Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Not surprising. It's a killer time to be in that industry and they aren't on Edison so they loose out on arena business with places opening up right next to the arena.

For certain. Higher beer quality alone is not going to get it done for that place. They need a better menu (as DM84 said) and a price for drinks that, combined with quality, makes people say that the extra 8 minutes of walking is worth it (those that know it exists that is).

Too bad, I enjoyed grabbing a beer at Port 44 at times. It was on the opposite side of the arena for me though, so we didn't often budget or have the extra time to walk over there. Hopefully someone will like the concept and just tweak what's already going on there.

Hopefully Sheehan stays on board with whoever buys. The menu may have been lacking, but I definitely enjoyed the brews.

The brews were def good there the couple of times I went. I liked their idea of joining their club where they give you a glass that is a little larger than a pint and when you bring it they charge you the pint price even though you are getting more. Problem is, I do not want to drag a glass from home to go to Port 44 and have it with me during the game.

The brews were def good there the couple of times I went. I liked their idea of joining their club where they give you a glass that is a little larger than a pint and when you bring it they charge you the pint price even though you are getting more. Problem is, I do not want to drag a glass from home to go to Port 44 and have it with me during the game.

What? They held the mugs for you.

They did? Then I am mistaken but they never indicated that from the postings on facebook and the promos I have seen.

Yeah they held it for you.. Well the owner never wanted to bring in a chef who knew what he was doing, so word spread quickly that the food was not good..

Look at Triumph in Princeton.. Great beer and great food.. Port 44 was missing one, and it just wasn't worth it to only go there for beer.. I don't have time pre-game (or during lunch) to grab a beer in one spot and food in another.. Hence why I went to Hell's Kitchen, McGovern's, Uber Burger, and Arena Lounge instead.. Hopefully the next owner gets it

Yeah they held it for you.. Well the owner never wanted to bring in a chef who knew what he was doing, so word spread quickly that the food was not good..

Look at Triumph in Princeton.. Great beer and great food.. Port 44 was missing one, and it just wasn't worth it to only go there for beer.. I don't have time pre-game (or during lunch) to grab a beer in one spot and food in another.. Hence why I went to Hell's Kitchen, McGovern's, Uber Burger, and Arena Lounge instead.. Hopefully the next owner gets it

Exactly and this is a common theme amongst brewpubs at least in NJ. If they have great beer, the food tends to be weak and vice versa. The only one that consistently have great beer and great food every time I visit has been Long Valley Brew Pub, but that is way out of the way for me. I love Triumph and that will always be my favorite but the food is uneven at times. I can go there one time and the food is great and sometimes I go there and it is average. I never had a bad meal there until a couple months ago where I had the food taken back as it was awful and thank god it is now off the menu (in case you are curious it was the Udon Noodle Bowl).

These brewpubs years ago used to be able to get away with bad food because the novelty of house-brewed beer overshadowed the shortcomings of the kitchen. Now that there are a good dozen brewpubs in NJ and a new one seems to open every couple of years, they now have to make you want to come back and to attract others than the hardcore beer lovers.

I just got back from a great brew pub in Lancaster (Iron Hill Brewery) and I was happy that the menu was strong (corporate style) and that needs to be the minimum for a place that is going to be charging the same as a Fridays or Houlihans. Port 44 is at this point half done. the interior was bleak and they just never had the food. I haven't eaten at loft on Edison yet but I know that when we go BCBG the food is dependable and that is important.

I just got back from a great brew pub in Lancaster (Iron Hill Brewery) and I was happy that the menu was strong (corporate style) and that needs to be the minimum for a place that is going to be charging the same as a Fridays or Houlihans. Port 44 is at this point half done. the interior was bleak and they just never had the food. I haven't eaten at loft on Edison yet but I know that when we go BCBG the food is dependable and that is important.

You are right about the interior at Port 44. It does look bleak and half-done. I hope whoever buys the one share does something about that and the food.

Also when is Edison Ale House opening? Their FB page kept saying end of July and haven't really heard anything since.

Edited by DevsMan84

In regards to Port 44, I enjoyed the place during the early part of the season... even though the games stunk, but that is another story. The bartenders were cool, the beer was good, and food was average. Then I remember the second month of the season they had a new chef who was making some great food, but he only lasted a week. The slowly but surely the rest if the great staff started leaving. Seemed like there were some management problems there. I continued to stop in once every few games since I enjoy a good beer, and the staff just went totally down hill. The new bar manager looked and acted like a total coke head, and the bartenders seemed to change on a weekly basis. I stopped going after one trip in Feb when the patrons turned from Devils fans and professionals to ghetto thugs. Its a shame too because i always parked right across the street from Port 44.

