Niedermayer to Have His Number Retired Eventually

thefiestygoat

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?....xml&coll=1

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello confirmed the obvious when he told The Star-Ledger that Niedermayer's No. 27 would some day be retired to the rafters at the Rock alongside No. 4 (Scott Stevens), No. 3 (Ken Daneyko) and, eventually, No. 30 (Martin Brodeur).
Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was it 'obvious' when Lou currently HAS a starting defenseman wearing #27 :blink:

I'm not sure how long Lou will be around if it's a decent amount of time after Nieds (and Marty) retire. It's classy of him to say something now to head off the booing though, probably more classy than he needed to be :lol:

But it does prove HE doesn't think Nieds is half the stuff he's been called here.

Exactly. Depending on whether we win more Cups in the next little while, I'd sasy eventually #26 will most likely join them, before #27 too...especially with another Cup...but if 26 stays for his contract, it'd be hard not to and he'd be the franchisee leadder in every forward category.

I always felt it would be retired, but by some GM after Lou quits.

And that may still yet happen.

"Sure, without question," Lamoriello said, "at the appropriate time because of what he brought to the organization while he was here. He represented this organization with the highest ability and class you can ask of anyone."

I hope some unexpectedly amazing dude gets #27 so it's REALLY awkward to retire it as Niedermayer's. :evil:

Honestly to me this means they hope Niedermayer returns in some capacity - it feels like a carrot -- if not for Niedermayer then the fans. I think he was a great player, but i wouldn't retire his number. It's stupid. You retire a guy like Dano -- then a guy like Nieds? All after NOT retiring so many influential guys?

Well luckily I'm a dog... these things aren't supposed to make sense to me.

Niedermayer made me feel like he was an indentured servant. Retiring his number is like saying you were indeed the wicked step mother taking advantage of his Cinderella :puke:

Edited by Darwindog

I'm really happy to hear this, it still pains me to see a guy w/ the name " Mottau" skating around in #27.

Neids was and still is the most talented skater to play for NJ... its too bad he will not finish his career in Nj...

I will be there when they raise his Number...

Not shocked at all here that Niedermayer will have his #27 retired by the Devils. He had 13 great seasons with the Devils, has 3 Stanley Cups, a Norris Trophy, Devils #1 pick in 1991 and one of the best defenseman ever to play for the Devils besides Stevens and Daneyko.

Some here and to some Devils fans they need to put their bitterness aside and wake up and realize how much Niedermayer meant to the Devils for 13 seasons. No reason to be bitter or hate the guy now because he chose to play with his brother and be closer to his family out West. It is more shocking to see the disrespect by Devils fans here bashing him, his brother and his mother. Niedermayer maybe a Anaheim Duck but in his heart he is a New Jersey Devils and will always be with most of the respectful Devils fans. Niedermayer deserves a very loud cheer tonight and he will get it.

I really don't understand all the Neidermayer hate. Yeah, he left under bad circumstances, but its pro sports. That stuff has a way of disappearing when compared to what he brought to the team.

Please tell me, if in 2013 when Marty's contract runs out, and he hypothetically decides to play a year or 2 on another team, does that somehow erase his legacy?

Johnny Mac signed with the Rangers. How come we don't hate him?

So Neids took his time making a difficult decision. Maybe it wasn't the most diplomatic way to handle the situation, but its not his fault Lou put all his eggs into one basket, either.