Experience @ the Arena...Opening NIght

oofrostonoo

I love the arena, everything was nice and easy to navigate around. It looks amazing at night and i cant wait for some nice businesses and bars to start sprouting up around the arena.

THe goal music and intro videos are pretty cool.

The goal horn was very low however and i dont like that there is only one Digital only clock in the middle on the Jumbotron(which is amazing by the way)

The lines for food were short and you had many options. The people who were serving the food the 2 times i went to the stand might of been brain dead i couldn't tell. They messed up the simplest thing and were totally unfriendly. Im not making a blanket statement but the people at this particular one gave a bad impression to alot of people. It was a big issue and i almost dunked a womens head in the deep fryer. I know it was the first night but anyone with a second grade education could have avoided their errors.

Edited by oofrostonoo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The third period sucked but I my experience was pretty good. I took the train from Penn Station, New York into Newark. It was weird being in New York Penn and seeing all these Ranger fans coming into the city from Jersey to go to the Rags game and seeing tons of Devils fans from New York going to Jersey.

I met my parents at the game and they parked right by the federal courthouse with no traffic issues. My one complaint is that wait to get in the building was absolutely ridiculous. They need more entrances or something. The game itself obviously blew and it sucked how quiet it was. When it got loud it was loud but that wasn't all that often. I was also shocked how many luxury boxes were unsold.

After the game we zipped out of the parking lot in 2 seconds and headed over to the Ironbound and had dinner at the Brasilia Grill. Decent place. Not the best in the Ironbound but pretty good. I'm definitely excited about going to the Rock. I had a lot of fun. I just wish they could've won.

Edited by pattyelias

Most of the people working there were very friendly and helpful. A few girls behind the counter were the ones I would say sucked. Idk about the homeless shelter though.

i was being sarcastic...they will probably wind up firing a number of people in the first month.

weed out the nimrods etc.

Eh, I wasn't really impressed. Its a nice arena, its new, its not bad but for me it didnt live up to the hype.

Sightlines were ok, food wasnt bad and moving around the arena was fine but the bathrooms have too few stalls, there was no where to eat or sit other then at your seat, the LCD screens on the scoreboard are super crisp and clear...but about twice as small as they should be, those electric rings that run around the arena where making the rink ligher and darker based on if it was a bright advertisment or not (it was distracting for a fan, it must have totally sucked for a player). It also didnt feel like there were that many vendors, infact I only saw 2 little devil den stores for merchandise where as CAA had one every 10 feet. At the end of the first I attempted to go in one, but it was so small it was filled with 30 people and they were all basically in line snaked around inside. I got there around 5 hoping there would be things going on but all I saw was some singer in booth, I did see the cup when i got inside which was nice but it felt like they didnt invest much into activities for the people there.

Not disapointed, but I wasn't wow'd like a lot of others.

I missed almost the entire 2nd period waiting for Mucho Nacho to get cheese, until I noticed that there was four minutes left in the period and I was waiting since the 1st intermission, so I just went to my seat and decided to get nachos during the 2nd intermission instead.

Luckily I was at the one upstairs with the open concourse so I guess I didn't actually miss anything.

I missed the NJDevs gathering in the 2nd intermission because I was at the other Mucho Nacho waiting in the beer line. I asked for nachos, they said you have to wait in the other line. There was no distinction between nacho and beer line, I don't know how I'm supposed to know where to stand.

With that said, that was my only negative experience. Everything else kicked ass.

Just got home from the game...I had a great time even though we lost.

I actually like the goal song A LOT more than "Ole," and I didn't hear the horn too well/don't really remember it enough to give my opinion on that.

The arena is beautiful, I absolutely loved it! I liked how the Cup and Vezina were on display, along with a couple game worn NJ Devils jerseys and the locker room display with Madden, Parise, Gionta, and Brodeur.

Without a doubt, the best part of the night for me was the Ice Lounge. I was one of the first people in the arena, so even though my tickets were in 119, I went to the lower level to watch warmups. I eventually decided to go get something to eat instead of watching the warmups, and while trying to make my way back to the lower concourse, I stumbled into the Ice Lounge! I have no idea how it happened...I just accidentally walked on the wrong side of the barrier making my way up the stairs (next to the club seat section but not actually even in it!). So I enjoyed free pizza, burgers, french fries, soda, and salmon, filet mignon, rice, and pasta from the buffet before leaving the Ice Lounge to go to my actual seats!! Talk about good luck...I couldn't have snuck in there if I tried!

