Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

I even have trouble finding a good bagel in NJ. Passabke no problem, but good? Hmeh. Oh I know -- I DO like the flagels in I think the bakery is in Pompton Plains... So I like NJ flat bagels. But no where can you get a bialy but grand street.

There's a couple of good bagel shops around me. I live in Sussex County, so I don't know if that's close to you or not.

I can't stand bagels, not even a little bit, its like eating dry plastic bread!!

This from the country where bread soaked in beef drippings is gourmet! :giggle:

When did you try dry plastic bread?

He's English - that's how it turns out there - hence Yorkshire pudding and the like...

When did you try dry plastic bread?

When i ate a bagel. Also when I attended a tea party hosted by my sister at the age of 4, the food was terrible but the company was just fantastic.

(What I meant was it tastes like play dough, it has that horrible synthetic sort of texture, it is basically fake bread)

This from the country where bread soaked in beef drippings is gourmet! :giggle:

He's English - that's how it turns out there - hence Yorkshire pudding and the like...

I resent that!!! That’s a standard dinner, Fish and Chips is gourmet!

And Yorkshire pudding is totally not bread!

We are good at bread as well!!

Oh right, everything is rather dull there isn't it? Much better here in the land of rebels! :D

<_< Not since we gained the ability to claim everyone else’s cultural delicacies as our own!!

Thank you very much multiculturalism ;)

I have yet to visit your uncivilised nation, but intend to do so in the near future ( in the mean time i will just have to keep importing peanut butter M&M's and franks hot sauce at ridiculous prices!!)

My husband loves English food... lucky he married me. But sadly I dont have my grandmother and great grandmothers' gift of taste removal. I can get 80% of the flavor out about 20% of the time! :evil:

Its something that’s handed down from generation to generation, it started in the middle ages (we are an original six nation, not one of those new fangled expansion nations, with these new age flags and alternate ways of thinking, diluting the gene pool) a long time before we sent all of our "pilgrims" (clearly the only people in the country with taste buds, but not many brain cells) to see how far they could get from England without a map.

There's a Genuardi's near me (in Voorhees I think) that makes very decent bagels. They are very nearly as good as the ones I get at my office in Manhattan, especially if you get them at 9AM on a weekend :).

Fanwood Bagels = best ones in central Jersey so far as I'm concerned.

When i ate a bagel. Also when I attended a tea party hosted by my sister at the age of 4, the food was terrible but the company was just fantastic.

Its something that’s handed down from generation to generation, it started in the middle ages (we are an original six nation, not one of those new fangled expansion nations, with these new age flags and alternate ways of thinking, diluting the gene pool) a long time before we sent all of our "pilgrims" (clearly the only people in the country with taste buds, but not many brain cells) to see how far they could get from England without a map.

:rofl:

laugh.gif

(What I meant was it tastes like play dough, it has that horrible synthetic sort of texture, it is basically fake bread)

blink.gif So, your defense to being accused of eating plastic bread is to counter it with a "no no no I eat play-doh"? unsure.gif

I have yet to visit your uncivilised nation, but intend to do so in the near future ( in the mean time i will just have to keep importing peanut butter M&M's and franks hot sauce at ridiculous prices!!)

rofl.gif

When you do visit the Colonies, be sure to try a pulled pork sammich at Sonny's if you are near one. It's awesome and will hook you into ordering MORE Colonial fare at obscene prices. I prefer the Sizzlin Sweet myself. Sonnys We order it by the case of 1/2 gallon bottles to be delivered up to us in Jersey.

Nice w/o a map reference too. :clap2:

CD#9 you need to try some fresh bagels when you eventually make it to the US, they are really nothing like the "bagels" you find in the UK.

I am now intrigued to compare, i will revisit the bagel issue before i set sail.

Bagels are like cities. They all seem like they're good maybe even great until you see what's in NYC. :evil: then it's just no contest

and I loved the original 6 ref too! :hail: I was just speechless! :giggle:

Well was born in Streatham near London, and grew up in Croydon (home of Kate moss (she went to my high school) and the birthplace of the Croydon Facelift (see Kate Moss in Paris this week)) so anywhere where they have buildings more than 4 stories high is guaranteed to get my bagel in a twist.

blink.gif So, your defense to being accused of eating plastic bread is to counter it with a "no no no I eat play-doh"? unsure.gif

rofl.gif

When you do visit the Colonies, be sure to try a pulled pork sammich at Sonny's if you are near one. It's awesome and will hook you into ordering MORE Colonial fare at obscene prices. I prefer the Sizzlin Sweet myself. Sonnys We order it by the case of 1/2 gallon bottles to be delivered up to us in Jersey.

You mean to tell me that you have never had a fluorescent blue and purple cheeseburger with bright green fries!!!

When someone lovingly sculpts you a meal, you don't ask questions!!!! You just smile and hope that when it comes out the other end it looks like a dinosaur!

I am taking notes on all of this, i am hoping to make the trip either late this year or early next year (my original date was pushed back due to lack of funds and a trip to Morocco surfing).

playdough is way too salty for my diet now. Although I must confess to checking when Rebecca was into it -- they seem to have a low-salt version now. :huh:

I am not supprised, when you make chips you just don't need the additional salt!

Change of subject, how much are you guys paying for petrol (fuel, gas whatever, see god damn expansion nations) per gallon these days?

The price over her has gone haywire and we are paying close to $10 a gallon, and i was just wondering out of interest how much we are getting screwed. :moose:

In South Jersey we are anywhere from $3.29-$3.39/gal that's the cheap stuff. The Super is 3.79ish

And I'm yelling RAPE! at THESE prices. Here's something cool to look at about gas prices. Typical Gas prices just click a state and then a town.

Thought you people used Euros and paid per Liter over there? :huh:

Isn't the reason NYC has the best bagels the tap water? I remember seeing or hearing that somewhere. The tap water in Manhattan and Brooklyn have the perfect pH balance, hardness/softness or whatever and places around the world invest tons of money in trying to duplicate it but can't quite do it. Something like that.

Cheapest I saw gas on my morning commute was $2.43, most expensive $2.49 for regular here in MD. Something else I miss about Jersey. Cheapest gas and you don't even have to pump it. Ah, what a life! I had it all, I tells ya.

Isn't the reason NYC has the best bagels the tap water? I remember seeing or hearing that somewhere. The tap water in Manhattan and Brooklyn have the perfect pH balance, hardness/softness or whatever and places around the world invest tons of money in trying to duplicate it but can't quite do it. Something like that.

Cheapest I saw gas on my morning commute was $2.43, most expensive $2.49 for regular here in MD. Something else I miss about Jersey. Cheapest gas and you don't even have to pump it. Ah, what a life! I had it all, I tells ya.

No way you are still in the "2s".