An Observation

Derek21

I realize this is a redundant topic but nevertheless.

Patrik Elias was invisible last night. He's basically on the Devils' third line and hardly seems to fit Sutter's style of just skating north-south and taking it hard to the net a la your Parise-Zajac-Gionta line which buzzed most of last night creating several chances.

The Madden line has become a reliable second option. When you see your new coach using them on the power play, it tells you how much he thinks of them.

Which leaves Elias. He's always been a streaky scorer with great ability who usually comes to life in the second half. This guy gets paid top dollar and now he looks like an afterthought. When does the alarm finally sound and this guy who's one of the better talented forwards when he wants to be finally plays like it?

I just can't believe this is the same guy sometimes. There's a move here or there and then nothing else. It's like being teased to death.

Is this guy going to wake up and is being on the third line killing his game?

we'll find out when Langenbrunner gets back... I like Clarkson and Asham... but when they are on his RW, that's bad.... they were also hoping Zubris would be of use with him.... that too hasn't happened... and it shows with Brylin as his center, but like the situation with the #1 d-man we ain't got... I don't see how you fix it

Derek, he hasn't found a line combination he's comfortable with yet. it's clear to me that this is the reason why he is tentative. While Elias is a gifted, skilled player, he is not the type that immediately makes players around him better; when he has line mates that mesh with him well, he will shine. I think it's about trying to find the right combination.

It's also another reason why he's IMO not the best leader (read Captain) for this team.

Perhaps Zubrus being on the Madden line is a good thing. But to get Elias going, if that's possible (and I mean that)... Perhaps they need to do put ZUby back with ELias and try to get them going again when Jamie comes back..

Parise-Zajac-Clarkson/GIonta

Pandolfo-Madden-LAngenbrunner/Clarkson

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta/LAngenbrunner

Rupp-Pelley-Brylin

Make sense?

When Pandolfo and Madden turn back into the stone hands players they really are, things should go better when Zubrus is put back with Elias. No way Zubrus should stay there permanently.

FWIW, Elias drew about 4 defenders to him leaving Brylin wide open on last night's goal. I thought he had a much better game last night than against the Lightning.

Edited by Triumph

Gomez has 5 points in 13 games Derek. Make a thread about that while youre on it. Shanahan isnt doing any better who has 7 points also.

Pretty much, the season is early and Elias hasnt been one to get his big points early. Look at his monthly stats and his numbers always exploded around December.

That puts him on pace for 44 points in a season. Is it your belief that $6M is the right compensation for 44 point?

No... I say he's playing "eh"... not terrible..not horrific ...not lost... just like most teams that have had this levelof turnover.... they're finding their way

it's why they play 8200 games!

I wish I could say I'm not bothered by Elias' "slow-start", but I'd be lying if I did.

Straight up, I'm really aggravated with the way Elias has been playing since the start of last season. I mean, how does the guy go from completely dominating an entire team for a whole playoff series, to struggling to even get past the opposing blue line??

Patrik, excuses aside, pal. It's time to remove your head from the depths of your ass.

Gomez has 5 points in 13 games Derek. Make a thread about that while youre on it. Shanahan isnt doing any better who has 7 points also.

hrm, this is a devils forum and derek is starting an interesting topic about an issue that most of us are thinking about, stop being an a$$

this really is starting to feel like the beginning of that season when we were missing elias and he came back after christmas and the devils stormed into the playoffs, don't know if white/langs can have the same impact.

i hope that unless elias can find a spot in sutter's system, sutter can tweak it one elias line, the devils really need him to perform if they are going to go anywhere

it's funny - points aside, i think elias has been playing pretty well. i see him buzzing around, forechecking, throwing hits, and being involved in the offensive play. the points haven't been there yet and he has yet to get any consistency as far as linemates are concerned.

i think when langenbrunner comes back, you'll see him move back with zajac and parise and you'll get another kick at the elias-zubrus-gionta can.

Elias has played smart two way hockey all season. For the first time in his Devils career he has no support up front. Zajac is the only quality offensive center on the team and he and Parise are too good to split up.

I have no idea why Elias is playing the point on the PP, its almost as dumb as having Oduya as your first line defensemen. Elias plays best down low, once Sutter learns more about the team the PP will improve once Elias plays in the right position.

Once Langs comes back he will be back with Z&Z.

hrm, this is a devils forum and derek is starting an interesting topic about an issue that most of us are thinking about, stop being an a$$

Bingo.

Also agree with sundstrom's comments. Elias has been more engaged the last two games I saw (missed Toronto & the Rangers), but he just doesn't have it goin' yet. Yes, I'd like more production from him and yes, I'm worried about it... but I still hold out hope for Langs' return to spark something. That could really bring things around if he's in top shape and everyone can stay healthy.

I have no idea why Elias is playing the point on the PP, its almost as dumb as having Oduya as your first line defensemen. Elias plays best down low, once Sutter learns more about the team the PP will improve once Elias plays in the right position.

To be fair, Manta - Elias had one of his best point-producing nights when he was moved to the point on the PP. And he actually has a slapshot... which is a foreign concept to most Devils players. When Langs returns, he'll man the point.

Bingo.

Also agree with sundstrom's comments. Elias has been more engaged the last two games I saw (missed Toronto & the Rangers), but he just doesn't have it goin' yet. Yes, I'd like more production from him and yes, I'm worried about it... but I still hold out hope for Langs' return to spark something. That could really bring things around if he's in top shape and everyone can stay healthy.

To be fair, Manta - Elias had one of his best point-producing nights when he was moved to the point on the PP. And he actually has a slapshot... which is a foreign concept to most Devils players. When Langs returns, he'll man the point.

I have been less concerned about Elias actually scoring goals right now because, let's face it, his M.O. has almost always been to start slow and heat up sometime in December. I was never clear on how signing the big contract was going to change this. However, I did want to see the rest of his game come around and it seems it has. I would like to see them settle on some lines once Langs comes back and stick with them - I think this will do more to help things than anything else.

Pretty much, the season is early and Elias hasnt been one to get his big points early. Look at his monthly stats and his numbers always exploded around December.

It's a Devils board or so I'm always told.

Gomez was my team's best forward last night and has been playing better. Nice to see the coach get a clue and put two speedy forwards with him.

this really is starting to feel like the beginning of that season when we were missing elias and he came back after christmas and the devils stormed into the playoffs, don't know if white/langs can have the same impact.

i hope that unless elias can find a spot in sutter's system, sutter can tweak it one elias line, the devils really need him to perform if they are going to go anywhere

Thanks!