The Official Trade Brian Gionta thread

Triumph

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can't say I'm entirely with the masses in this thread about getting rid of Gionta, it's something to consider. It all depends on what is coming in return. While it's true that he is highly unlikely to ever duplicate that amazing season he had, he is a good team guy and buys into the system. Not saying he doesn't have his weaknesses/drawbacks though. I don't think he's a top line scorer on many other teams in the league.

However, his stock will likely never be higher and is dropping yearly. If the Devils can get quality in return that can help in the areas where we're lacking, then so be it. He's easily one of the best trade options the Devils have right now. I'd love to see a deal with Buffalo and Campbell worked out with Brian involved going over to Buffalo, but I can't see that happening and I highly doubt that they'd take a risk on someone like Havlat, although both deals of that caliber would have be examined. Havlat, although fragile, could be devastating on a line with Elias. It worked with Mogilny his first go around. He wasn't exactly a harbinger of health when he came over the first time.

My heart says no, but the brain says it has to be considered. It's probably now or never considering Gionta.

Of course Gionta has few giveaways - it's hard to give the puck away when once you get it in the offensive zone, you shoot it.

Except he has LESS total shots then Elias, or Parise who have MORE giveaways. Where is your official trade Elias or Parise thread? Go ahead lets hear the bs excuse "oh their shots hit the net more often and Gio's don't" or some other intangible argument so you can try and save face.

Except he has LESS total shots then Elias, or Parise who have MORE giveaways. Where is your official trade Elias or Parise thread? Go ahead lets hear the bs excuse "oh their shots hit the net more often and Gio's don't" or some other intangible argument so you can try and save face.

Considering the absolute contortion of logic here, I shouldn't even bother responding - especially since my previous post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I never said there was an absolute correlation between shots on goal and giveaways. That's absurd. My point was simply that Gionta is unlikely to turn the puck over as much because he doesn't pass the puck as much - as simple as that. His first instinct is always to try to get the puck on the net, and to take it to the net when he gets it in the neutral zone.

And giveaways is one of the worst stats in the NHL.

Sounds good but trade Oduya and keep Greene. Too bad Lou don't see this trade. :P Would love to have Campbell.

Well, here's the scary thing about Oduya: he's 2-4-16 and +14. I was a big detractor until it occurred to me that he may be a future effective puck carrier type.

Anyway, just some more food for thought, mobsters.

Oh, and what's wrong with a trade-this-guy or trade-that-guy thread? This is a sports team discussion forum, what the heck are we supposed to talk about?

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

Considering the absolute contortion of logic here, I shouldn't even bother responding - especially since my previous post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I never said there was an absolute correlation between shots on goal and giveaways. That's absurd. My point was simply that Gionta is unlikely to turn the puck over as much because he doesn't pass the puck as much - as simple as that. His first instinct is always to try to get the puck on the net, and to take it to the net when he gets it in the neutral zone.

And giveaways is one of the worst stats in the NHL.

You could actually argue Gionta's lack of giveaways also represents the fact he isn't getting open for passes and isn't winning pucks in corners so Gionta doesn't have the puck often enough to turn it over. I'm not saying that is the whole story but I think it factors in.

I think we've seen Gionta turn the corner though 3 of the last 4 games and he is coming out of his slump.

One thing that bothers me about him is the fact that he doesn't use his speed to his advantage enough. Like that mini breakaway he had against the Sabres he just shot it when he could have skated a few more strides and deked and maybe draw a penalty .

I'd like to see you do better on the ice. Everybody is a critic in the stands or watching from home, on the ice it's just so different. What if i don't like the way you are cheering for us on the ice, can i propose i trade you for 2 Islander fans and a bag of pucks ;)

I'd like to see you do better on the ice. Everybody is a critic in the stands or watching from home, on the ice it's just so different. What if i don't like the way you are cheering for us on the ice, can i propose i trade you for 2 Islander fans and a bag of pucks ;)

Hack bit, come up with something original :D

Thanks for posting the stats. This only further reinforces the thought here. Stats don't lie, we need to dump this lazy SOB quick. He doesn't block any shots or register enough hits. I'll give him a pass on the faceoffs since he's a winger, but he'd also better start dropping the gloves and racking up some penalty minutes soon too. No sense keeping a loser who only shows up on MOST of leader boards for this team. If he can't get on ALL of them, then dump his a$$ to toronto.

I was just thinking about all of the trade Elias threads I used to read. I guess its a good thing we don't discrimate on trading key parts of our team. :boogie:

I am about to give up on this because I am weak and tired and a wimp, and I've come to grips with that.

But here's my last stab at justifying why we shouldn't trade Gionta. No I'm not going to bring up the shootout chance he missed, nor am I going to say "I saw him make a bad bass sometime in December."

I have 7 reasons why:

KeepGio.jpg

If that doesn't satisfy all of you, how about the fact that he has fewer give-aways than Patrik Elias, John Madden, and Zach Parise?

Even if Elias catches fire for the second half - which by the way we've started - you may want to let him know - it doesn't change the stats that Gio has accumlated and he will still remain as one of the team's top 5 players.

Hey, can I start "The Official Keep Brain Gionat thread" ? :evil:

The whole thread makes me sad because I really like Brian Gionta and knew he would become a goal-scorer in this league back in 2004. But I also knew Gionta would struggle with Gomez moving on. Someone here (SatansDevils?) had pointed out that Rafalski being gone hurts, too, and I agree. He is a less effective player than he used to be. :(

If he's on the trade block and I had a playmaking center, I'd be on the phone with Lou .... fast. Not that he'd ever end up there, but Gionta would make the Rangers a MUCH better team.

If he's on the trade block and I had a playmaking center, I'd be on the phone with Lou .... fast. Not that he'd ever end up there, but Gionta would make the Rangers a MUCH better team.

Don't be so sure about that. He is unrestricted after next season, and is good friends with Gomer. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go there. And I don't know if I'd blame him if he thinks it would get his career back to that 2005-06 level.

One thing that bothers me about him is the fact that he doesn't use his speed to his advantage enough. Like that mini breakaway he had against the Sabres he just shot it when he could have skated a few more strides and deked and maybe draw a penalty .

Thanks for posting the stats. This only further reinforces the thought here. Stats don't lie, we need to dump this lazy SOB quick. He doesn't block any shots or register enough hits. I'll give him a pass on the faceoffs since he's a winger, but he'd also better start dropping the gloves and racking up some penalty minutes soon too. No sense keeping a loser who only shows up on MOST of leader boards for this team. If he can't get on ALL of them, then dump his a$$ to toronto.

I'm hoping there was some humor in that post, because it made me seriously laugh. Not in a mean way or anything, but the though of Gio at 5' 7" dropping the gloves is just a funny mental image.

I wouldn't consider Gio as the Devils whipping boy like Gomer was, would you? I personally think Gomez decided to leave because he was tired of the coach ragging on him all the time. I thinkwe're fortunate to have a coach who rags on everyone all the time! :evil: