Devils have almost $4M is Cap Space

msweet

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NJD

With Malmivaara, Bergfors and Matvichuk in Lowell

and that doesn't include temporary cap space with White and Janssen on IR

If White ends up missing the year, it will be closer to $7M in cap space

What does Lou do with the space?

At it also makes me realize we are fielding (especially without Langs and White) a low cost team (almost $10M under Cap).

I don't think Lou does anything with it, honestly. There's no reason to sell out future seasons for this one. The Devils are running at below the salary cap for a reason; they're not going to make any money otherwise. They're already paying Elias 1.5 million more than his cap hit and Richard Matvichuk is getting paid too. I don't know how insurance works these days - how much of Langenbrunner and White's salary are being taken care of.

If the Devils could get a straight salary dump from somewhere, they might consider it on defense. I don't see it happening.

I don't think Lou does anything with it, honestly. There's no reason to sell out future seasons for this one. The Devils are running at below the salary cap for a reason; they're not going to make any money otherwise. They're already paying Elias 1.5 million more than his cap hit and Richard Matvichuk is getting paid too. I don't know how insurance works these days - how much of Langenbrunner and White's salary are being taken care of.

If the Devils could get a straight salary dump from somewhere, they might consider it on defense. I don't see it happening.

Ah the concept of an NHL team as a business trying not to lose money... what a novel concept that we fans almost never consider.

We view White's and Lang's salaries as gone, when in fact I'm sure NJ disability Ins is not actually cutting the check. And I'd be surprised if there was insurance to cover most of it.

So it comes down to in many cases, win and lose money or lose and win money.

Well langs is acctually back and practicing with the team now so his sallery is being counted against the cap again.

LINK

It was only temporarily off anyway... my point is about where we stand with everyone back... and maybe White out for the long haul.

Ah the concept of an NHL team as a business trying not to lose money... what a novel concept that we fans almost never consider.

We view White's and Lang's salaries as gone, when in fact I'm sure NJ disability Ins is not actually cutting the check. And I'd be surprised if there was insurance to cover most of it.

So it comes down to in many cases, win and lose money or lose and win money.

Edited by SueNJ97

here's a scary stupid thought... and not that I want it... but it makes sense cause the money is there... and he's not doing anything now.... and boy would I HATE this move.... but

Scott Niedermayer....

let the rumors and threads begin :P

here's a scary stupid thought... and not that I want it... but it makes sense cause the money is there... and he's not doing anything now.... and boy would I HATE this move.... but

Scott Niedermayer....

let the rumors and threads begin :P

from Matvichiks 1st waiver thread

So the devils are not going to use the extra cap space for anything and they are trying to watch how much money they dish out... yet they would rather pay matvichuk an extra 500k they don't need to, to save on the cap room that they aren't going to use anyway?

I'm confused.

This is a valid point but this would set up the following scenario....

Pay Matvichuk $1.3M to PLAY in Lowell, and help the team there, which he surely will... or Pay Matvichuk $650,000 for playing elsewhere.

If you pardon the pun, that's between a Rock and a Hard place.

The Devils are essentially paying him $650,000 to play in Lowell... that's how they see it since they will pay the 1st $650,000 no matter what.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NJD

With Malmivaara, Bergfors and Matvichuk in Lowell

and that doesn't include temporary cap space with White and Janssen on IR

If White ends up missing the year, it will be closer to $7M in cap space

What does Lou do with the space?

At it also makes me realize we are fielding (especially without Langs and White) a low cost team (almost $10M under Cap).

Man I can't believe the Devs can't fill up the new house. I am stuck in Az. for the next couple of years, but would be going if I lived there. I hear parking really bites, but real fans still show up. This makes me wonder if Lou isn't spending feds because attendance is not what they expected. :noclue:

This might be something for its own thread, but...

I was thinking about Vanderbeek this morning. Here's a Devils owner, but also a Devils fan. Here's someone who knows the biggest offensive "name" the team has ever had was ... let's see ... Gilmour? Mogilny? And here's someone who needs to get a new building filled, pronto.

Would it stun anyone to see the Devils make a trade for a superstar in the next year? I mean, a Top 10 scorer type with name value...

<JESTER>

That's really what it seems like we need. We've got no crowd-favorite consistent all-star. We need someone who'll get two goals in a game every three games. We haven't had one for a number of years...but even if it were the equivalent of 2003's Jeff Friesen...We do need someone.