Rick DiPietro cheats

eaglejelly

Panthers 4, Islanders 3, OT

In his first game back after missing the previous three with a sprained left knee, Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro came out for warmups and played the first period in clean, white leg pads. However, for the second and third periods, he switched back to his old orange, blue and white pads without an explanation.

A goalie's equipment must be inspected and approved by the NHL before it can be used in a game. Using illegal or uninspected equipment results in an automatic two-game suspension for the player, a $25,000 fine for his team, and $1,000 for the team's equipment manager.

"We are sorry ... but we have no comment on this matter at this time," Mike Murphy, the NHL's senior vice president of hockey operations said via e-mail.

Edited by eaglejelly

oh snap. Using illegal or uninspected equipment results in an automatic two-game suspension for the player, a $25,000 fine for his team, and $1,000 for the team's equipment manager.

ouch. they forgot to put embarrassment for the team & goalie in there

While I can understand how it happened, they should have known better and let the officials know he was going back to his usuals. I'd be an equipment prima donna -- anyone can understand that -- but you've got to dot your T's and cross your I's -

I hope he and the team take accountability - I dont mind thier saying stuff like - we misunderstood the rule - we thought his old pads were considered inspected - sure we're not happy - but ultimately we were wrong for not letting anyone know -- for not making SURE the pads were considered inspected. Keep the whining etc for behind closed doors. They have to laugh off any insinuation of cheating -- not get all indignant. and give full support to Du..blah..wivitctzs..tzcztzs..ssss :unsure:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm not sure anyone is saying the pads themselves are too big. Just that they were never inspected and certified "OK!" by the NHL in Toronto and therefore it was illegal for him to wear them. Apparently they can see where the "Inspected by #17" is stamped on the equipment and it wasn't there.

I don't see why he should get a pass for this. Ignorance is not supposed to be a defense.

I'm not sure anyone is saying the pads themselves are too big. Just that they were never inspected and certified "OK!" by the NHL in Toronto and therefore it was illegal for him to wear them. Apparently they can see where the "Inspected by #17" is stamped on the equipment and it wasn't there.

I don't see why he should get a pass for this. Ignorance is not supposed to be a defense.