Low Attendance in New Jersey: The Devil is in the Details

NJD Jester

nah actually I still stand by the fact that I think newark is pretty much a disaster outside of a 4 block radius game time at the rock. I'm just never going to be a fan of that city and unless you have been in my position your never going to understand my point of view.
Edited by Marv4Life

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and that proves the point that Newark is no worse off than MSG yet the Garden sells out every night - ergo the idea that the reason the Prudentail Center has bad attendance shouldn't be linked to the "sketchy" areas around the arena! (which yes, I agree the NJPAC center is really sketchy).

It's pretty obvious that lower ticket prices sell better - enough said.

and I haven't feared anything during any of my trips to the Rock. What this shows is that people don't care what areas are really like they only care about the perception of the area. Even though we have a probably case of gunfire outside MSG it is "safe" and there haven't been any problems at events for the Rock(even though some newspaper desperately want there to be one) and it is considered "unsafe".

The only way to correct the misconception is to repeat to people that there haven't been problems at Rock events not to complain the Rock is unsafe despite evidence to the contrary.

Even if I didn't read a single post, I would've guessed that prices and perception are the two things keeping the Devils down in attendance.

All we can hope is that the team's management looks at all the facts and figures after taking a week off for winning the Cup this June (a guy can dream), and figure something out to bring prices down. I wholeheartedly agree that $95 for one seat is not going to result in many tickets sold. Just bringing a date or one kid to a game will cost you $200 just to get frisked at the door. For the average blue-collar person, that's insane.

And let's not kid ourselves here. The Devils will never be as sexy as the Rangers. The corporate support won't be there filling up the lower bowl every night. I really think Devils fans are predominantly blue-collar fans. (I have to admit that I have 0 evidence to back that up, though.) Currently, aside from the 200s and group sales areas in the 100s corners, the blue collar fans are priced out of the game. I'm not blowing $400 (tickets, food, parking, a random souvenir) to occupy my kids' fleeting attention span for 2 and 1/2 hours of our collective lives when I can take them to the movies for $30 and get them Parise and Zajac jerseys for $150 a pop that they'll wear every day for a year while we watch the team on HDTV.

Perception of Newark... what can you do? That's up to the people who own the land and the city itself to clean it up. It IS happening, though, slowly but surely. Maybe too slowly for many, but it's happening. Anyone noticed how they refurbished the facade of that dilapidated building on Edison? Now if only they could get a restaurant and some tenants, and the revitalization will hopefully spread.

The other thing that will help perception is obviously getting more people to think it's safe down there. Forget the hockey crowd for a minute and think bigger. Look at prucenter.com. They FINALLY got ONE legitimate concert in there, and it's Tom Petty in June. I'm sure the Spice Girls will draw well too, but whomever's in charge of booking dates needs to really get their act together. If it wasn't for Vanderbeek's Devils and Ironmen, along with Seton Hall, (none of which carry monstrous drawing power) the arena would be dark every night. Meanwhile, the demise of IZOD hasn't exactly happened, has it? They've got concerts left and right, WWF, whatever Crap on Ice, and even monster trucks and the Globetrotters. I'm not saying all those things are top notch, but people are going. People who should be going to Prudential to see those events in Newark and see that the surrounding area isn't bad.

Holy S#!t. This was long and I'm sorry. I promise not to say anything more.

Even if I didn't read a single post, I would've guessed that prices and perception are the two things keeping the Devils down in attendance.

All we can hope is that the team's management looks at all the facts and figures after taking a week off for winning the Cup this June (a guy can dream), and figure something out to bring prices down. I wholeheartedly agree that $95 for one seat is not going to result in many tickets sold. Just bringing a date or one kid to a game will cost you $200 just to get frisked at the door. For the average blue-collar person, that's insane.