Another cool thing was the player parking lot right in the back...Kevin Weekes pulled in and parked literally inches from me!

I missed almost the entire 2nd period waiting for Mucho Nacho to get cheese, until I noticed that there was four minutes left in the period and I was waiting since the 1st intermission, so I just went to my seat and decided to get nachos during the 2nd intermission instead.

Luckily I was at the one upstairs with the open concourse so I guess I didn't actually miss anything.

I missed the NJDevs gathering in the 2nd intermission because I was at the other Mucho Nacho waiting in the beer line. I asked for nachos, they said you have to wait in the other line. There was no distinction between nacho and beer line, I don't know how I'm supposed to know where to stand.

With that said, that was my only negative experience. Everything else kicked ass.

Pst...the meet was during the first intermission anyway :lol:

I missed the NJDevs gathering in the 2nd intermission because I was at the other Mucho Nacho waiting in the beer line.

Actually it was the first intermission. Kind of a psuedo-gathering, maybe 10-12 people were there, probably because nobody could find a way to get downstairs :P They don't mark the stairs exits too well.

Pst...the meet was during the first intermission anyway :lol:
Actually it was the first intermission. Kind of a psuedo-gathering, maybe 10-12 people were there, probably because nobody could find a way to get downstairs :P They don't mark the stairs exits too well.

:doh1:

Ah well in that case I guess it doesn't matter that I was on line for so long.

Several bums asked me for the change waiting for the Light Rail at Branch Brook Station and it was difficult getting into the arena ESPECIALLY at the team store. The line wasnt moving at all. My father and I went outside to the tower and got in pretty quick. Overall it was a great event but a win would had been even greater.

Overall my experience was great. I took the train to Broad St. and got on the free shuttle to the arena. It dropped us off round 6pm at the entrance under the offices, it only took a few minutes to get it in and the crowd wasn't bad. Everything looked great, the views were spectacular, and the entire place has just such a great hockey presence. 3 things that I did not like: 1.) At least on the lower concourse the food lines were SLOW, even though they were short. 2.) The Devils Den stores were so small it was a joke. 3.) My friend wanted to go outside to smoke, so I went with him figuring I'd get a nice walk around of the arena. The battle to the ONLY smoking area was like navigating through CAA once again. You had to go all the way out to one of the cylinders to smoke. Once out there I was talking to one of the workers who said that there are balconies outside, but you are not allowed to use them. This just brings me to the point that it seems like this place needs more space for non-club seat holders to go. With so many food vendors on the concourse area, theres no real good place to socialize or eat outside of your seats...unless of course you've got the premium tickets to enter the lounges, bar, restaurant etc...

On a better note, I felt the arena staff was superb. The food vendors were a different story, not pleased with them. The staff members were very helpful and friendly. I even had some small talk about the inner workings of the arena with one (guy in the black suit jacket... security guards?). This is a great new arena, and I think once they work the minor kinks out it will truly be even better. I also kept in mind that tonight was opening night and it was a full house which accounted for the crowding. So many in future games it'll be easier to get around.

3.) My friend wanted to go outside to smoke, so I went with him figuring I'd get a nice walk around of the arena. The battle to the ONLY smoking area was like navigating through CAA once again. You had to go all the way out to one of the cylinders to smoke.

I had huge arguments with security and other badged people about this. I actually shook Kevin Smith's hand on one of the balconies before they threw all of us off saying we weren't allowed to smoke there, however NONE of the staff we talked to knew where we WERE allowed to smoke, so I spent the second intermission wandering in circles having increasingly angry arguments with the fvcking know-nothing staff. Everyone sent us to different places, nobody had an answer. It was the dumbest sh!t ever. Especially since the balconies are perfect places to smoke, they even have smoking towers out there.

2) Trying to get in pre-6:00 was a joke, they had nowhere near enough ticket lines, but around 6:35 they opened up more lines so everyone got in in time, but still, not early enough for us to really explore.

3) The pizza line won't sell you a hot dog even though they're one huge connected kitchen. The pizza was meh.

4) I love all the types of beer they've got, (ranging form 7.00 - 8.00 in price) BUT

5) The staff couldn't figure out how to swipe my credit card. Twice. And I don't like bringing cash.

That sh!t needs to be fixed. Other than that, and the fact we lost, it was pretty bangin' all around. The urinals have the Devils logo stamped on the top. Crazy.

