Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Absolutely pained me to have to go back to the site of last night's travesty so soon... but for anyone interested, there was a commercial shoot at the Rock today.

Commercial shoot

Just saw the commercial. Its a skin care commercial filmed outside the press entrance on Mulberry Street of two girls camping out seemingly for a concert. "The truth about zits". Pretty cool.

This weekend I'll be in Columbus and I'll see the Arena District which is what the area around The Rock will hopefully become like. Also, Atlantic Yards has another setback and there will be another hearing in late October which Ratner was hoping would be either thrown out or done in September. Makes Atlantic Yards even more unlikely to happen :evil:

You gonna take pictures? :idea:

Yeah, definatly! I'll be sure to post some on here and give my thoughts. I'm actually doing a Midwest roadtrip and seeing the ballparks out there (with other stops along the way). I'm going to St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Green Bay all in 10 days! After this trip, I will have been to every ballpark except for Arlington, Texas and I will be going there in August. And there I will check out Victory Park around American Airlines Center.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any news on anything going on in Newark, but I know that the people who know the city best tend to frequent this thread and that's who I need some help from. There is going to be a big Opening Day bar crawl before the Devils/Flyers game on Oct. 3 and we're looking to make our way through the Ironbound, finishing up with Devils fan mainstays Hell's Kitchen and Arena Bar. The only problem is that so many of us are pretty unfamiliar with what the Ironbound has to offer.

If you guys wouldn't mind, please hop on over to the crawl's thread over in Heaven and suggest some bars for us to hit on our way to the game. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Today I went to Brick City Bar and Grill for dinner and being such a nice night, I walked around town a bit. I haven't uploaded pictures from my adventure, nor have I from my trips to Columbus and Glendale AZ. But I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. So the Red Bull Arena is coming along and they built a parking garage right near it and are doing site prep on the land around the arena. Then no further progress on Port City Brew Pub (on Commerce) or Brick City Cafe (under the VIP Garage). Championship Plaza is totally grated and there are holes where the statue and the Prudential "rock" are going. There is a concrete outline where the Devils logo on the floor will go. Then next to the Devils Den, a PNC bank is being put in and should be completed by Opening Night. Then I inquired with Blau and Berg about 45 Edison and 218 Market and the guy said that construction will start on the buildings on Edison and Market, featured on that link, in January 2010.

I'll put up a picture update tomorrow.

Dano- I am not very familiar with the Ironbound but you may want to check out the Restaurants thread in Heaven and maybe Quade and thiswontwork can help you once they see this thread.

Then next to the Devils Den, a PNC bank is being put in and should be completed by Opening Night. Then I inquired with Blau and Berg about 45 Edison and 218 Market and the guy said that construction will start on the buildings on Edison and Market, featured on that link, in January 2010.

So wait, where is this bank going? I thought next to DD was storage space (we're talking about in the Pru Center, right).. I remember looking through the glass there one night when it was back lit and it was a giant storage area for chairs..

Any idea what is going in the buildings on Edison and Market?

So wait, where is this bank going? I thought next to DD was storage space (we're talking about in the Pru Center, right).. I remember looking through the glass there one night when it was back lit and it was a giant storage area for chairs..

Yes, the bank is going where the current Devils Den storage is in the Pru Center. They been working on it for about a month now. Now if only they'd get something in the space in the front of the building...

Yes, the bank is going where the current Devils Den storage is in the Pru Center. They been working on it for about a month now. Now if only they'd get something in the space in the front of the building...

I wonder if this will change anything with the $10 ticket line since that usually extends into the area in front of where this new bank is going.

I wonder if this will change anything with the $10 ticket line since that usually extends into the area in front of where this new bank is going.

Maybe they'll put it on the other side of the street or into Championship Plaza?

Here's Red Bull Arena

IMG_1965.jpg

Richardson Lofts

IMG_1998.jpg

Under VIP Garage, the future site of Brick City Cafe.

IMG_2004.jpg

Space available at corner of Edison and Broad.

IMG_2014.jpg

Championship Plaza

IMG_2053.jpg

Outline of Devils logo

IMG_2057.jpg

Hole where Prudential "rock" will go

IMG_2059.jpg

Hole where Statue will go

IMG_2071.jpg

Fallout Shelter sign on 45 Edison

IMG_2082.jpg

Where PNC Bank is going (Note Devils Den on left)

IMG_2086.jpg

Edited by The Rock 07

Here's the solution to the annoying video board on the front of the arena.

MediaMesh

They wanted the video board like that because they wanted light to come in and to be able to see outside.

That thing is one of the biggest waste of money ever. If it was one giant screen it wouldn't block any light anyway. On the main concourse it doesn't even start till about 15' over your head and its all glass lower and all around it. So way more than enough light would come in. On the top concourse, you cant even see it because its blocked by the food stands, so no light coming in to block anyway. So having it separated does nothing. Forget the fact that you cant read anything when it covers every piece. Plus 90% of all events happen at night anyway, so whats the difference. Its a waste. But you I hear you can see a thumbnail size of bright light from manhattan, so its got that going for it

That thing is one of the biggest waste of money ever. If it was one giant screen it wouldn't block any light anyway. On the main concourse it doesn't even start till about 15' over your head and its all glass lower and all around it. So way more than enough light would come in. On the top concourse, you cant even see it because its blocked by the food stands, so no light coming in to block anyway. So having it separated does nothing. Forget the fact that you cant read anything when it covers every piece. Plus 90% of all events happen at night anyway, so whats the difference. Its a waste. But you I hear you can see a thumbnail size of bright light from manhattan, so its got that going for it

it's perfectly watchable from the Turnpike, not that I suggest this if you're driving. I think it accomplishes its' purpose.

I think that just depends on wether AEG is retained to run the arena or a different company. Who know's if there is a better taste after the divorce heading up them constructing the stadium.

I'm not sure I follow you. Can you expound on that?