NHL approves new schedule format

insanity_gallops

This is the compromise I've been hoping for...6 division games apiece is fine. 10 games total against the West is too few (while the 30 most wanted would have been extreme over kill), 18 is fine.

I wonder how they'll do the three wild-card games, maybe on a rotating basis so each team's guaranteed a home-and-home with the West within five years.

I think this is appropriate, to be honest. We still get plenty of rivalry inter-division games (24) and the team gets to see every team at least once. I thought it was awful that you could see a team in the post-season you hadn't seen for a year and a half.

And don't bring attendance in to this - it sucks as it is without playing west coast teams! :lol:

But just cause I like pain, I'll mention this one thing: when you see all them empty seats in the lower tier, look up and smile at the packed fans in tiers two and three. :D

less rivalry games = more meaningful = better attendance and quality of game since they will mean more!!

Hell the Rangers and Islanders have PLAYED FOUR TIMES ALREADY... too much!!

less rivalry games = more meaningful = better attendance and quality of game since they will mean more!!

Hell the Rangers and Islanders have PLAYED FOUR TIMES ALREADY... too much!!

Well i also think they need to space the divisional games out a little more. Seeing the Islanders twice in six days is a bit much especially since they beat us both times.

The NHLPA must be unhappy with this. More travel for the players and a likely decrease in league ticket revenue. A double whammy.

Scalpers have to be happy though - now Crosby and Ovechkin come to town more often. They're the ones who see the profits, not the teams, who often do well at the gate regardless.

I've already made my feelings on this topic known - I like the rivalry games and I don't like games against the West.

I think we should play 8 vs. the division teams, and 2 against the other 25.

Regardless of whether it's the Devils or LA, you get the big draws of Toronto and Detroit, but you gotta take Atlanta and Florida once home and away.

Waaay too much travel, and the schedule is enormously unbalanced.

I just don't understand who wants more games with the West other than people who live there - the games come on at 10:30 so if you have to get up early for work you see the first period, and the games just aren't very good.

Were Crosby and Ovechkin divided between the conferences I don't think we'd see this.

Were Crosby and Ovechkin divided between the conferences I don't think we'd see this.

the NHL should have rigged the Crosby Draft better :P

I can't see 2 vs Conference Foes

remember you chase teams in the conference as much as divsion for the playoff spots and seedings

I wonder how they'll do the three wild-card games, maybe on a rotating basis so each team's guaranteed a home-and-home with the West within five years.

I don't think fairness should enter into it. Hockey fans want to see Detroit vs. Toronto/Rangers. The Blue Jackets deserve an extra game against the Penguins every year. Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton's three wild cards every year should be the Habs, Leafs and Senators.

As for the Devils? Our three wild cards should be the bottom three teams in the West. Every year. :koolaid:

<JESTER>