Took forever to get into the arena. Was there at 5:30 at the main entrance and I didn't get into the arena until 6:30. Didn't get to walk anywhere and missed the cup and just about everything going on in the concourses. This was horrendous. Thousands of people trying to cram into a couple doors. Don't know where else everyone else was, but the food lines were monsterous upstairs. It took me three attempts to get a program at the Devils Den stand for a grand total of about 40 minutes. Two women working at the entire stand, the merchandise was laid out in a rediculous manner. One of the women actually closed out her cash register in the middle of intermission causing a 5 minute delay. The cups are way too big for the cupholders, someone knocked my soda over from the cupholder into my seat, soaking it while I was trying to get a program. Nobody was being stopped from going to their seats while play was in progress, completely blocking my view of the entire ice surface. I almost reached a breaking point by the third period with dumbasses completely ignoring logic and standing on the stairs and walking to their seats. As for the seats, I don't care what anyone says, they're rediculously tight. We have aisle seats in 232 and if anyone needs to get through, even if you stand up there is absolutely no room for them to get by. The view when I could see the ice, was obstructed by a railing and glass partition at the front of the section.

I love the atmosphere in the place. When Marty was introduced, my ears rung and it was louder than anything the dump in the swamp produced. The food was great, even though it was pricey, it was worth it. Double hot dog from Jimmy Buffs, enough said. These losses will be easier to swallow with some good food. Taking the train was beyond easy. Such a pleasure. I'm really looking forward to Thursday and a crowd of 12,000 so I can explore the place some more and actually try to enjoy the game. So much more to see and do there and I look forward to that.

Took forever to get into the arena. Was there at 5:30 at the main entrance and I didn't get into the arena until 6:30. Didn't get to walk anywhere and missed the cup and just about everything going on in the concourses. This was horrendous. Thousands of people trying to cram into a couple doors. Don't know where else everyone else was, but the food lines were monsterous upstairs. It took me three attempts to get a program at the Devils Den stand for a grand total of about 40 minutes. Two women working at the entire stand, the merchandise was laid out in a rediculous manner. One of the women actually closed out her cash register in the middle of intermission causing a 5 minute delay. The cups are way too big for the cupholders, someone knocked my soda over from the cupholder into my seat, soaking it while I was trying to get a program. Nobody was being stopped from going to their seats while play was in progress, completely blocking my view of the entire ice surface. I almost reached a breaking point by the third period with dumbasses completely ignoring logic and standing on the stairs and walking to their seats. As for the seats, I don't care what anyone says, they're rediculously tight. We have aisle seats in 232 and if anyone needs to get through, even if you stand up there is absolutely no room for them to get by. The view when I could see the ice, was obstructed by a railing and glass partition at the front of the section.

I love the atmosphere in the place. When Marty was introduced, my ears rung and it was louder than anything the dump in the swamp produced. The food was great, even though it was pricey, it was worth it. Double hot dog from Jimmy Buffs, enough said. These losses will be easier to swallow with some good food. Taking the train was beyond easy. Such a pleasure. I'm really looking forward to Thursday and a crowd of 12,000 so I can explore the place some more and actually try to enjoy the game. So much more to see and do there and I look forward to that.

If you show upon Thursday there is going to be a crowd of zero because the game against the Lightning is on Wednesday. I think you're off on the attendance prediction. My guess is 11,000. The tickets are just way too expensive. I think Vanderbeek got a little piggish with the pricing. Maybe a crappy season and a lot of empty seats will lead to a market correction. The last row behind the goal should not be $65. That is bs. The $100 mezzanine seats are also bs. The upper and lower bowls are priced fairly but the mezzanine and balcony are completely out of whack.

If you show upon Thursday there is going to be a crowd of zero because the game against the Lightning is on Wednesday. I think you're off on the attendance prediction. My guess is 11,000. The tickets are just way too expensive. I think Vanderbeek got a little piggish with the pricing. Maybe a crappy season and a lot of empty seats will lead to a market correction. The last row behind the goal should not be $65. That is bs. The $100 mezzanine seats are also bs. The upper and lower bowls are priced fairly but the mezzanine and balcony are completely out of whack.

I've been saying Thursday all night for some reason. Those $100 and $65 sections are gonna be a ghost town and I'll be moving down there on most nights if the ushers are as lax as they were tonight. I'm looking forward to them getting all the bugs worked out in the coming weeks so it will be easier to actually enjoy this arena to its fullest.

As for the seats, I don't care what anyone says, they're rediculously tight. We have aisle seats in 232 and if anyone needs to get through, even if you stand up there is absolutely no room for them to get by. The view when I could see the ice, was obstructed by a railing and glass partition at the front of the section.

