Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

Anytime I hear that, I think of The Waterboy.

"Bobby, did they end up finding the gorilla who broke out of the zoo and (punched you in the eye)?" "No mama, the search continues."

Being the random thread and all figured I'd throw that out there.

:lol: Awesome movie!

Edited by devilsfan26

Leonadro di Caprio you are a good actor, but don't put your nose in Brazilian matters. Mostly because you probably can't pinpoint where the hydroplant is gonna be. Second because you are in no way affect by the power-plant. And last but most import the decision to build the damm powerplant should be of the people direct affect by the project.

Thank you .

It's nothig new and not even that funny but I CANNOT get this out of my head -- it's been 2 weeks and I watch it about 5 times a day... or just say "yeah yeah the maple kind Yeah" to myself for hours on end.... or "what was in there" barely opening my mouth like the dog...

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 weeks later...

Rant time:

Verizon home phone and DSL internet absolutely blow.

For the last month or two, we've had an issue where incoming calls knock out our internet connection and the modem had to be reset in order to restore the connection. On Saturday, this happens again. It just so happens to coincide with a regional outage (of which there are many). When the regional outage is restored on Sunday, our internet is still down. I call Verizon's customer service, and it goes something like this ...

Verizon DSL: What seems to be the problem?

Me: Our internet is down.

Verizon DSL: When did it go down?

Me: When we received an incoming call last night.

Verizon DSL: Oh, that's a phone issue. Let me forward you ...

Verizon Phone: What seems to be the problem?

Me: An incoming call knocked out our internet connection last night.

Verizon Phone: Oh, that's a DSL issue. Let me forward you ...

Me: An incoming call knocked out our internet last night. The last DSL person I talked to said it was a phone issue. The phone person said it was a DSL issue.

Verizon DSL: Do you ever hear static during your phone calls?

Me: Now that you mention it, yes. Yes we do from time to time.

Verizon DSL: That's definitely a phone issue. Let me forward you ...

Verizon Phone: What seems to be the problem?

Me: A phone call knocked out our internet. DSL said it's a phone issue. Phone said it's a DSL issue. Then DSL told me that, because we get static on our line, it's a phone issue.

Verizon phone: We have absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection. Let me forward you ...

Me: I'm getting passed back and forth like crazy between the DSL help and phone help. Please tell me you can actually help me and not just pass me back to the phone people?

Verizon DSL: I shall do my best. What is your problem?

Me: A phone call knocked out our internet connection and we have static on our line. Every DSL person I talk to says that it's a phone issue. Every phone person says it's a DSL issue. What do I have to do to get this resolved?

Verizon DSL: Talk to the phone people. Let me forward you ...

This went on for an HOUR. Finally a phone person put a ticket in to solve the static issue. They told me he'd come on Tuesday between 8am and 2pm and he would only need access to my apartment building's phone room, not our actual apartment. He came yesterday, and it's a good thing he came a day early because he needed access to the apartment and I happened to have the day off.

He fixed the static and said he was trained to fix my internet problem too, but because Verizon sucks, he isn't allowed to fix my internet. He said Verizon is basically two companies, phone and DSL, and each company tries to hand all their problems off to the other.

Comcast is coming on Friday. Enough of this crap.

/rant

:doh1:

That sounds about right.

The shame of it is that I've had some very good experiences with their customer service prior to this weekend. We've had all kinds of issues with our DSL, and almost every time I called I got someone who very patiently walked me through the steps needed to resolve it. But the fact that there were numerous issues in the first place was the first straw, and the nightmare between home phone and DSL this weekend was the last straw.

Looking forward to getting Comcast back (had them in Jersey). We signed up for their Blast internet which is more than five times faster than the DSL we had. This is gonna make streaming NHL GameCenterLIVE through PS3 SOOOOOO much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh...Kate Upton had so much going for her. She's gorgeous, she seems fairly intelligent. Then I read this sentence.

God damn it.

ohmy.gifpuke.gifdontknow.gif

and because I just saw it ---> flippedmoose.gif

Nice moose standing on his head!

Why do I seem to see people driving with their high beams on all the time? It's really annoying. Do they not even realize it? Are they that absent-minded? Or do they just think, "I can see better this way. That's all that really matters."?

:soap:

Must be a Jersey thing. :noclue: Either that or you're seeing a lot of those newer mega-bright lights that are so white they're almost blue.

Why do I seem to see people driving with their high beams on all the time? It's really annoying. Do they not even realize it? Are they that absent-minded? Or do they just think, "I can see better this way. That's all that really matters."?

:soap:

A college friend of mine did this all the time. His car had automatic headlights that came on when it got dark, but he must've still felt like he had to turn his lights on. So he'd turn his highbeams on. :doh1: I remember being in the car with him one time ...

Me: Dude, I think your high beams are on.

Him: No they aren't.

Me: Everyone's flashing their highs at you, and see that little blue headlight thingy on your dash? That means your highs are on.

Him: No, that just means my headlights are on.

Automatic stuff is making people dumber. That's my theory, at least.

Accents are funny.

I was born and raised in Jersey, lived there my whole life. I was aware of the Jersey accent, but never really noticed it. Even when I went away to school in South Jersey where people struggle with the letter O, the typical Jersey accent never really stood out to me.

But now that I've been in Maryland for just one year, I can't believe how much the Jersey accent sticks out to me. My own parents, whom I practically learned the English language from, sound foreign now. Every time I hear my Mom say the word "dog", I feel like she's a complete stranger. "Who are you? My mother doesn't sound like a stereotype! What evil wizardry is this?!"

Conversely, the Maryland accent is killing me. There are similar struggles with the letter O as there were in South Jersey, but it goes beyond that. The city Baltimore is pronounced like something closer to Baw-di-moowr. The word "on" is "oo-wn". That might not sound like much, but when someone uses the phrase "on and on and on" it sounds so damned weird. And the phrase "hold on" too. It's like "hode oo-wn".

It's only been a year, and the voice in my head is starting to speak in a Maryland accent. I'm lucky I'm catching it before it comes out my mouth, but I'm afraid it might not last much longer. I feel like Dr. Jekyll trying to hold in Mr. Hyde. HOLD in. Not HODE in. Hold. Deep breath. Don't forget to pronounce the L. Hold.

Stupid accents.

Haha - my nextdoor neighbor in CT is from Baltimore. Always greets us with Hullouw -- you know forget trying to capture it -- just the ehowooo sound has so many modulations in pitch alone that it can't be captured on paper. It's a good thing John Waters films capture that just .. unspeakably WEIRD accent.

hahaha Yeah, the damn thing is pretty impossible to try to spell out. People unfamiliar with MD accents are probably looking at my "oo-wn" and thinking "What the hell is that supposed to sound like?" :lol:

This dude nails it:

At least in Jersey, people have the common decency to speak with an accent that can be easily spelled out.