I think to make that place successful they obviously need some better bar food, but also need to serve some "regular" beer as well... I know a few of my buddies only like "regular" beers, so Port 44 was out of the running on days they came to games with me. They also need to be able to retain good staff. As I mentioned, they had some awesome bartenders when I first started going. Friendly, attentive, and it didn't hurt that a few of the females were pretty hot...lol... Oh and lastly they needed to fix the bathroom situation. In the main bar area they just had one unisex bathroom.

If only I had a few bucks, I think I could run an awesome bar near that arena... but to see that they are selling that business for 2.1 million shows me I will never be afforded the chance to give it a go and try to run a bar.

In regards to Port 44, I enjoyed the place during the early part of the season... even though the games stunk, but that is another story. The bartenders were cool, the beer was good, and food was average. Then I remember the second month of the season they had a new chef who was making some great food, but he only lasted a week. The slowly but surely the rest if the great staff started leaving. Seemed like there were some management problems there. I continued to stop in once every few games since I enjoy a good beer, and the staff just went totally down hill. The new bar manager looked and acted like a total coke head, and the bartenders seemed to change on a weekly basis. I stopped going after one trip in Feb when the patrons turned from Devils fans and professionals to ghetto thugs. Its a shame too because i always parked right across the street from Port 44.

I think to make that place successful they obviously need some better bar food, but also need to serve some "regular" beer as well... I know a few of my buddies only like "regular" beers, so Port 44 was out of the running on days they came to games with me. They also need to be able to retain good staff. As I mentioned, they had some awesome bartenders when I first started going. Friendly, attentive, and it didn't hurt that a few of the females were pretty hot...lol... Oh and lastly they needed to fix the bathroom situation. In the main bar area they just had one unisex bathroom.

If only I had a few bucks, I think I could run an awesome bar near that arena... but to see that they are selling that business for 2.1 million shows me I will never be afforded the chance to give it a go and try to run a bar.

What are the "regular" beers that you speak of? If you say something like Bud or Miller Lite or any of the national brands, then you completely lost me. It is a brew pub and they make their own beer. These places are great when you want to expand and try different styles and different variants and it is like getting a small work of art from the brewmaster. I do not know of any brewpub that I have been to (I have been most in NJ alone) that have beers other than their own. They usually have a lighter beer that satisfies those who are less adventurous and prefer the national brands style, but if you want "regular" beer this coming season you will have more options for that as the new places will be open by then.

When I went there for the first time (I am thinking it was in December) the beer was very good but the food was terrible. The service was average at best but I found it odd how the lower bar level (which is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures on the website) was packed and when we asked if the upper level which had more seating was open, no one really knew. They said we could go up there and sit but it was dark and looked close and the staff just shrugged or just said they didn't know about the upstairs part.

That place needs a lot of work and it looks like the opening was rushed. I had a weird feeling too when I read that the place was opened by two guys who have never ran a restaurant before and in this economy where restaurants (already a risky venture) are failing left and right, it was a bad sign and possibly an omen.

Shame as I think that place has a ton of potential if it is run by someone who knows what they are doing.

What are the "regular" beers that you speak of? If you say something like Bud or Miller Lite or any of the national brands, then you completely lost me. It is a brew pub and they make their own beer. These places are great when you want to expand and try different styles and different variants and it is like getting a small work of art from the brewmaster. I do not know of any brewpub that I have been to (I have been most in NJ alone) that have beers other than their own. They usually have a lighter beer that satisfies those who are less adventurous and prefer the national brands style, but if you want "regular" beer this coming season you will have more options for that as the new places will be open by then.

When I went there for the first time (I am thinking it was in December) the beer was very good but the food was terrible. The service was average at best but I found it odd how the lower bar level (which is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures on the website) was packed and when we asked if the upper level which had more seating was open, no one really knew. They said we could go up there and sit but it was dark and looked close and the staff just shrugged or just said they didn't know about the upstairs part.

That place needs a lot of work and it looks like the opening was rushed. I had a weird feeling too when I read that the place was opened by two guys who have never ran a restaurant before and in this economy where restaurants (already a risky venture) are failing left and right, it was a bad sign and possibly an omen.

Shame as I think that place has a ton of potential if it is run by someone who knows what they are doing.

I did mean beers like Bud/Miller/Coors/Corona... And as I mentioned in my post, i prefer the beers that they made over these brands, but since their main business is going to be fans going to sporting events/concerts, they also need to cater to the masses. You could lose out on a group of 4 people coming into your place because one of those four in not into "specialty" beers. So if you have the national brands on hand, those other 3 may try and enjoy your beer and be repeat customers. To operate in that area of Newark, you need to think differently then an actual brewpub in other areas in the state. For those brewpubs you specifically went to that place for the beer, but for Port 44 people where coming in for the events.

