Sutter's Effectiveness

TomsRiverDevil

I blame.... LOU! Its been the same argument for years, this team has no leader, no locker room presence... the only thing that changes is the coaches name. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't the coaches, its the players that our GM has assembled.

Yes some of this blame is Lou! He knows what this team has needed for years and STILL he has not gone out to get a veteran defenseman and an elite centerman that scores most of the time. Until the changes happen this Devils team will most likely to continue to lose in the second round of the playoffs and possibly this season in the first round. Tired of seeing the coaches change here. Sutter is just fine so far.

So what we're saying is that Lou has to spend more time in the workshop assembling robot players? No GM is going to be able to come up with hall of fame or star players over a 15 year period. This is one of the lesser periods and the team is still very good. To get on Lou for not making every season an amazing season is unrealistic.

Yes some of this blame is Lou! He knows what this team has needed for years and STILL he has not gone out to get a veteran defenseman and an elite centerman that scores most of the time.

Thats hard to do with a salary cap, especially when you consider the free agent contracts of a "veteran defenseman" or an "elite centerman that scores most the time."

Unless of course you want to spend crazy amounts of money on top end talent, for instance retaining Rafalski and Gomez. Completely crippling your fiscal ability to improve other parts of the team, and essentially becoming a one line team, ala Tampa Bay.

Edited by Eltab213

I guess what I am getting at is would a different coach be able to get more out the team, for whatever reason?

No. I blame the inexperience and insufficient veteran presence.

Thats not to say we should go acquire a bunch of vets - because I dont think this is the year; but we wont be a real contender until we do. Sutters doing fine, I just hope the Devils don't start cutting corners.

I don't know if I'm just too young or stupid, or if my personal bias plays any part in this post at all, but it always seemed to me that Scott Stevens became "Scott Stevens" here in NJ. Bobby Holik became "Bobby Holik" in NJ. Ken Daneyko, Scott Gomez, Randy McKay, Brian Rafalski, Petr Sykora all became "Ken Danyeko," "Scott Gomez," "Randy McKay," "Brian Rafalski," "Petr Sykora" in NJ.

These guys became great playing for NJ, and then we lose them. Personally I don't think this is nothing new to the organization. I think it's been going on since at least 1995, but its more noticable now in the "New" NHL.

By the way, does anybody have a different way of saying the "New" NHL? That phrase is starting to make angry.

And you wouldn't like me when I'm - angry :rolleyes:

Thats hard to do with a salary cap, especially when you consider the free agent contracts of a "veteran defenseman" or an "elite centerman that scores most the time."

Unless of course you want to spend crazy amounts of money on top end talent, for instance retaining Rafalski and Gomez. Completely crippling your fiscal ability to improve other parts of the team, and essentially becoming a one line team, ala Tampa Bay.

I think Sutter is fine as do most who have posted. With the (perceived?) drain of talent since the last cup the fact that we are number 2 in the East and headed for the playoffs again is pretty amazing. I see Zach emerging as the leader that everyone wants--we just need some other pieces to help him.