How can anyone say Luongo is as good as Brodeur?

Living in Canada I hear this all the time "Luongo is better than Brodeur" How can anyone say that?

He hasn't even been past the 2nd round of the playoffs. He never made the playoffs while in Florida.

Then the argument is he never had a team in Florida. Hasek never had a team in Buffalo. And he led them

deep in the playoffs.

And in all reality the Devils don't have a steller Defence. Paul Martin is very good but he would be # 3 in alot

of places.

Yet Marty always has the Devils atop the Pacific Division. Am I missing something here or is Luongo overated?

I just think utill he leads a team somewhere its not right to compare him to Brodeur.

exactly, i hate when people say that..tards..and i'm a canucks fan.........

Luongo has never had a team close to what Brodeur's had. In fact, it's not crazy to say that Brodeur's worst team is better than Luongo's best team so far.

It is premature to say he's definitely better but I think when both their careers are over, Luongo will be regarded as the superior goaltender, although he will almost certainly not win 3 Stanley Cup championships.

Edited by Triumph
Luongo has never had a team close to what Brodeur's had. In fact, it's not crazy to say that Brodeur's worst team is better than Luongo's best team so far.

It is premature to say he's definitely better but I think when both their careers are over, Luongo will be regarded as the superior goaltender, although he will almost certainly not win 3 Stanley Cup championships.

How can he be superior and not win 3 cups? That makes no sence. If he is regarded as Superior it would only be because he played on a Canadian based team. I would say Vancouver has a better defence then the Devils do right now. I also think Brodeur will win his 4th cup before Luongo wins his first.

You wonder how many championships we would have if Luongo had been in nets instead of Marty with our teams. Probably not three, but probably not zero.

Trying to compare guys like this is impossible. You could argue Ernie Banks wasn't as good a shortstop as Rizzuto because Banks never won anything and Rizzuto won (insert large number) but that won't hold water.

Part of Marty's problem in comparison to a lot of goalies is that the whole goalie package is rarely looked at. Marty's best assets are his ability to clear the zone himself, intelligence, his skating ability, and consistency. Most goalie arguments are made about who, when playing their best, stops the puck the best, which really isn't Marty. Marty brings arguably the best total package ever for a goalie but he is not the best puck stopper ever.

I'm not sure if Marty is technically better than Luongo, but he is definately one of the most unique goaltenders in terms of his playing style. One of my biggest complaints with modern goaltenders is that they all play the same butterfly style. Marty stands out with his hybrid style of standup and butterfly, which sometimes leaves him vunerable to shots that traditional buttefly goalies would swallow up.

At any rate, his list of accomplishments alone seperate him from the Luongos of the world. Luongo is an excellent goalie, but he has a long way to go before he catches up to Marty.

Edited by Bulletproof
Part of Marty's problem in comparison to a lot of goalies is that the whole goalie package is rarely looked at. Marty's best assets are his ability to clear the zone himself, intelligence, his skating ability, and consistency. Most goalie arguments are made about who, when playing their best, stops the puck the best, which really isn't Marty. Marty brings arguably the best total package ever for a goalie but he is not the best puck stopper ever.
VERY VERY good points. I also agrue that maybe Marty is taken for granted because he has never really dipped off at all.

One quetion for you can you name me one European goalie (besides Hasek) who has put together 3 allstar seasons? Just food for thought.

Cheers

Edited by Swede

I bet if Rick dipietro went to another team and had a great season they would be going nuts over him.. but is he good? not really.. It seems like alot of hockey analysists say the same thing for goalies and how good of a team their on.. Luongo though is quite good (and slightly had a case with being on a bad Florida team), but if alot of people claim him to be better than Brodeur - than well, they are wrong; hes not that good, or at least at this point.. i think he mostly needs to prove he can be a winner. Look at Marty, he did it in his rookie season with leading NJ to the EC finals.. next year he won the Cup.. sure his D was good in front of him but Niedermyer wasn't ALL THAT back then.

Edited by nmigliore

Luongo is a good goalie, i just hate him cuz i do...but he could be "as good" as Marty in time..but that would be "in time"..It's the same thing as trying to ask the uestion, "who is better Marty or Roy?" There is just no way to tell who is better until they are both done.

Yes Calgary is NW, same as Vancity

see i dont like this.

it all comes down to how many europeans have captained a stanley cup team, how many europeans have had 3 (why did you pick that number?) all star seasons (tretiak btw, maybe not in nhl, but anyway, and im putting money on that guy on the rangers:) )

yeah yeah, europeans suck... but how has that anything to do with this argument?

The guy with the Rangers has not had 3 all star sesons in a row. He still hasn't been past the 2nd round yet either. Im just saying Besides Hasek European Goalies have not proved to be Durable.

Don't you get all of the Sportsnets? I get east, west, pacific...

The guy with the Rangers has not had 3 all star sesons in a row. He still hasn't been past the 2nd round yet either. Im just saying Besides Hasek European Goalies have not proved to be Durable.

was to say that he will have, forgot to end the sentence. sorry

it takes time to learn the game over here for the european gts, they usually become starters later (im guessing)... dont think that its a durability issue...

kolzig and kipper has proven to be somewhat durable too btw.

and again what has this to do with your subject about luongo or brodeur (or whoever it was that dominated the pacific)

was to say that he will have, forgot to end the sentence. sorry

it takes time to learn the game over here for the european gts, they usually become starters later (im guessing)... dont think that its a durability issue...

kolzig and kipper has proven to be somewhat durable too btw.

and again what has this to do with your subject about luongo or brodeur (or whoever it was that dominated the pacific)

Kolzig grew up in North America. Born overseas put played all his minor hockey here in North America.

Kippersoffs numbers have dwindled every season. He still has played very well.

But look at the flames (been past the 1st round of the playoffs once since 1990)

Still not 3 all star seasons