Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

BCBG closing sucks.  Upstairs bar was the only non-crowded place to get a drink before a game.

BCBG was also grossly overpriced (well more so than the others) and their food wasn't anything special.  From what I see on HF Boards apparently Houlihans and TGIF's are interested in their spot.

Looks nice.

What are the chances they will not allow anyone in a Devils jersey at their bar and rooftop bar on game days like Loft 47 did when they opened up?  These hipster "boutique" hotels like to enforce rules like that.

Wow I didn't realize Loft had that policy (and you're referring to their 2nd level right?).. Clearly had to get rid of that haha!

I'd say 2 things probably indicate that Devils jersey will be allowed up there from the start:

1) This piece of copy from the Hotel Indigo Newark website: "The Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown is the closest hotel to the Prudential Center's main entrance. Enjoy a pre-event dinner in our restaurant and return to our roof top lounge for a night cap among the city lights!". So hopefully they realize that people coming back from an event (Devils game) will be in their jerseys

2) An NJ.com article came out in May discussing how Josh Harris invested in the project in order to ensure its completion. I have got to believe that if he's involved, they'll be a little more Devils-friendly than they otherwise might have been, but we'll see

Btw that article has a really nice sketch of the hotel bar, which looks pretty big!

15019940-mmmain.jpg

They will probably allow jerseys, but there is that outside chance it might happen.

Yeah Loft had that policy the first few weeks it was open.  It was not just upstairs, but the entire bar/lounge/restaurant.  I heard they felt like the jerseys made the place less "classy."  They changed because it was becoming a ghost town compared to Dino, EAH and BCBG.

That is why I do not really patronize them as they basically looked down on Devils fans and only changed their policy because they were losing a ton of business.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit from yesterday's Star Ledger piece on the Devils' owners:

Repaired the contentious relationship with Newark leadership that festered under previous ownership, leading to renewed hope of a N.J. Transit substation and a park outside the arena entrance.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/08/why_devils_owners_josh_harris_and_david_blitzer_are_the_most_influential_people_in_new_jersey_sports.html

I have never heard anyone mention an NJT substation immediately outside the arena. Anyone else know anything about that? What would be the point of the park out front if everyone is taking a train right to the arena? Still, I think this would be awesome and encourage more fans to come to games if they don't have to walk up from Newark Penn

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/08/why_devils_owners_josh_harris_and_david_blitzer_are_the_most_influential_people_in_new_jersey_sports.html

I have never heard anyone mention an NJT substation immediately outside the arena. Anyone else know anything about that? What would be the point of the park out front if everyone is taking a train right to the arena? Still, I think this would be awesome and encourage more fans to come to games if they don't have to walk up from Newark Penn

Substation won't ever happen.  Will always be a pipe dream.

Park is a possibility, but I am not holding my breath.  If the park idea happens it probably won't happen for at least another couple of years.

Good read. Crazy that Harris has made $397 million in the last year alone... Dude's swimming in it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Stealing this great post from Brick City over on HFBoards:

Pretty sure someone here asked for an update on the Indigo Hotel once it was completed. I walked by the building last night before the game and it is indeed up and running. Did not go inside, but there is a ground floor restaurant called Alva New American Tavern at the rear of the building which is open for business. There is also a rooftop bar (with an indoor section) and a snack/coffee stand in the lobby both operated by the Alva owners.

Alva Tavern (plus rooftop bar and lobby stand) website:  http://www.alvatavern.com/

Pictures from Blackwood Hospitality (owner of the above eateries) facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/blackwoodhospitality

Pictures of Hotel Indigo lobby from its facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hotel-Indigo-Newark-Downtown/368601029971274?sk=photos_stream

Also a good article about the hotel and its eateries:  http://www.newarkinc.com/thomas_edison_theme_runs_throughout_newark_hotel

Rock Plaza Lofts also rented out its last vacancy on the Market Street side (and possibly Edison Place as well) to Redd's Restaurant & Bar. It already has a location in the Meadowlands and the Market Street signage indicated that there will be banquet space. The ground floor is contiguous between Market Street and Edison Place - would not be surprised if this restaurant runs the length of the building and has entrances on both streets.

http://www.reddsrestaurant.com/

The Novelty Burger location is still under construction but a new sign for them went up so that is still happening.

Edited by Colin226

Is Novelty Burger going where Uber Burger was?

Also I saw a what looked like a bar on the 2nd floor above Edison Ale House.  Is that part of Edison Ale House or that place that used to be called Loft 47 (I think its called something with the word "Venue" in it).

Edited by DevsMan84

Is Novelty Burger going where Uber Burger was?

Also I saw a what looked like a bar on the 2nd floor above Edison Ale House.  Is that part of Edison Ale House or that place that used to be called Loft 47 (I think its called something with the word "Venue" in it).

I believe Novelty Burger is actually going in on Market Street, next to Mercato Tomato Pie, I believe. That Uber Burger space may never get filled with all of the options that are going in on the north end of the arena where a majority of traffic comes.

And yeah, I'm not really sure what that 2nd floor space is connected to, but I think it's part of Taste Venue (former Loft 47). Could be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to mercato last game and got a pepperoni pizza. Thought it was terrible, way too greasy. It was dripping off the pizza. Wouldn't go back.

I've been meaning to go there and thanks for the review. That sucks it was way too greasy but I would rather have my pizza too greasy than too dry.

Went to monk room for the first time earlier this month. Small place with small bar but a nice place and the beer selection was solid. Had the autumn Betty pizza which was overall good, but slightly on the bland side.

Another article summarizing the developments near the Rock.  It sounds like the downtown area could take off (i.e. gentrify), but it is too hard to know.  Something will have to convince people that if they move in, others like themselves will follow, collectively making it safer.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-developments-seen-as-boosting-future-of-newark-1419904327

Had the Sirloin Tri Tip steak sandwich over at the Ironbound concession last night.  Large portion and was top notch.

So far have had food from the Jersey Grind (Much better burgers than last few seasons), Slider House rules (so-so in both times I have had them and one time they didn't have half the toppings for the sliders that was supposed to come with it) and Tony Baloney's (both the Shroom sandwich and Chicken sandwich were excellent).

Overall much better food this year.

• 3 weeks later...

And yeah, I'm not really sure what that 2nd floor space is connected to, but I think it's part of Taste Venue (former Loft 47). Could be wrong though.

Yes, it's part of Taste Venue and is called Suite 53.  http://www.tastevenue.com/suitefifty3-1.html  Kind of found it by accident the other night.  Basically seems like someone set up a bar in their attic.  Very basic set up but not a bad place for a couple of beers.

• 4 weeks later...

The picture does look nice but it would have been more accurate to show it covered with snow and ice and in the dark since that's what it will look like for 75% of the games each season.

• 4 months later...

New Prudential tower is almost complete...as is the Cablevision building.  The Shaq tower seems dead in the water despite years of politicians insisting it would be built. Projects around the Rock are almost complete, too. There are some exciting proposals for Market Street but those are nothing more than proposals at this stage.