Langenbrunner

GULITTI blog

If Devils coach Brent Sutter is going to name a captain this season, Jamie Langenbrunner is looking more and more like the favorite. Sutter had high praise again for Langenbrunner after tonight's 3-0 win in Atlanta. (...)
Edited by moustic
I hope so too. I hope Langs basically has the same effect on the team as Elias did when he came back from Hep

We all saw what happened the last time we gave the C to someone who sparked a hot streak. That may not be the best way to measure a captain.

Not a knock on Langs. I think he'd be a fine captain. Just questioning whether or not we should be so quick to give it to him after five games.

In my mind, I think the best captain would be the most consistent guy on the team, which Pandolfo would get my vote. But Langs being a captain doesn't bother me either because anyone on this team knows Marty is the de facto captain.

No to pando...

Not to say we're gonna get another stevens, but I dont want guy whose only going to be doing it for a year or two. Pando's been around forever, and I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank (offensive production this year aside). Look at how quickly brylins play dropped off.

Jamie would be fine with me. Ideally I'd like a younger guy like a Zajac or a Parise to step up, but I don't think either of those two have earned it yet.

Oh dear. Someone born two years after me is "soon to be washed up". :(

Defensive forwards are better able to stand the test of time. Offensive abilities tend to dry up in the mid-thirties, which is why Bobby Carpenter learned to play defence at the age of 35. Guy Carbonneau retired at the age of 40. I think Jay has a LONG career ahead of him.

I'm not saying Jay would make a good captain. I'm saying "Jay is only going to be in the NHL for 2 more years" is malarky. Whatever malarky is, man.

Oh dear. Someone born two years after me is "soon to be washed up". :(

Defensive forwards are better able to stand the test of time. Offensive abilities tend to dry up in the mid-thirties, which is why Bobby Carpenter learned to play defence at the age of 35. Guy Carbonneau retired at the age of 40. I think Jay has a LONG career ahead of him.

I'm not saying Jay would make a good captain. I'm saying "Jay is only going to be in the NHL for 2 more years" is malarky. Whatever malarky is, man.

I don't think Jay has more than 4 years left. I recognize that players like Carbonneau, Andreychuk, Carpenter, etc. held on for a long time, but like great pitchers who fall back to become merely good in their 40s, even a slight skill drop by Pandolfo and he is no longer capable of playing good defensive hockey - his offensive burst this season aside, he doesn't have those kind of skills to fall back on at all.

I'd wager different. But who wants to make a 4 year bet?

I would - except for the fact that Lou has a touch of sentimentality. As long as Pandolfo wants to keep playing, my guess is that Lou will retain him.

Brylin's play has declined almost frighteningly - he is a year away from not being in the lineup every night.

Langs would be a good choice.. but I would like a life-time Devil like White.. although Langenbrunner probably has had his best years of his career in NJ (had his best overall season last year and has won a Cup with the Devs in '03).. nothing big in Dallas besides winning 1 cup

I hope so too. I hope Langs basically has the same effect on the team as Elias did when he came back from Hep

And look what happened to Elias when he was given the 'C'.

Hopefully, for the sake of the team, Langenbrunner will be able to handle it with a bit more ease should he be named so.

No to pando...

Not to say we're gonna get another stevens, but I dont want guy whose only going to be doing it for a year or two. Pando's been around forever, and I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank (offensive production this year aside). Look at how quickly brylins play dropped off.

Jamie would be fine with me. Ideally I'd like a younger guy like a Zajac or a Parise to step up, but I don't think either of those two have earned it yet.

:: Brylin's point production has actually risen starting in 2005-2006. I think he had a bit of a hiccup adapting to the 'new' style of play (NHL's, not Sutter's) but this year he seems like he's in better shape and is starting to feel a lot more comfortable.

:: As far as Zajac and Parise are concerned, it's not really a matter of them 'earning' it -- hell, they've both saved this teams ass almost as a second job in the short time they've been with us. It's more a matter of them maturing and gaining experience in the hottest of pressure cookers in the NHL -- going deep into the playoffs.

I would have no problem with Pandolfo being named Captain, but I would prefer Langs. Jamie just has that intensity to him that I think the entire team feeds off and needs to be successful.

:: Brylin's point production has actually risen starting in 2005-2006. I think he had a bit of a hiccup adapting to the 'new' style of play (NHL's, not Sutter's) but this year he seems like he's in better shape and is starting to feel a lot more comfortable.

More like his point production crept up (37 and 40 compared to 33 in the season before the lockout) and has crashed with a bang this season (4 points in 23 games). If anything I remember Brylin got off to a hot start the first month or so after the lockout ended.

I would - except for the fact that Lou has a touch of sentimentality. As long as Pandolfo wants to keep playing, my guess is that Lou will retain him.

Brylin's play has declined almost frighteningly - he is a year away from not being in the lineup every night.

I dont think Brylin will be back next year, unless hes willing to play for minimum. I agree, his play has declined precipitously.

With Pandolfo, I think he will be at par for at least the next two or three season. Beyond that, he may become nothing more than a 4th line player.

Not to resurect this thread, but I highly disagree with giving player captiancys based on 4 game scoring streaks. A captain shouldn't be your best player...they should be someone who can lead. Until someone comes out of the woodwork and truly steps into a leadership role, I say roll the A's.

Also, Marty, in my mind, is not the "defacto" captain. In my mind goaltenders can't be the heart of the team because they already are the backbone. Being a goalie on a hockey team is like being in drumline in a marching band (a reference only fellow band geeks will get). The drumline is part of the band but are at the same time completely seperate. Same with goalies, IMO. The NHL doesn't let goalies be captains for a reason.

I dont think Brylin will be back next year, unless hes willing to play for minimum. I agree, his play has declined precipitously.

I disagree. I hope that Brylin pleasantly surprises you in the second half. In the last four games, I saw him hit the post twice... The goals will come.

Plus having Brylin on the team is an intangible in itself, just one of two remaining players from the '95 Cup squad. I am sure a lot of younger Devil players look up to him.

WOOWOO

Id be all for that :)

Langs rocks. Give that man a C!!

Yes yes, I would love to see Langs get the 'C' and I think it would be a good move for the Devils. He's one of those rare players that can play any style of game that is required to help the team win and he leads by example.

I don't know how vocal he is in the locker room (which is a must for a captain) but he is a leader and the Devils have no obvious candidates (I think Parise is too young but could be groomed for a consonant on his left breast in a few years) so why not?

And look what happened to Elias when he was given the 'C'.

Hopefully, for the sake of the team, Langenbrunner will be able to handle it with a bit more ease should he be named so.

I think he's been through enough in his career and studied under enough great captains to be able to handle the requirements of the position. Besides, the man always plays hard and that is the biggest key.