Unsettling Question...

TomsRiverDevil

First of all way to go in not letting Buffalo get the win but going on....

We all know about the steriod era in baseball.

I've heard that HGH runs rampant in the NFL.

Who cares about basketball.

What do you guys think that the level of usage of illegal substances in the NHL is?

Especially with Clemens (best pitcher of generation) effectively going down in scandal, .001% of me wonders about top players in the NHL. (gasp Brodeur?!?)

I am not accusing anyone at all, it would just really break my heart to know if any NHLer, especially our Devils, would be cheating.

Thoughts?

Hockey is so much more about speed and flexibility then strength I don't really think the roids help that because they WEAKEN ligamnets which you need for skating speed and skills.....

I know Sean Hill was caught last season when he was still with the Isles and was suspended for 20 games. Chelios is being tested for many times but he never uses steroid. 2 seasons ago, around 200 players were tested but no one was diagnosis with substance-abuse except Theodore, who claimed that the drugs he took is to help growing hair. (Habs fans said his hair grew too long and because of that, he slipped and injured his ankle, remembered that???)

As for the Devils, I would think Brodeur is one of the prime candidates to be tested, but nothing to report so far. Therefore, I believe that the NHL is probably the cleanest pro sport in N.A.

I know it's not an accurate method, but almost by simply looking at Marty you can tell he's not on steroids. Sure, he works out and is strong, but he doesn't have those ridiculiusly bulging muscles that body builders or MLB players who take steroids have.
Edited by Motor City Devil

#1 - Steroids are unlikely except for enforcers. But steroids are not the only performance enhancing drugs. There are a lot of uppers that guys take before the games that clear the system relatively fast.

#2 - I love how Don Cherry and hockey fans in general trot out the "there have been 3,000 random drug tests and only 1 has turned up positive". Dick Pound's criticism of the NHL was that these "random drug tests" were generally not random at all. The players knew when they were going to be checked. So you have to be a 1 in 3000 idiot to get caught.

Well, let's think of all the incidents in the league where a player has gone completely bonkers and violently assaulted someone...ya know, to see who might be dealing with "roid rage."

Okay, let's see here...

I'm done. Just reviewed my notes.

If I had to guess, I'd say the entire Flyers team is on roids.

Everyone else is clean.

Hockey players would use these substances ( whether its HGH or steriods or whatever) for the healing quality, not the muscle mass... that's what makes Clemens response to stupid, pitchers donot want to get big, they want their arm to recoup faster so they can pitch 8 innings every 5 days instead of 6 inings,....

Hockey players ( and I donot think there are alot who use...) would take it for the healing effects...with all the bumps bruises, and such I'm sure some have played around....

Anyone who believes no one in the NHL is using steroids is as clueless as the people who thought no one was using them in baseball five years ago.

Steroids and HGH greatly increase your recovery time from injuries as well as increasing mass. If the argument is NHL palyers don't use them because speed and flexibility are important but not mass, then why would a baseball pitcher ever use them.

The math is simple; without testing some players will use whatever edge they can get however they can. In a career that is short where the big money stops soon as they stop skating you'd have to be a total hockey homer to think some of these guys wouldn't do whatever they could to prolong their careers.

#1 - Steroids are unlikely except for enforcers. But steroids are not the only performance enhancing drugs. There are a lot of uppers that guys take before the games that clear the system relatively fast.

#2 - I love how Don Cherry and hockey fans in general trot out the "there have been 3,000 random drug tests and only 1 has turned up positive". Dick Pound's criticism of the NHL was that these "random drug tests" were generally not random at all. The players knew when they were going to be checked. So you have to be a 1 in 3000 idiot to get caught.

can't people just be crazy.... cause there's fvcking CRAZY !?!?!?!?

Why does it always have to be a drug or a drink that makes them so??

Ed Belfour is just a LUNATIC, drinks, drugs or otherwise :P

It wouln't surprise me if there were more cases than are being reported. But I've heard too many former and current players say they've never seen or heard of anyone taking steroids to believe its as much of a problem as in the other leagues...