Best Ice in the NHL

Have Another Donut

What happened to the "state of the art" ice we were promised? Players slipping, falling, pucks bouncing all over the place.

OK it's only been 5 games, but geez, it should be better than that. Maybe they should practice with a rubber ball before home games.

To be honest, although the building is lights out beautiful compared to the CAA, I was a little disappointed by a few things in the arena:

- As you said, ice looks pretty bad, although that could easily be just a matter of time until they figure it out.

- Upper level concourse is cramped and uncreative, unlike lower concourse which is open, beautiful, and looks out onto the city.

- The acoustics are not nearly as good as they were saying they would be. Maybe the fans aren't as loud, but the building doesn't sound much louder than CAA.

- The audio system is at times atrocious, although again this might just take some time to figure out.

To be honest, although the building is lights out beautiful compared to the CAA, I was a little disappointed by a few things in the arena:

- As you said, ice looks pretty bad, although that could easily be just a matter of time until they figure it out.

- Upper level concourse is cramped and uncreative, unlike lower concourse which is open, beautiful, and looks out onto the city.

- The acoustics are not nearly as good as they were saying they would be. Maybe the fans aren't as loud, but the building doesn't sound much louder than CAA.

- The audio system is at times atrocious, although again this might just take some time to figure out.

I might have it backwards but I think the extra bouncy pucks and players falling is indicative of the ice being too hard. I would think that ice is too hard is from the temp. being turned down too low and is easier to fix than a place where the ice is soft even when the temp. is as low as possible.

That's true for any arena/ stadium with multiple level concourses. Reason being is you have an inclined seating bowl and the exterior walls of the arena stand straight up. As such there is going to be less room as you get higher. I haven't been to the new place yet but I can't imagine it is as bas as CAA arena where you had the entire arena using 1 small concourse.

As for the sound on TV it sounds much louder than CAA.

I might have it backwards but I think the extra bouncy pucks and players falling is indicative of the ice being too hard. I would think that ice is too hard is from the temp. being turned down too low and is easier to fix than a place where the ice is soft even when the temp. is as low as possible.

The upstairs concourse is about the same size as the CAA concourse to me but of course services a lot less. Also, there are areas for the lines to stand so you're not trying to thread your way through lines of people.

I think the extra punk bounces and players falling around and losing their sticks can just be attributed to Oduya and Greene.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

Anywho, I had the opportunity my last game to sit in tier 2 - I thought the concourse was just fine and access to/from to be okay. And in theory, as mentioned before, it should be serving half the people in the arena, where as the CAA had a concourse that size servicing the entire arena.

At no point in time did I feel like Moo-ing while walking through there.

And opening night I thought it was too quiet, but the second game I went to everything sounded just fine. I think when you compare the pluses with the minuses, we come out on top here.

Travis has commented on the poor ice quality to several friends and family here. He also mentioned Marty is spending lots of time trying to learn the new "fast boards" and he can't believe how quick the puck comes back into play in some areas.

Edited by brodeurrocks