I did mean beers like Bud/Miller/Coors/Corona... And as I mentioned in my post, i prefer the beers that they made over these brands, but since their main business is going to be fans going to sporting events/concerts, they also need to cater to the masses. You could lose out on a group of 4 people coming into your place because one of those four in not into "specialty" beers. So if you have the national brands on hand, those other 3 may try and enjoy your beer and be repeat customers. To operate in that area of Newark, you need to think differently then an actual brewpub in other areas in the state. For those brewpubs you specifically went to that place for the beer, but for Port 44 people where coming in for the events.

There are already a good bunch of bars in the area that server regular beer and more that just opened up or about to open up. What is the point then of going to a bar a good two blocks away or so when there is the same beer at 2 bars just within stone's throw of the box office?

Triumph does pretty well in Princeton and especially in New Hope where there is plenty of competition. Harvest Moon also does well in NB and while they also serve regular beer, every time I have been there I cannot see a single person with a bud or miller in front of them at the bar or on the surrounding tables. Also the same can be said for JJ Bittings and that bar is usually packed when I am there and there are plenty of taverns and bars nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much, but at least has an opening for Edison Ale House.

Edison Ale House

I have a feeeling that if this place can have somewhat reasonable beer prices on event days then this will be the go to spot. Brick City is just too expensive. I go to Bellos for pre-game, but might do this place too.

And is it just me, or does every place that announces an opening, end up getting pushed back 2 - 6 months at least? I think this place was supposed to be open in July, so hopefully it will be before opening day.

Not much, but at least has an opening for Edison Ale House.

Edison Ale House

I have a feeeling that if this place can have somewhat reasonable beer prices on event days then this will be the go to spot. Brick City is just too expensive. I go to Bellos for pre-game, but might do this place too.

And is it just me, or does every place that announces an opening, end up getting pushed back 2 - 6 months at least? I think this place was supposed to be open in July, so hopefully it will be before opening day.

I like Brick City too but I agree it is pricey for what it is and gets pretty cramped closer to game time.

I hope EAH will not have sky-high prices as well. Otherwise I will have to limit myself to the stuff in the Gateway tunnel.

Also, does anyone here also get annoyed that the place that is closer to Gateway plaza in the tunnel closes down at like 5:30-6 right when the crowds come? That place has good, cheap stuff and every time I pass them they are closing up even though I see many people looking in.

I don't think you are going to see massively different prices at anyone around the arena as they only have soo much capacity and they will look to cherry pick costomers that would otherwise not go much farther. I don't think this is any different than anyone else next to "tourist" spots. I think the you need to see more fill in on the other side of the buildings on Market and and that corridor can really pop and potetially run better specials on game nights to drive down prices. I was really dissapointed when the John's Pizzaria fell through as I would have liked to see them go on Market instead.

I don't think you are going to see massively different prices at anyone around the arena as they only have soo much capacity and they will look to cherry pick costomers that would otherwise not go much farther. I don't think this is any different than anyone else next to "tourist" spots. I think the you need to see more fill in on the other side of the buildings on Market and and that corridor can really pop and potetially run better specials on game nights to drive down prices. I was really dissapointed when the John's Pizzaria fell through as I would have liked to see them go on Market instead.

John's fell through? Well that sucks ass. I still like that deal at the place in the tunnel where you get 2 plain slices and a can of soda for 4.95. Cannot beat that!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope EAH will not have sky-high prices as well. Otherwise I will have to limit myself to the stuff in the Gateway tunnel.

If you don't mind walking like half a block out of the way on Market, Bello's has great cheap bar food and a huge beer selection. I love them pregame.

If you don't mind walking like half a block out of the way on Market, Bello's has great cheap bar food and a huge beer selection. I love them pregame.

Definitely the biggest beer selection that I've certainly ever seen, but some of those beers (not the common ones that you could find in any other bar anyway) are a bit pricey per bottle.. Food was fantastic!! Perfect place to end a bar crawl (because you don't need to buy much beer at that point)

Edited by Colin226

Definitely the biggest beer selection that I've certainly ever seen, but some of those beers (not the common ones that you could find in any other bar anyway) are a bit pricey per bottle.. Food was fantastic!! Perfect place to end a bar crawl (because you don't need to buy much beer at that point)

I love them pregame, mostly for the food. There are def cheaper beer places, but I'm willing to pay a little more for quality. Also, since I live in NY, every bar in Newark charges less than I'm used to paying.

• 3 weeks later...