A-Rod Opts Out, Then Re-signs

thefiestygoat

Quite honestly I find the Yankees' protesting over and over again about not negotiating with A-Rod a bit of hot air at this point. They said the same things about not giving in on Clemens' 'family plan' and what happened, they eventually gave Clemens Fort Knox and begged him to come back for half a season.

But Bora$$ is even more of a jerk than I give him credit for. It's not as if A-Rod opting out isn't going to be big news no matter what, but he just HAS to announce it during the World Series, managing to upstage BOTH the Red Sox and the Yankees (with their manager search) in one fell swoop. It's neck and neck as to who has the biggest ego in sports this week, Bora$$ or Belicheat.

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a Boras client. Boras thinks a team will offer him an extra penny and that is good enough. He will go to Anaheim and swat homers in obscurity.

As for the Yankees there is no way to spin this into a positive - unless you are one of those Yankee fans who obsess over the payroll (personally I don't think it was high enough this year since they did not win). You don't just replace A-Rod's numbers. Not only that but it takes their only right handed power threat out of the mix. The Yankees, theoretically, can have a lineup with 8 lefties and Jeter next year. That is not good.

I don't want that steroid freak Lowell but there is not much else available at 3B.

They better not make him a free agent offer. He clearly does not want to be here. Don't do him any favors.

Edgar Renteria has been traded to the Detroit Tigers...I do not recall seeing deals like this the day AFTER a World Series and the timing is somewhat interesting given the A-Rod announcement, maybe Atlanta, a team is desperate need of a big ticket item, makes the plunge?

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.

The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

It was the first major trade for new Braves GM Frank Wren, who took over when John Schuerholz stepped aside this month to become team president.

Renteria, a five-time All-Star, has a .291 career batting average over 12 seasons. The deal reunites him with Detroit manager Jim Leyland, who was in charge when Renteria and the Marlins won the World Series in 1997.

"Edgar is a premier major league player that is a great fit for our club," Leyland said. "I have a great history with him and I'm looking forward to being reunited with him."

Jurrjens started seven games for the Tigers this year, going 3-1 record and 4.70 ERA. Hernandez batted .293 with four homers and 50 RBIs for Single-A West Michigan this season.

A-rod looks like the biggest a$$hole in all of sports. His reasoning behind leaving is absolute bullsh!t. He signed with the Texas Rangers for 10 years and that team blew. Now all of a sudden he is worried about the direction of the Yankees with their different free agents. What a joke. I've lost all respect for the guy and it's really a shame since I've been a fan of his since he and Jeter came up.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like A-Fraud may make a return to the Yankees:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://arod.mlb.com/players/rodriguez_alex...sp?story=111407

"An official statement from A-Rod - he and his wife spoke with the Steinbrenners today. Contract talks are expected to continue and it looks positive. I'm also getting emailers from readers who have heard from John Sterling, Yankees radio announcer. Sterling apparently has a source close to Rodriguez saying that the chance of A-Rod re-signing is 101 on a scale of 1 to 100. "

------------------

I am really disappointed that the Yankees are even entertaining A-Fraud. They should tell him to go to hell but it looks like they are being extremely weak. If this guy ends up back on the Yankees there is no way I would cheer for him. He is talented but he is also a pretty, rich boy, who chokes in the playoffs. If he ends up back on the Yankees then I will boo him every chance I get regardless of his performance.

Yea seems that according to all the local media the deal is about done and A-Rod is going to return for around 275 million. Gotta love the fact that Boris was banned from the negotiations by the yankees. In the end its a good move on both parts if it happens. Arod can begin rebuilding his image by taking less money and choosing to go back to New York and now the Yankees dont have to worry about trading away all their young stars for a 3rd basemen.

please, not lowell. please not another horrendous signing based on a lucky year.

alex rodriguez is pure vanity - i get the sense that when you make as much money as alex does, it's not about money anymore - it's about being #1. there's still a chance he signs with the yankees - it's entirely possible that brian cashman was bluffing. boras is calling that bluff. now the yankees wait for the market to appear for a-rod, and swoop in with an offer if there's no one who wants his absurd asking price.

Edited by Triumph

Should this go down the Yankees front office looks awesome. They tamed Boras something that was thought impossible by a lot of people. They stuck to their guns, they did not chase A-Rod after he opted out. Alex came crawling back and, it appears, accepted the Yankees terms. If they had come running after A-Rod and offered him $350M or whatever then they would have looked foolish. As it is playing out they look brilliant.

They stuck to their guns, they did not chase A-Rod after he opted out. Alex came crawling back and, it appears, accepted the Yankees terms. If they had come running after A-Rod and offered him $350M or whatever then they would have looked foolish. As it is playing out they look brilliant.
Edited by Jerrydevil

I guess you can choose to look at it that way. I think good-bye was the best option. Boras might have been humbled, but the A-Rod circus will continue, and his post-season record still hangs ominously ... and hopefully that will continue until he is 42 or whenever his contrat runs out.

Next up for Yankees: a Giambi extension. :boogie: