2008 NHL Draft

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I always seem to start these threads early, but never mind.

The mid season rankings are out and Hockey's future has set up their 2008 draft center, and produced their current top 30:

Top 30

At this point in the season its always hard to speculate who would be the right choice, people will climb others will fall. Also we have no idea where the devils will finnish at the end of the year, right now we could have a top 15 pick or we could end up with anything up to 30.

So based on last years draft position (Devils would have had #26 if we didn't get rid of Malakov) My question is:

a)Which player would you like to draft.

b) Which player do you think the Devils have a REALISTIC chance of drafting out of the top 30.

One player that really stood out to me on that list was #30 David Toews, playing out of Shattuck St. Mary's and will be attending North Dakota U next year.

Sound familiar???

26 games 23 goals 30 assists 56 points.

What does everyone else think?

• 2 weeks later...

2008 is the year of D-Men...

I could expect a guy like Del Zotto (#14) or Yann Sauve (#21).

As a forward, I would be pretty happy with Joe Colborne, who seems to be a sleeper. Small Jordan Eberle could be a pretty funny pick, similar to Gionta.

Edited by Belizarius

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a rough draft of who I want to select this year based on our standings tonight.

22nd overall - Trade up and draft Zach Boychuk at 16th overall.

52nd overall - Aaron Ness (I think he will fall a bit due to draft type and size)

82nd overall - Patrice Cormier

112 overall - Jared Spurgeon

142 overall - Zach Fenwick

Here is a rough draft of who I want to select this year based on our standings tonight.

22nd overall - Trade up and draft Zach Boychuk at 16th overall.

52nd overall - Aaron Ness (I think he will fall a bit due to draft type and size)

82nd overall - Patrice Cormier

112 overall - Jared Spurgeon

142 overall - Zach Fenwick

Boychuk has a lot of skills this team could really use in the future.

Do you think its possible to move up the draft to get him though, what would we have to give up to get that pick??

As for Aaron Ness , jesus that guy can skate, he is just so fast up and down the ice, he has such good hands as well, this clip on Youtube just says it all:

Dont know much about the other guys, what sort of players are they??

David Clarkson went undrafted. Not that he's the face of the franchise, but still, somebody did a nice scouting job to recognize his work ethic. He doesn't have that narsty Entitlement problem that some of the prima donnas do. Anyway, Central Scouting... isn't that where they TRAIN the scouts???

Boychuk has a lot of skills this team could really use in the future.

Do you think its possible to move up the draft to get him though, what would we have to give up to get that pick??

As for Aaron Ness , jesus that guy can skate, he is just so fast up and down the ice, he has such good hands as well, this clip on Youtube just says it all:

Dont know much about the other guys, what sort of players are they??

Patrice Cormier is a lot like Latendresse for the Habs except he can really fight. His brother is Kevin Cormier, one of the top enforcer prospects out there.

If Jared Spurgeon grows two inches he will be the next Russel. Very good puck mover and a great PP quarterback, responsible in his own end and can play in the Dub so he has some toughness at 5`9.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the rankings...it seems boychuk is in the same position as Parise during his draft year. Both Zach's, both a year older then most in the draft, both around 5`10 and considered undersized, both tearing up respective leagues and Sutter absolutly loves him. Both were ranked around 10-12 in the draft by most experts.