'A' takes Martin by surprise

SC Devs Fan

'A' takes Martin by surprise

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?....xml&coll=1

Martin and John Madden will each wear an "A" throughout the rest of December as coach Brent Sutter plans to rotate his two alternates monthly. Langenbrunner will remain captain.

"I was a little surprised. With the guys we have in this room, I wasn't expecting it," Martin said. "The coach said the 'A's' will be on rotation."

Asked how he compliments Madden, Martin said: "I'm the good cop."

Sutter explained his thoughts on a rotation.

"Why not give them all an opportunity to be an alternate captain," he said. "Do it on a rotating basis. Jamie is our captain. All these other guys deserve to wear an 'A,' Patty Elias included."

What does everybody think about this? Shouldn't these actually mean a little more than, "Hey Patty, it's Tuesday. Time for you to wear the A." "Gio, you'll get it next Wednesday when we're on the road."

What does everybody think about this? Shouldn't these actually mean a little more than, "Hey Patty, it's Tuesday. Time for you to wear the A." "Gio, you'll get it next Wednesday when we're on the road."

I think it's dumb. Everyone is going to say "it's ok because everyone knows the real captain is...broduer...elias..langs...etc" but I think it cheapens the value as a whole. "Oh its my turn to wear the 'A' yaaay!". but as long as we are winning I don't really care who has the letter sewn on their jersey as long as the players come to play every night.

I couldn't agree more. I don't see guys like Brookbank and Oduya deserving the "A". I can understand rotating it between Madden, Pando, Elias, Gionta, White, etc... but no way should some of the other guys have the "A". Wearing the "A" is a privilege and an honor not a right.

Besides, if they let everyone wear the "A" then every fan is going to want to get an "A" stitched on to their jersey.... then again, maybe that's the point. $$$$

Im not a huge fan of it rotating.

But thi is probably just another attempt to find out who really deserves the A and who is more suited to the position.

There is still transition going on with the team.

Hopefully this is being done to avoid another Elias and the C situation, except this time with the A's.

I couldn't agree more. I don't see guys like Brookbank and Oduya deserving the "A". I can understand rotating it between Madden, Pando, Elias, Gionta, White, etc... but no way should some of the other guys have the "A". Wearing the "A" is a privilege and an honor not a right.

Besides, if they let everyone wear the "A" then every fan is going to want to get an "A" stitched on to their jersey.... then again, maybe that's the point. $$$$

I've been following hockey for a long, long time, but I've never seen a group of fans as obsessed with this C and A business as you guys are. :uni:

And I seriously doubt that Oduya or Brookbank will get a sniff at the A this season.

Edited by WHL Rules

Sutters got his own way of doing things, I didn't like it a first but I guess he knows what he's doin. And I don't know the locker room situation, I think some players are honored to wear a letter and some could care less, so give it to the guy's who feel good about wearing it...if they deserve it. I was surprised when Sutter gave Zubrus the "A" right away this season, but what the heck. I think veteran Devils should wear letters and or players that are performing up to par. White, Madden, Elias, Pando, Zach, Gio, Brylin...and others as the year goes by.

Talk about over-reacting. The team is going to rotate the A's on a monthly basis and people want to act like the team is changing them daily and giving the A to Brookbank. :wacko:

Nobody's talking about trading Elias, benching Marty or firing Sutter anymore. We need something to overreact about. ;)

I've been following hockey for a long, long time, but I've never seen a group of fans as obsessed with this C and A business as you guys are. :uni:

And I seriously doubt that Oduya or Brookbank will get a sniff at the A this season.

But then again, we are fans of a team that only recently lost one of the greatest Captains the game has ever seen.

I actually like the idea of rotating A's. He won't give an A to guys like Brookbank and Oduya, unless they really step up and show they deserve it. However, this is more to show that guys like Elias, Gionta, Brylin, Madden, White and Martin need to step up their game and prove that they are leaders. This way, when these guys are stepping up, they can be rewarded by wearing the A for a month. It could also be looked at as saying we have an abundance of capable assistant captains and Sutter wants to share the wealth as his players prove their worth.

Talk about over-reacting. The team is going to rotate the A's on a monthly basis and people want to act like the team is changing them daily and giving the A to Brookbank. :wacko:

You may not like the fact that the A's are being rotated every month because it doesn't look good in NHL 2k7 but it's actually a very smart move. Think about it, Martin is going to have to show leadership skills now that he is an alternate captain, what about next month when someone else has the A? Do you think Martin won't act as a leader anymore? I like the way Sutter thinks.

Edit: When playoffs come around though I think we should have permanent alternate captains.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

That's not what is going on. Obviously the players will still have to earn it. They will be rotating the A's but they aren't just giving it to players when they don't show that they deserve it. It's also good because it shows that the players wearing it will have to earn the right to continue wearing it.