Trade for veteran at deadline

The 29th Pick

Hey guys, I'm new here so don't kill me if this isn't a worthy topic, but being that the Devils have some cap room, and really have a lot of young players, it's real possible Lou will get that veteran player (forward/D-man) at the trade deadline, I know its a long way off, but seeing a guy like Recchi get put on waivers then picked up by the Thrashers......who do you think Lou might go after ????????????

Hey guys, I'm new here so don't kill me if this isn't a worthy topic, but being that the Devils have some cap room, and really have a lot of young players, it's real possible Lou will get that veteran player (forward/D-man) at the trade deadline, I know its a long way off, but seeing a guy like Recchi get put on waivers then picked up by the Thrashers......who do you think Lou might go after ????????????

Maybe the Devils can get lucky and a Mats Sundin can become available it sounds like the Leafs way start tearing it up to start over.

Personally, I would love to see a point producing defenseman such as Brad Stuart or Preissing of LA, which I believe they'll be sellers during the deadline

Yeah, it's so hard right now to know who's gonna be in or out of the playoff picture, even in February many teams will hesitate to trade anyone cause the divisions are all pretty even.

Maybe the Devils can get lucky and Mats Sundin can become available, sounds like the Leafs may start tearing it up to start over.

Been a fan of Mats since he was with the Nordiques. I would love to see Sundin don the red & black. I doubt it'll happen, (because as a Devils fan you're conditioned) but still, it'd be great to see him come to New Jersey. At 36 years old, he may have a couple more seasons in the tank.

Yeah, what Jason said. I don't think this year's team is really going anywhere. Plus with the Rangers and Senators as strong as they are, this isn't the year to go for it all.

That year is 08-09.

It's the Devils way to be Stanley Cup Champs every year though, and ya gotta try to get as many as we can while Marty is .... Marty.

It's the Devils way to be Stanley Cup Champs every year though, and ya gotta try to get as many as we can while Marty is .... Marty.

No, the team has limited assets and can't afford to go for the Stanley Cup every year. Once the pipeline stops cranking out a Colin White or Patrik Elias every 2 years, it's very difficult to sell off pieces for major additions and still have enough to fill your roster the next September. The Devils don't have the Sheldon Sourays and Brendan Morrisons anymore. They can't afford to give up a Brian Rolston for a one-year rental and a pick in the draft.

If you trade away a prospect for a rental, you're missing BOTH by next September. That means you need a third guy to fill his spot. The Devils don't have that. They won't for a few years. And it'll probably never be like it was from between 1995 to 2000.

No, the team has limited assets and can't afford to go for the Stanley Cup every year. Once the pipeline stops cranking out a Colin White or Patrik Elias every 2 years, it's very difficult to sell off pieces for major additions and still have enough to fill your roster the next September. The Devils don't have the Sheldon Sourays and Brendan Morrisons anymore. They can't afford to give up a Brian Rolston for a one-year rental and a pick in the draft.

If you trade away a prospect for a rental, you're missing BOTH by next September. That means you need a third guy to fill his spot. The Devils don't have that. They won't for a few years. And it'll probably never be like it was from between 1995 to 2000.

I understand and agree with giving up players like Rolston for a short time rental, but some trades pan out for years in our favor....ie Langenbrunner, it's just the Marty factor....how many years will he be able to carry us like he has ??????????? You know we'll NEVER have anything that good again.

I understand and agree with giving up players like Rolston for a short time rental, but some trades pan out for years in our favor....ie Langenbrunner, it's just the Marty factor....how many years will he be able to carry us like he has ??????????? You know we'll NEVER have anything that good again.

Well, I think we found someone who will be jumping off the bandwagon in a couple years...

since everyone's looking for puck moving dmen, I'd guess the impact vet I'd like to get is a solid vet goal scorer, like J.P. Dumont or someone of that ilk.

I don't see where a JP Dumont fits on this team, unless someone gets injured. I really can't see the top 2 lines being anything but some combo of Elias, Parise, Gionta, Zubrus, Zajac, and Langenbrunner.

I know everyone hates NJ's forwards but this team is pretty much set at forward, for better or worse.

I really cant see us bieng involved in many trades.

We dont have a lot to offer that we can afford to lose ourselvs, as well as that we dont really need to get anyone in for this year. It seems like we are going to go with what we have and if that works then great, if not then we will adress it in the offseason.

If anything i hope we can steal some draft picks off people again.

Tri I don't see how you can classify the Devils as non-cup contenders. No other team in the East is really that good, at least imo, so it's surely possible. I bet you were saying the same thing about the 2003 Devils team? The playoffs are a crapshoot and the Devils have a team that is built to win come May (great goalie, big D, four strong lines, veteran leadership).

And we don't really need to "go for it all". The big additions in '03 were who? Smelik and Marshall?

I think Sutter's goal is to get past the whole "top two lines score goals, third line shuts down opposing top line, fourth line hits people" mentality and have everyone try to score goals and create offense. Someone like Dumont could move Zubrus or Langenbrunner down to the Madden line (which has shown offensive ability) and make the team really dangerous.

Tri I don't see how you can classify the Devils as non-cup contenders. No other team in the East is really that good, at least imo, so it's surely possible. I bet you were saying the same thing about the 2003 Devils team? The playoffs are a crapshoot and the Devils have a team that is built to win come May (great goalie, big D, four strong lines, veteran leadership).

And we don't really need to "go for it all". The big additions in '03 were who? Smelik and Marshall?

The 2003 Devils team, I was happy if they could win a round. However, I didn't think that team needed a huge addition, and they lucked out by not playing any team with dominant centers beyond Joe Thornton, who didn't show up during those playoffs.

The Devils are playing well over their Pythagorean win percentage (GF vs GA to measure wins), and beyond that they've gotten contributions well beyond expectation from Pandolfo and Madden. That won't last.