Is it time to call out Marty?

devilsrule33

Everyone is blaming the defense, but what is marty there for? to stop the puck when the defense doesn't and he hasnt been doing the best job. When your team is only going to score 1,2 goals, you need to make sure the other team isnt putting in more. im not saying get rid of Marty, but dont place the blame on everyone EXCEPT Marty. He's getting paid to be the last line of defense, just as Marty cant stop every puck, neither can the defense..where the medium

The D men have been caught out of position on many GA. Classic example:Brookbank in the last game, leaves his position to hit somebody-when there already was a Devil D there, shot comes- Dubinsky with an unchallenged rebound shot -bang it's in the net.-this has cost them a goal or more in almost every game, especially the loses. Marty's job is to stop the first shot

and hopefully any rebounds, but his D has to be in postion to help him. Yes, Marty could be a bit better, but his D have to stop running around-VV, Brookbank & Oduya - make too many bad decisions too often.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not blaming Marty.

I just wonder if I was him, playing behind th eguys he's played behind, winning all the cups and Vezinas....

How would I motivate myself behind this lackluster team.

I mean, he probably realizes that he has to play perfect or the game proabably goes the other way....unlike the larger margins of error he might have had in the past. Wouldn't you be stressed and possibly a little irritated?

That's what I see when the go close up on the mask....those eyes....something looks not quite right.

....but can we expect perfection...no, its not fair.

As much as we hate him King Henrik can be on fire because he can count on the rest of the team for help and breathing room (Drury, Jagr, even Avery in his own way).

Whose Marty counting on....other than maybe Jaime or Parise? :noclue:

I don't think calling him out does anything but make things worse. Right now there's problems with every facet of the team, yes, but fact of the matter is, when you cut right through to the heart of it, the Devils are not getting adequate goaltending from Marty. However, I do believe that if Marty is called out, that he will only get more frustrated. It will end with Marty approaching Lou and demanding Brent Sutter be fired. It'll be an "it's him or me" case because I think Marty is too proud to be called out by a first year coach.

The most interesting thing will be this. We've got back to backs tonight and tomorrow. If Marty has yet another mediocre game, all things aside, and loses, and IF Sutter goes with Weekes tomorrow who looks strong and wins again, things are going to be interesting. If nothing else, in the back of Sutter's mind, there will be a lot of extra thought process as to whom he starts in the next game and he may keep Marty on a tight leash in the future.

Just being honest, there are probably 5-7 goalies in the league that are going to play every game no matter how they do, and Marty is one of them. If this were one of those other 23 teams though, and his name was not Martin Brodeur, I do think Weekes is challenging for significant playing time, and not a start every 9 games or so. Weekes has pulled 5 out of a possible 6 points in his 3 starts and is really kind of becoming the best signing that Lou made this Summer.

Edited by HDuffNoLimit

why blame Marty? hes doing just fine! its the defense that are screwing, people like oduya, mottau, Rachunek ( sometimes)!

Lack of production: Elias, Gionta, zubrus!!!

Bad Penalty Killin: 29th in league

Bad Powerplay: 30th in league!!!

No Leadership, No effort!

for some reason, it sems that there is a brick wall in front of the devils opposing net! shutout five times aleady!!!!!

we need a new coach! new transactions

"The Church Of Manta" has a growing population.

:giggle: Thanks for the chuckle.

It's this damn 500 wins thing..it's like when A-Rod was trying to get into the 500 HR club..it takes a lot of time and it's a lot of pressure.

Except that Marty's played well in two of the three games. The pressure might have affected the team to an extent but we did lose to the Rangers and Isles before this streak too.

Wonder how much of this Marty can take it's realliy gotta be tough on him. Hope he doesnt eventually pull a Roy and say enough is enough and demand a trade. This team hasnt shown me any sign of hope and you can't expect them to when th defense is this bad. You need strong D on the points and without it the other teams aren't afraid to attack our guys. Then back in our zone its always a struggle to get the puck out. They said it best in the post game, devils played a good 7 minutes today and thats an absolute disgrace. I feel for Marty and its a shame he has to suffer through such a joke of an NHL squad. Lou should be ashamed of the team hes built just looking at the names on D makes me want to :puke:

Edited by njdevils783

I'm not blaming Marty.

I just wonder if I was him, playing behind th eguys he's played behind, winning all the cups and Vezinas....

How would I motivate myself behind this lackluster team.

I mean, he probably realizes that he has to play perfect or the game proabably goes the other way....unlike the larger margins of error he might have had in the past. Wouldn't you be stressed and possibly a little irritated?

If that's the case Marty should have a heart to heart with Chico. He knows all about going from a great team to one that was lucky to win 25 games.

everyone is to blame for the bad start, not just one person or thing. Its not like everyone is sucking, but that one player who is leading the league in X statistic. Everyone is to blame, and that includes Parise. You can be the hardest worker but still responsible for results. bottomline is no one escapes the blame game and that goes for marty as well as the current popular scapegoat.

If that's the case Marty should have a heart to heart with Chico. He knows all about going from a great team to one that was lucky to win 25 games.

There is a big difference between Marty and Chico. Marty is headed towards the wins record, the shut-outs record, etc.. things he may not get behind this defence and this offence.

By reading his quotes in the papers this morning he is *NOT* happy - not happy at all. He's absolutely fuming about the shutouts. Not about the losses - the shutouts. Which means he's pissed off with everyone else not performing in front of him.

And I can understand that frustration. He signed at below market value so that the team could go out and find good talent to put in front of him because getting those records and WINNING was more important to him than a few extra millions. Instead those few extra millions are either being wasted on non-performers or going to JVB pocket. If I were Brodeur, I'd have already demanded a trade.

I think part of Marty's problem is that he doesn't trust the "D". He's over thinking out there, trying to do too much to compensate.

Exactly....It is so obvious that he is thinking way too much this year because he doesn't trust one defensemen on this team. Who would??

It's a tough question......NOT! The players in front of Brode take for granted that he's there and will always give them the chance to win,so dare i say it,but they don't seem to try as hard or be as focused as much knowing he's back there again this season!

Maybe Weekes should play a couple of games in a row! To me the Dev's look much better when he's in net because they don't really know what to expect so they're more focused, just look at how they played in his 3 games!

:gd:

Maybe Weekes should play a couple of games in a row! To me the Dev's look much better when he's in net because they don't really know what to expect so they're more focused, just look at how they played in his 3 games!

That's a good point. The Devils seem to play better defense when the backup starts. It has been with case with Clemmenson, Schwab, Beezer...

And I can understand that frustration. He signed at below market value so that the team could go out and find good talent to put in front of him because getting those records and WINNING was more important to him than a few extra millions. Instead those few extra millions are either being wasted on non-performers or going to JVB pocket. If I were Brodeur, I'd have already demanded a trade.

It's November 17th. Roy demanded his trade on a December 4th. As far as I remember, there were not too many people laughing in Montreal.

Which begs a series of questions: When's the next blowout coming and against whom? How many goals will Sutter leave Marty in for before yanking him (or Marty deciding he's had enough and yanking himself)? In a stunning twist of... well, maybe not irony, but at least a case of the circle coming full, will Lou trade Marty to the Habs for Carey Price?