westcoastdevfan headed back east?

westcoastdevfan

You had another one!! Sneaky! I remember the 2 boys and then you're girl and then the baby who I think was also a girl... that's four... congratulations are in order or do I have it wrong?

LOL! I have the THREE step sons....ages 12,9 and 8...Then we have our 2 little girls...ages 5(pic in avatar at 2003 SCF) and 20 months. So that's the break down. :dance:

The only thing I can tell you is that everyone I have ever met from Southern California who moved out here went back. Northern California seems to be different, they are somewhat more likely to adapt. But of those people I knew well, about 25 of of them, every one of them went back to SoCal. They hated the weather, especially the winters, they thought people were unfriendly and uptight and you had to travel too far to get to both the beach and the mountains and, I am not kidding, we didn't have real beaches and a real ocean. They said the water wasn't warm enough and the waves weren't big enough. The beaches were too rocky. Basically, it wasn't Southern California and it couldn't provide the same lifestyle.

I don't know your wife so I can't say if this would be her. I just know I heard the same thing from everyone I knew well from there and they all went back.

i like jersey, especially the rural areas. love north jersey especially union and morris counties, the great swamp etc. (lived there 7 years).

the winter weather would take some getting used to...remember we are spoiled in socal.

no more going to the super market in flip flops, shorts, t-shirt in november...

those step kids may hate it, especially the older ones. losing friends, climate, and culture shock could be traumatic.

I agree with sueNJ97 (and she is DEAD ON about how most socal people react to jersey). culture and climate is a lot different.

Liz, yes the water is generally warmer during the summer in the atlantic. I really dig the jersey shore.

but the surfers would just die without the waves...and that guy who needed a wet suit in july must have been a fairy...lol!

Big Bear mountain at over 11,000 feet just a 2 hour drive to ski, or some great skiing 5 or so hours north in Mammoth. skiing back east just does not even compare. same time you could drive out to palm springs or joshua tree...vegas is about 5 hours. the river, lake havasu, san diego, quick trips to mexico.

mexican food...better get used to not having any good mexican food...that in itself can be a deal breaker for some...lol!

northen california is AWESOME. I used to visit my grand pappy up in Chico, 1.5 hours north of sacramento(Butte county). Great college town, had the atmosphere of a town back east, magestic old homes, tree lined streets, but with a cool pioneer california feel. The country is amazing, especially the sierra nevada mountains!

don't get me wrong, i dig jersey...

what ever you do...GOOD LUCK!

Edited by ice dog

My wife and I moved from New Jersey to Southern California and have been here exactly a year now, so I think now I am starting to formulate a better opinion of the area. What I have come to realize is, people always tend to put labels on an entire region based on the actions of a few. The positives here are: The weather, simply amazing, no questions there...The fact that if you wanted to ski you can get there in 1-2 hours...then you can come back to 70 degree weather and go down to Huntington Beach and ride a bike etc.

The people here are almost like anywhere else when you cut right down to their core: Sure, there are fakes here in SoCal, but heck, youll find them anywhere. In fact, I seem to find more of them in the middle of the country then anywhere else, so to me, that issue is overrated. The negatives? 1500 sq foot house, with no basement, and hardly any land, can cost you, in a decent-good neighborhood, 600K, if you think NJ is overcrowded, come here and you will find parts of NJ that you thought were crowsed to be like the boonies....

Plus the jobs do not pay any more then anywhere else for the most part (San Fran region excluded). The traffic, simply terrible in certian spots, especialyl by LA on the 110, which always seem to be horrendou$. Another big negative is location, its strange, but after living in the NYC Metro area for 30+ years, and now here, I feel like I am on an island. Plus, coming back East to visit is a 6 hour flight, so we just do not have enough vacation between us to visit both of our families, as her family is in the Philippines.

Having said all this, we are leaning towards a return around the same time you are...if that comes to fruition, we should have a njdevs event celebrating our returns!!!

The people here are almost like anywhere else when you cut right down to their core: Sure, there are fakes here in SoCal, but heck, youll find them anywhere.

Indeed. People stereotype but even here in TX most people are no different than anywhere else. Sure you have the hicks and cowboy types but for the most part it's not that different.

Having said all this, we are leaning towards a return around the same time you are...if that comes to fruition, we should have a njdevs event celebrating our returns!!!

Did you consider anywhere else instead of going back to NJ? I think I remember you posting about that.

Even if we move back to Jersey for a couple of years, It is worth it. My family means alot to me, my wife and kids. To me, being near family trumps cold weather and rocky beaches. I think we pretty much set on a March/April date.

i like jersey, especially the rural areas. love north jersey especially union and morris counties, the great swamp etc. (lived there 7 years).

the winter weather would take some getting used to...remember we are spoiled in socal.

no more going to the super market in flip flops, shorts, t-shirt in november...

those step kids may hate it, especially the older ones. losing friends, climate, and culture shock could be traumatic.

I agree with sueNJ97 (and she is DEAD ON about how most socal people react to jersey). culture and climate is a lot different.

Liz, yes the water is generally warmer during the summer in the atlantic. I really dig the jersey shore.

but the surfers would just die without the waves...and that guy who needed a wet suit in july must have been a fairy...lol!

Big Bear mountain at over 11,000 feet just a 2 hour drive to ski, or some great skiing 5 or so hours north in Mammoth. skiing back east just does not even compare. same time you could drive out to palm springs or joshua tree...vegas is about 5 hours. the river, lake havasu, san diego, quick trips to mexico.

mexican food...better get used to not having any good mexican food...that in itself can be a deal breaker for some...lol!

northen california is AWESOME. I used to visit my grand pappy up in Chico, 1.5 hours north of sacramento(Butte county). Great college town, had the atmosphere of a town back east, magestic old homes, tree lined streets, but with a cool pioneer california feel. The country is amazing, especially the sierra nevada mountains!

don't get me wrong, i dig jersey...

what ever you do...GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Guest

I have been in jersey since 1985 and your right about the mexican food. I miss seeing the cherry classic cars on the road year round as well as being able to ride my harley year round. oh yeah, I miss the awsome sunsets. But I love jersey for the A-type mentality of the people who run around at 100 mph with their hair on fire (I'm a speed freak what can i say?) and call me crazy but I like the change in the seasons especially fall (football weather). edit: oh and the cali girls are great eye candy but the jersey girls are just as nice, I know I married one. :thumbsup:

Indeed. People stereotype but even here in TX most people are no different than anywhere else. Sure you have the hicks and cowboy types but for the most part it's not that different.

Did you consider anywhere else instead of going back to NJ? I think I remember you posting about that.

Edited by LOTCB

I'll still eat Taco Bell even though I'll prefer Taco Cabana over it any day. I just won't consider it Mexican. It's like when people still eat Pizza Hut in Jersey when there are plenty of better pizza joints around.

Hey guys, does the Weather during those Winters in New Jersey are similar to our Winters(In Quebec)? Here, its always between -10 degrees to -25 degrees.

But, for the last year, we only had 2-3 -20+ degrees so..

?

You are using Celsius, correct?

For us, that would be +14 to -13. It rarely gets as cold here as your coldest days. The higher end of your scale is the colder end of ours, although it can get colder than that. Even though many of us don't mind the cold weather, we tend to get unhappy when it gets much colder than the high end of your scale for a long time. Especially if there is wind included.