Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

OK, I'll put up my summary of stuff around the arena tomorrow... But Shaq has just announced that he will be building a $90 million, 25 story condo tower in Downtown Newark. It will be built near NJPAC and will be Newark's third tallest building. The condos will be market rate. Link

Shaq is from Newark. I wonder if we ever get an NBA team at The Rock like the Bobcats, Nets, or Grizzlies if he become a part owner or something...

OK, I'll put up my summary of stuff around the arena tomorrow... But Shaq has just announced that he will be building a $90 million, 25 story condo tower in Downtown Newark. It will be built near NJPAC and will be Newark's third tallest building. The condos will be market rate. Link

Shaq is from Newark. I wonder if we ever get an NBA team at The Rock like the Bobcats, Nets, or Grizzlies if he become a part owner or something...

Wow. Now is this the first high-end condominium tower getting built in Newark since this whole downtown rejuvination? One way or another, it's a good sign for the city. And good for Shaq, giving back to his hometown.

Wow. Now is this the first high-end condominium tower getting built in Newark since this whole downtown rejuvination?

Yes it is... Another article said that this building will be designed by the architect who did Trump's buildings along West Side Highway in Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...
It's on Broad Street.

Awesome, thanks! I agree with 95crash that it's a great idea to have an entrance on that side. I saw some show on the History Channel a while back about incorporating the past into new buildings, and they mentioned the plan to include this old railroad station with the Rock. It's good to see it come to fruition.

Here are some pictures that I've taken over the past month around The Rock.

The skybridge attaching the arena to the VIP garage has been completed.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChampion.jpg

Boroks is being gutted (note the chute)

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-1.jpg

Brick City Bar and Grill changed its front construction barrier and you can peek in through the glass underneath the sign.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-5.jpg

This is taken from floor level. Not much has been done inside.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-4.jpg

Here's a building at the intersection of Broad and Market that is being renovated into dormrooms for Seton Hall Law School. (Hopefully will help out ticket sales with the college kids so close to the arena)

Lafayette8-18Newark8-20087.jpg

Here's an alley next to Scullys between Clinton and Market that I think would make a nice pedestrian walkway with stores and restaurants like in European cities.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-7.jpg

Now, I took this picture from "Soccer Stop" blog of the new Red Bull Arena soccer stadium thats (finally) being built across the river from the Ironbound. Steel started going up 2 weeks ago so they are making good progress.

RedBullArenasteelconstruction003.jpg

Here's a rendering of what the stadium is going to look like. The square-ish part of it is what you see in the picture above. It's supposed to open late 2009-early 2010.

redbullarenadesign.jpg

When I was walking around the entry plaza (across from the team store where the statue is going to go) I saw a guy in his work clothes and a Prudential Center name tag. So, I talked to him for a while and he told me the status of the projects around the arena. Right now they are only focusing on the entry plaza and getting that done for the season opener. PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-8.jpgPrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-6.jpg Those three buildings in the back of this picture are going to be torn down for the entry plaza. Here's a look at the front of them Lafayette8-18Newark8-20091.jpg

He said that they are going to put in a restaurant (where the painting of the people on the train is) on Edison Place next to the team store and another one on Mulberry Street under the video board (where the painting with no heads is).PrudentialCenterOpenHouseOctober-16.jpg He said that next they are going to concentrate on Triangle Park and the Broad Street train station entrance. He said that they are finishing the land swaps for Triangle Park and that the NJ Central train station is currently owned by the city and they are working on the plans for it. The plan that I did for the train station is the same thing that they are going to do with it (connect it to the garage and the skybridge).

PrudentialCenterMarch25th2008vsPeng.jpg

TheEaglesTheRock002.jpg

njrrcrossdiagram.jpg

He said that all of the buildings on Broad, Market and Edison are for sale or have been recently sold and are either going to be torn down and have new buildings built or are going to be renovated. He also said that across from the entry plaza infront of the Gateway Center Parking Garage, they are looking to build a Marriott.

I'll be back there on the 6th (when the statue is supposed to go up) so I'll get good pictures there.

Edited by The Rock 07

Thank you so much for that in-depth update great to see progress ... on the Red Bulls stadium too.

funny about that alley next to Scully's .. I drove my wife/daughter to a concert last fall and picked them up at the end .. I was parked in that alley and 2 motorcycle cops were there so we were chatting and they basically told me to follow them out when they left because that street was so dangerous.... :o

Thank you so much for that in-depth update great to see progress ... on the Red Bulls stadium too.

funny about that alley next to Scully's .. I drove my wife/daughter to a concert last fall and picked them up at the end .. I was parked in that alley and 2 motorcycle cops were there so we were chatting and they basically told me to follow them out when they left because that street was so dangerous.... :o

No problem. I can imagine about that alley. There don't seem to be any lights on it and from the upper concourse it sure looks creepy at night.

Looks great, thanks for the update!

I live a few blocks away from where they are building the new Red Bull Stadium, going to be nice when it's finally completed.

How do you like living down there? It seems like a nice place to live.

Thanks for the pics and updates. The RedBull Stadium going up, finally, means that soon we can have an immense stretch of entertainment options in downtown Newark and Harrison.

From Riverfront Stadium, to NJPAC, to the PruCenter, to ReBull Stadium, there should be no shortage of new business created from all of this. Its well noted the new commercial development going on downtown, but now It would be nice to see some residential development to go along with it. The Condos being built near NJPAC are a perfect example of what I would like to see more of near PruCenter, as well. The SH Law School Dorms should be excellent for more foot traffic in the area.