SOUTH OF THE BORDER - WERE HERE !!!!! -----

El Diablo

As someone said earlier.. there was really only one issue with the whole trip, and that was the parking locations. I also parked in the Green lot, and when i pulled in, there was a group of 15-20 (I am not racist) african americans hanging out, some without shirts on, and all smoking, (and i wasn't absolutely posotive they were cigaretts). They didn't cause any trouble at all, but i can definately see some concern, and i was at the point of walking past them nervous for me and my 3 sons.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said earlier.. there was really only one issue with the whole trip, and that was the parking locations. I also parked in the Green lot, and when i pulled in, there was a group of 15-20 (I am not racist) African Americans hanging out, some without shirts on, and all smoking, (and i wasn't absolutely positive they were cigarettes). They didn't cause any trouble at all, but i can definitely see some concern, and i was at the point of walking past them nervous for me and my 3 sons.

Id be nervous walking past them but Id b nervous walking past any large group. On friday nights i walk through a parking lot in ledgewood about 1/4 of a mile to a CVS on the other end of the lot and there are like 30 people... probably ranging from age 17-23 hanging out smoking and drinking.. and Im nervous walking by them... cause I am all alone. Its not even about violence... I dont want them heckling me or cat calling or whatever... Any group that outnumbers me that much makes me scared.

So I can understand being nervous about it regardless of the color of their skin, just in that area... most people we past hanging on the streets were not white... that was the observation I had at least. Would be just as cautious and nervous no matter the race.

Id be nervous walking past them but Id b nervous walking past any large group. On friday nights i walk through a parking lot in ledgewood about 1/4 of a mile to a CVS on the other end of the lot and there are like 30 people... probably ranging from age 17-23 hanging out smoking and drinking.. and Im nervous walking by them... cause I am all alone. Its not even about violence... I dont want them heckling me or cat calling or whatever... Any group that outnumbers me that much makes me scared.

So I can understand being nervous about it regardless of the color of their skin, just in that area... most people we past hanging on the streets were not white... that was the observation I had at least. Would be just as cautious and nervous no matter the race.

Ledgewood, you mean by TGI Fridays? Those are just d-bag kids with their rice rocket cars hanging out in the parking lot...But i know what you mean large groups of people with nothing better to do than do nothing in public suck.

Ya i mean im not scared im gonna get murdered... I just get nervous walking around crowds alone regardless of their race.

I think the best thing would have been for him/her to just describe the actions and the amount of people rather than mention race and it would have been a little better.

:)

You ever been by the McDonalds in Ledgewood, the one closest to the movie theater?

Talk about like, 30-40 kids easy, all standing outside of the McDonalds doing drugs and thinking of ways to start trouble.

I have not - but thats exactly what i mean.. its like they are loud and hanging out.. they have no problem yelling at cars driving by or being obnoxious with littering all over and revving their engines.. so while i dont expect one to pull out a gun or knife on me.. I just dont enjoy walking past the groups in general

Although if it were a group of little kids in the Mickey Ds playground, I bet I could take them :)

There are plenty of bars/restaurants from Mulberry to the Ironbound. The problem is you didn't bother to look around or ask. You just judged everything by the Broad St. side.

Scully's-Clinton St. 2 blocks north via Mulberry

Arena Bar-Green and Mulberry, block south of the arena

City Cafe(sports bar)-2 blocks south on Mulberry

Hell's Kitchen-Lafayette/Buren, Ironbound, 4 blocks

Market St. Bar/Grill-Gateway Center

Cafe Airlie-Commerce Street, 3 blocks north on Mulberry

As for shopping, go to Newport or Jersey Gardens.

Well Broad street looks like a war zone.

Yes I know about the Ironbound section and I agree that is a nice area and probably coming from Penn Station will be OK....but you cannot avoid the other blighted areas in such close proximity.

I want this thing to succeed as much as anyone.

I was born in Newark and I went to high school and college in Newark. Before the exodus to the suburbs and the malls...we used to shop and go to the movies in Newark...I can only hope...

Edited by mackchi

Well Broad street looks like a war zone.

Yes I know about the Ironbound section and I agree that is a nice area and probably coming from Penn Station will be OK....but you cannot avoid the other blighted areas in such close proximity.

I want this thing to succeed as much as anyone.

I was born in Newark and I went to high school and college in Newark. Before the exodus to the suburbs and the malls...we used to shop and go to the movies in Newark...I can only hope...

Nah while Broad St is a joke it resembles 125th St. in Harlem. Well south of Market St. anyway.

And Yankee/Shea Stadiums are in blighted areas too. Their new ballparks will be in blighted areas. To put it further the Blackhawks, Kings and Red Wings and to a lesser extent the Capitals and Thrashers play in the ghetto and they draw. So this better not be an excuse for us. And I also was born in Newark and currently live right next to it.

Edited by Marv4Life