A Bold Solution to Defensive Issues

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

This plan is so crazy it just might work.

Our Best dmen currently are:

1. Greene

2. Martin

3. Rachunek

4. VV

5/6. MOTTAU ODUYA DOUBLE HEADED MONSTER OF SUCK

That is horrendous. Perhaps a bold move is required to solve the D issues:

And that is: Move Brylin to Dman

Have at it.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Moving Brylin to defense? Hmmmm.....

No thanks. I think it's important to go through the growing pains with our corp of young d-men. Making a radical move like that sounds like desperation and right now the Devils are not desperate. Ask me again later in December when we are 10 points out of a playoff spot. :koolaid:

I appreciate the creativity but Brylin can't skate well enough to be a defenseman. I also have to disagree with your list, while Mottau is a career AHLer, he has been one of the best defenseman this year. Sure he is bound to fall back down to his normal playing ability, but until then he should be higher. Rachunek and Oduya have looked horrible, but I expect Oduya to turn it around. I think Vishnevski should be re-paired with Martin. Those two looked great together in the opener. Greene has looked pretty good this year too.

I hope White is able to make a full recovery, the defensive corps is scary without him.

This is an easy one for Brylin...no,no, and more no. I mean, we still badly need this guy on an offense that just started to get working last Sat. His goal helped turn the tide as well. Motteau just needs time to get used to the NHL pace (unfortunately time is scarce for us right now on a 9 game roadtrip). Martin and VV definately need to be paired up more. Oduya is "consistently inconsistent" and Rachunek has yet to show some elite defenseive skills. Moving any forward to "D" would definately be "hitting the panic button". :noclue:

Solutions to the Devils defensive woes:

Put Matvichuk in then trade him when White gets back if he really doesn't fit Sutter's style

Trade Matvichuk and a third round draft pick(?) for someone who fits Sutter's style

Bench Rachunek and Oduya

Give Brookbank a shot

Send Mottau back to the AHL when he returns to normal form and bring Rachunek back into the mix

There's obviously so many problems with this defense that Matvichuk should have been playing since the beginning of the season at least until White comes back. That's what I don't get. It's weird, because before we signed Asham and back when I thought we werent resigning Rupp I was thinking maybe Oduya should move up to fourth line wing, because he definitely doesn't fit on defense.

He crosses the Blueline with his head down.... a Brylin delivers a crushing body check.... he's out before he hit the.....

or maybe not

Brylin?

He has neither size nor speed. How would he be better than Oduya or Mottau?

None of the Devils prospect defenseman are NHL ready. Moran and GP are fine stop gaps, kind of like Mottau and, I'm guessing, Bookbrank or whatever his name is. Fraser and Corrente could probably play 3rd pairing minutes next year, IMO, with Fraser being more likely since his game is simpler and he will have AHL experience.