I noticed that as well during the open house, it seems like they made the seats wider depending on where your sitting. The clubs seats are the biggest(obviously) but than the rest of the lower bowl seats are bigger than the ones on the mezzanine but those are wider than the upper decks.

Seems like the new motto could be you get what you pay for.

A few things based on what's already been said:

Getting in was a cluster fvck. Why did they wait until after you got in those narrow doors before seperating the crowd into lines? :noclue:

Sneaking into the ice lounge: Had I remembered there was free food...:doh1:... I watched the entirety of warmups from the top of the Sens locker room tunnel. After they were over, I just walked up the nearest aisle and on into the lounge. No one checked a ticket or anything like they did at the entrance from the concourse.

Going out for a smoke: Why are they requiring tickets for this sh!t? Where are the stamps? And if they're so worried about it why not do a better job cordoning off an area?

I went down with one other person during the first intermission. I had my ticket, he didn't. So when we were told we needed a ticket to get back in, we just took turns. When we were getting on the escalators to go back to our seats we were asked for a ticket AGAIN! We were already in the building!

And we missed the first couple of minutes of the 2nd and first 5 of the 3rd. I thought, "Why not have balconies for those in the 100 and 200 sections since there are 2 major sets of stairs/escalators to get down and then again going back up. Now I find out they did have balconies but you're not allowed to smoke on them? WTF?

And I only dealt with one vendor and it was just for a couple of beers.

I absolutely had a great time and that doesn't even include the positive result in the game :tomato: <wipes off tomato> Anyway, the kinks will be worked out, hopefully excepting that ice lounge loophole.

Also, great capper to the night: Waiting at Penn Station to be able to go onto the platform for the 10:25 NEC train and starting the first "Rangers suck!" chant and a "Gomez sucks!" chant when some blueshirts got down the stairs.

That and the girls in the skanky Holloween costumes in the station.

- Got to the arena about 3:30 p.m. ... saw the line of people waiting for $10 tickets. A dude walked into line wearing an old school Rangers jacket and was met with "Rangers Suck, Gomez Swallows" chants.

- Made my way to the Arena Bar. Nice little place. Extremey cool place to meet before games.

- Getting into the arena took too long tonight. Coulda gotten another beer at the Arena Bar.

- The Stanley Cup was in the house! It was the first thing I saw after coming up the escalators. Along with the Vezina and every sweater in Devils history, including one badass sweater from the '60's with the Jersey Devil on it. I'll upload a photo later.

- The jumbotron is beaufiful.

- Balentine Ale is delicious.

- Gary Buttman got booed like a mofo.

- The pre-game ceremony (just a stupid puck-dropping) seemed to suck the life out of the crowd.

- The view from 127 was decent. Same height as mid-upper level at CAA, but closer to the ice, if that makes sense. I'm a pretty skinny guy, and I scraped my arse on the cupholders every time I tried to sit down. Dem be some narrow a$$ seats!

- The Tastes Of Newark stands upstairs only sold the food on the signs immediately behind the registers. I tried getting a single Italian hot dog at the register next to the one where it was advertised, and even though it was all the same consession stand, they told me I had to get into the other line. I didn't get in the other line. To hell with that.

- After the Sens scored their second goal, a pair of particularly rotund Ottawa fans stood and cheered in my section. I yelled "It's good to see that obesity isn't only an American problem!" My yell was met with mixed reviews.

- After the game, I walked up to an usher at the Ice Bar. I asked if regular ticket holding folk like myself could get in after the game ended. He said we normally couldn't, but the bar was closed so I could pop in and peep around. Well, they weren't done selling drinks, and my two other friends made their way in as well. Cranberry and vodka cost $12 a pop.

- While we were in the Ice Bar, my buddy turned to me and said, "Hey, is that Kenny Daneyko?" Well, it was Dano! I shook his hand and told him I wished he was still on the ice because our D could sure use him. He said his knees wouldn't hold up, but Kenny being the genuine guy he is was flattered nonetheless. He seemed honestly disturbed by how bad the defense is. He also stopped to sign anything and take photos with fans. I'll upload my photo with him later too.

- Note to all: Kenny Daneyko is the man!!!!! (in case you didn't already know)

- Went back to the Arena Bar afterwards. That place rules!

- Took the train home, missed the Pt. Pleasant stop because me and my buddy were too busy BSing with other hockey fans. We ended up walking back to Point along the train tracks from Bay Head.

Extremely memorable night!