And let's not kid ourselves here. The Devils will never be as sexy as the Rangers. The corporate support won't be there filling up the lower bowl every night. I really think Devils fans are predominantly blue-collar fans. (I have to admit that I have 0 evidence to back that up, though.) Currently, aside from the 200s and group sales areas in the 100s corners, the blue collar fans are priced out of the game. I'm not blowing $400 (tickets, food, parking, a random souvenir) to occupy my kids' fleeting attention span for 2 and 1/2 hours of our collective lives when I can take them to the movies for $30 and get them Parise and Zajac jerseys for $150 a pop that they'll wear every day for a year while we watch the team on HDTV.

Perception of Newark... what can you do? That's up to the people who own the land and the city itself to clean it up. It IS happening, though, slowly but surely. Maybe too slowly for many, but it's happening. Anyone noticed how they refurbished the facade of that dilapidated building on Edison? Now if only they could get a restaurant and some tenants, and the revitalization will hopefully spread.

The other thing that will help perception is obviously getting more people to think it's safe down there. Forget the hockey crowd for a minute and think bigger. Look at prucenter.com. They FINALLY got ONE legitimate concert in there, and it's Tom Petty in June. I'm sure the Spice Girls will draw well too, but whomever's in charge of booking dates needs to really get their act together. If it wasn't for Vanderbeek's Devils and Ironmen, along with Seton Hall, (none of which carry monstrous drawing power) the arena would be dark every night. Meanwhile, the demise of IZOD hasn't exactly happened, has it? They've got concerts left and right, WWF, whatever Crap on Ice, and even monster trucks and the Globetrotters. I'm not saying all those things are top notch, but people are going. People who should be going to Prudential to see those events in Newark and see that the surrounding area isn't bad.

Holy S#!t. This was long and I'm sorry. I promise not to say anything more.

The buildings on Edison Place look like garbage, but are worth alot of $$$$. The same problem that happens in AC is going to arise here. Overnight, someone's shack or wannabe crackhouse goes from being worth $5, to $5 million. Now, just try to get them to sell and go away. Me, I'd go eminent domain and level the whole block in one shot.

Meanwhile, the demise of IZOD hasn't exactly happened, has it? They've got concerts left and right, WWF, whatever Crap on Ice, and even monster trucks and the Globetrotters. I'm not saying all those things are top notch, but people are going. People who should be going to Prudential to see those events in Newark and see that the surrounding area isn't bad.

From Vince's eyes the dump in the swamp makes more sense cause he can fit more fans in there, and that means more dollars... but I personally won't go to a show until they put one in Newark... not that I matter in hte grand scheme... I'm done with that toilet in the swamp!

But like has been said here before... both buildings are hurting each other... more so when you schedule basketball and hockey games on the same night... it's just 5-star stupidity!

But I expect no less from this awful state :P

ive been to the rock 9 times now and i can't say i've ever seen anything even remotely sketchy. i think its definitely as safe and as convenient as msg. theres always a ton of people around, and the gateway center walk has alot of nice shops and keeps you out of the cold/rain. i think alot of people have reservations about going into newark for a game, but once people give it a shot i think alot of their perceptions will change.

I don't understand your point here. If you lived in a crappy place that suddenly became valuable, why wouldn't you sell it and realize that potential value? I'm not being sarcastic or snide, I just don't understand.

Because you have something valueable, and want to sell it for even more. Greed. Also depends on whether the current owner

is the original owner, you might have more invested.

That dump across the street from the smoking balcony has a 201 number spraypainted on it, it's been for sale for that long.

Because you have something valueable, and want to sell it for even more. Greed. Also depends on whether the current owner

is the original owner, you might have more invested.

That dump across the street from the smoking balcony has a 201 number spraypainted on it, it's been for sale for that long.

I have a 201 number. I know what you're saying though. You have to admit that they've done a nice job with the facade of the building on the far left though. It looked just like the other ones in October , yet its clearly in much better shape now. It almost looks - gasp - livable/usable.

I have a 201 number. I know what you're saying though. You have to admit that they've done a nice job with the facade of the building on the far left though. It looked just like the other ones in October , yet its clearly in much better shape now. It almost looks - gasp - livable/usable.

Yep, now they just gotta pressure wash their way on down the block.

I should have been clearer, the number was spraypainted 201 and then x'd out and changed to 973.