The Official Trade Brian Gionta thread

Triumph

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah for the LIFE of me I can't imagine why players would COMMUNICATE on the ice

for all the money they make you'd think they have psychic implants or something cool like that :P

That's not true. I played sports through high school, and intramural college. I know how it works. But they had to REALLY REALLY HOLLER to get Gio's attention, and I'm glad they did, because as Triumph keeps harping on, Gio just fvcking shoots in those situations 99% of the time.

I still play sports. I'm hoping to join the adult league at the Ice House.

Edited by Cowutopia

So does anyone have any serious ideas for trade offers involving Gionta? I wanted the Devils to look into getting J.P. Dumont earlier this season but he just signed a long term deal to stay in Nashville at a reasonable 4 mill and will probably not be moved.

Gionta has one more year after this one at 4 mill, a reasonable price for a team that can pay it

a good site for contracts:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com

neat (maybe unrealistic) possibilities:

Marleau, Cheechoo - Will probably require more than just Gionta. Cheech's contract is excellent, Marleau's might sting

Hossa - Gionta, some draft picks/prospects for a half year of Hossa. If we could find a way to resign him would be genius.

St. Louis - Basically Brian Gionta but better, would cost another 1.25 million for a while to pay him.

Erik Cole - Same exact contract, both are having mediocre years. Canes probably wouldnt bother unless he falls out of favor, or are worried about him breaking his neck.

Bertuzzi - same contract, mediocre numbers.

Reality:

Gionta doesn't have much value and its not like we can just trade him for a BETTER player at the same exact position. We're either gonna have to trade for a rental/unenticing contract, some prospects, or Dmen from Vancouver.

the fourth period claims boston wants to trade phil kessel for a D-man or top six forward. I dont know why they would, but lets say for sake of discussion they do.

Gionta for Kessel straight up.

Kessel age 20 signed this year and next then RFA at cap hit of 2.2mil per

Season GP G A P +/-

2007-2008 53 14 13 27 -7

Gio age 28 signed this year and next at 4mil per

Season GP G A P +/-

2007-2008 54 13 22 35 2

obviously trading proven for potential, but if gio has hit his ceiling as many here are proclaiming, then a risk on kessel who may turn out better could be worth it.

btw, I'm not saying we should trade gio, but just entertaining myself with this kind of discussion.

the fourth period claims boston wants to trade phil kessel for a D-man or top six forward. I dont know why they would, but lets say for sake of discussion they do.

Gionta for Kessel straight up.

Kessel age 20 signed this year and next then RFA at cap hit of 2.2mil per

Season GP G A P +/-

2007-2008 53 14 13 27 -7

Gio age 28 signed this year and next at 4mil per

Season GP G A P +/-

2007-2008 54 13 22 35 2

obviously trading proven for potential, but if gio has hit his ceiling as many here are proclaiming, then a risk on kessel who may turn out better could be worth it.

btw, I'm not saying we should trade gio, but just entertaining myself with this kind of discussion.

yeah kessel and gio are both kind of the same player, with kessel being less developed but having more potential (being so young and highly touted). I think kessel entered the NHL before he was ready, and is still stuggling a little, but he'll grow into it. I think BOS needed to put him in the minors or keep him in NCAA longer.

yeah kessel and gio are both kind of the same player, with kessel being less developed but having more potential (being so young and highly touted). I think kessel entered the NHL before he was ready, and is still stuggling a little, but he'll grow into it. I think BOS needed to put him in the minors or keep him in NCAA longer.

i don't think there is any doubt that st. louis is a better player than gionta. while they are similar in both size and style, st. louis is faster and has a much better shot - he can create his own offense (something gionta apparently cannot anymore).

the difference in salary might actually be enough for TB to make the move as gionta would play well enough with vinny that the drop off would not be that great for them. but i'm not sure that i want another $5.25M of the Devils cap to go to a forward like St. Louis.

as it stands, i think lou has to try and bowl over campbell (no pun intended) with a 5/30 type deal to anchor the defense for the next 3-5 years so doing that with an expensive st. louis also on the ledger might be tough.

of anything unrestricted in the next couple of years, who would you want more?

i wanted to quote myself for emphasis here - i just looked at all UFA's for the next two years on defense. this is the list of even "worth a look" UFA's on defense:

JM Liles

Wade Redden

Jaroslav Spacek

Jason Smith

Rob Blake

Brad Stuart

Dan Boyle

Barrett Jackman

Andreas Lilja

Mat Schneider

Brian Campbell

assuming that the devils need to change out the defensemen for the better over the rest of brodeur's contract in order to have a real chance at the Cup, I'd say that Corrente needs to pan out and at least one UFA dman needs to be brought in along with a trade likely. of this list above, campbell is far and away my man. i'd think about boyle as well but he is a total zero in the defensive zone.