Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

1st off block the map is misleading. Nothing happened on Columbia Street downtown, it was Columbia Avenue in Vailsburg.

Also restaurants and bars don't make the area perfect, but they make the area somewhat stable and less worn out, replacing the lower class element(hair/wig shops, African stores, etc along Edison, Mulberry and Market pre-Rock completion). When the arena first opened what was the major complaint people had about the area, on here, other Devils forums and the media? That there's nothing around the place to eat or drink. Would you rather have Edison/Market remained abandoned and burnt out like it was in 07?

Jersey City(aka Newport) already had something to bring in the yuppies: a mall, and Manhattan across the river. Hoboken had nice restaurants and Manhattan across the river before new housing took over. Other than the Rock and NJPAC--which you have to pay to get in and aren't open all the time, what draw does downtown Newark have to lure a crapload of yuppies in? The restaurants are needed believe it or not.

1st off block the map is misleading. Nothing happened on Columbia Street downtown, it was Columbia Avenue in Vailsburg.

Also restaurants and bars don't make the area perfect, but they make the area somewhat stable and less worn out, replacing the lower class element(hair/wig shops, African stores, etc along Edison, Mulberry and Market pre-Rock completion). When the arena first opened what was the major complaint people had about the area, on here, other Devils forums and the media? That there's nothing around the place to eat or drink. Would you rather have Edison/Market remained abandoned and burnt out like it was in 07?

Jersey City(aka Newport) already had something to bring in the yuppies: a mall, and Manhattan across the river. Hoboken had nice restaurants and Manhattan across the river before new housing took over. Other than the Rock and NJPAC--which you have to pay to get in and aren't open all the time, what draw does downtown Newark have to lure a crapload of yuppies in? The restaurants are needed believe it or not.

:blink: ??

Agreed with what youre trying to say but dont make it a race issue. African stores are not lower class by virtue of being African, nor do they prevent gentrification and middle-class folks from moving in.

"Fact of the matter is crime really determines where you want to live as well as schools, quality of life, etc. Do you really think people who are already scared of the Newark Abbot District school system, high crime rate are willing to move in cause a few wine bars and art galleries?"

And you really nailed it.. good SCHOOLS are what is going to attract a middle class into Newark.. either public or private. Right now the only good school in Newark is Robert Treat and that is based on a very competitive lottery system. If you don't get in you are S C R E W ED.

Well I'm glad that you are consistent block...gloom and doom everywhere! Burn the city down and give up....

In other news, I'll ask a very simple question to anyone that stumbles across this thread. Do you think you would have had any reason to venture into Newark and do anything 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Block, I get the gloom and doom but seriously do think the city is worse now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Newark has HUGE HUGE HUGE problems, but it also has tremendous opportunities, I just don't see how the sensationalism of it's problems accomplishes anything other than aimless bitching.

I find myself wondering...would you go on general NJ threads and post every time something goes wrong in the state?

Edited by newarkdev01

And the Rock’s management “fully expects” a sports-themed restaurant called The Penalty Box, situated in the building’s ground-floor space on Edison Place, to be open by the spring, said arena spokesman Bob Sommer.

Didn't realize that this would be opening so soon.. Can't wait to check it out.. I like the idea of making Edison a restaurant row

I had no idea they were building that. Is it right next to the Devils Den or further down?

I'm assuming it will be past the PNC Bank, more towards Brick City Bar, but I could be wrong.. I know sometimes I can see in and right now it's a warehouse space for chairs, which I guess are used for concert floors and other events.. But it's a fairly large space

I also thought I remember them saying this new bar would be under the large screen in the front of the building, so who knows where it will actually end up.. I would have assumed that it would be under construction already if they want it open in the spring

I think that it's a cool idea to make that area a restaurant row. But because of the narrowness of the street, relative to the height of the PruCenter, I think something creative will have to be done with the lighting there for it to succeed. The tall building makes it darker there and on non-event nights I think that people will feel a bit uneasy about patronizing that street. Lighting it up will make the patrons more comfortable and expand the business beyond weekday lunches and event night dinners. They'll be in prime position once those hotels open though, so that's a big plus.

Has a really cool pic of the Marriott hotel being built. Hope it looks like that and not just a regular Courtyard hotel. Projects/Business

Prudential Arena Area Development

The firm has been retained to design a hotel, several restaurants, retail and commercial buildings with residential loft-type units around the Prudential Arena site in Newark. Mixed use structures include combinations of historic renovation, restoration/re-use and new construction. Initial hotel design projects have morphed into the current residential and office development projects, which include retail and restaurant uses at the ground floor, to co-exist with the neighboring NJ Devils restaurants and theme stores. In the shadow of the arena, the diverse uses are part of a new urban life that is emerging in the Four Corners district of downtown near Penn Station. First phase retail and restaurants are currently under construction.

Definitely worth checking out for Newark projects.

Also came across this

Gov. Chris Christie: Get Izod Center off taxpayer's backs

With no buyer around, these are the logical choices:

• Hand it over to Triple Five, the Hail Mary developers of Xanadu.

• Or, as the more likely option, have Izod managed by the Prudential Center.

Has a really cool pic of the Marriott hotel being built. Hope it looks like that and not just a regular Courtyard hotel. Projects/Business

Definitely worth checking out for Newark projects.

Also came across this

Gov. Chris Christie: Get Izod Center off taxpayer's backs

The IZOD one is pretty interesting. I think the sad reality is that Bergen County Pols even with all they have will not give any ground without a fight. I would love the Pru to operate it and basically have the ability to control what concerts go where in Northern NJ. The state has subsidized this all for way way to long.

Drove past the site of the Teacher's Village and it seems like they've started construction (well, they've dug a big hole).. I'm assuming the digging is for this project although it's weird that there was no ground breaking

Ya but they did the NHA groudbreaking way after construction started. It's more about the press and having all the officials around.

Ya but they did the NHA groudbreaking way after construction started. It's more about the press and having all the officials around.

True.. Also, I walked past the new Marriot today and it seems to be coming along (what do I know anyway).. Saw workers in the basement area.. They seem to have some beams in

I know someone had posted a design company's concept for the Marriot (and thought it might be the real design being used), but the sign outside of the construction shows it looking like this:

MarriottNewark-LocFP.jpg

Ya the hotels are huge because it continues the ability of the area to have self supporting retail such as restaurants. I think if that gets combined with Teachers village you have the ability to get somo to be self sustaining. I know it's looking ahead but I would love to see Edision revisit the hotel concept they had on the boards for Mulberry st.

If you come in from the Turnpike via Raymound BLVD you pass this park...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/gov_christie_notes_cooperation.html

Very cool...

But I'm curious if anyone knows what's up with that Indigo hotel that was going in on the corner of Broad and Edison Pl.? I mean they have the space around it cleared, but I can't say I've seen much change all summer.. Maybe they are just really working on gutting and rebuilding the inside right now? It just worries me that there might be an issue with it.. I would hate for that to fall through