Do you think the Devils are good enough to win the ECF?

devilsrule33

Are They?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• Yes
    • No

Can this team win the East? Sure. But they're incredibly unlikely to do so. I mean, just getting in the playoffs is enough - who would've predicted Carolina in 02, or Washington in 98, making it to the Finals?

It's tough to write about this team given the slump they are in. Such a slump was inevitable - this team isn't that good. They're not that bad either. They're an average team with an excellent goaltender and a weak defense.

As for Dainius Zubrus - he hasn't been playing that well lately. The points will start to come for him, whether it's this year or next. With both Zubrus and Clarkson I feel more confident about our forecheck - even if neither guy has been able to finish on anywhere near a consistent basis this season.

I'd like for Sutter to put Janssen in - the team lacks energy in the first period and he's got energy incarnate sitting in the press box. I don't care if it takes waiving Sheldon Brookbank - get him in the lineup.

Yea as much as I don't really love Cam's 3 minutes a night, it seems those 3 minutes can be an extra boost at this time of year. The thing is, I liked the way Pelley was playing, Rupp (uch im saying this) has been playing well too, and Brylin is always doing the little things. Asham I couldn't care less about, but to put in Cam, who comes out?

Yea as much as I don't really love Cam's 3 minutes a night, it seems those 3 minutes can be an extra boost at this time of year. The thing is, I liked the way Pelley was playing, Rupp (uch im saying this) has been playing well too, and Brylin is always doing the little things. Asham I couldn't care less about, but to put in Cam, who comes out?

Rupp, Pelley, or Asham could sit. I realize Rupp-Asham-Brylin had an excellent game last night, so perhaps the Carolina game isn't the time for Janssen, but against Ottawa I think Cam's got to be in there, especially if New Jersey comes out flat tonight.

There are plenty of teams with around the same record as us, all bunched together (Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.) the outcome of who makes it to the Finals will be determined on matchups and whoever can play better down the stretch. The Devils and about 4 or 5 other teams have the exact same chance of getting in, IMO.

I still think it is all up to Marty. The defense isn't going to change and the offense just won't come. Marty has to take it to another level but I'm not so sure it can happen. I mean he usually plays well but he's good for a bad goal almost every other night.

The East is so bad though. Realistically we could finish 6 and play a southeast dud team and then hit Montreal in the second round.

I've no doubt they'll make the playoffs, but if we can't show we can beat the rangers or the islanders at least twice in the regular season...

And this trend lately of letting the other team score twice before we wake up is obviously disturbing. For quite a while the Devs had that 1st period drought. But at least they weren't falling behind like this and waiting until the 2nd half of the game to wake up. But it's just that - a trend. It'll stop, but not before it's caused damage in the standings for them.

So win the east? No. I'm guessing 3rd or 4th this year.

I answered "no", but I was answering the wrong question, apparently. I don't think the Devs can win the east in the regular season. I think winning the division would require a good amount of luck. That said, if they make the playoffs (far from guaranteed this year), then anything can happen in the playoffs.

- Jeff

I don't think so. Ottawa is not healthy right now but when they are they are clearly the class of the East. And as much as I don't want to admit it, Pitt has a decent team. I really expected them to fall behind the 8 ball without Sid but they just keep winning. To me, these are the two teams that have the best chance to do it. And then there is everybody else.

As currently constructed, the Devils are an average team, if that wasn't already obvious. With that being said however, they can play with the teams in the east and I wouldn't be shocked if they knocked off 1 or 2 teams come April. But to expect more then that, or think they are capable of more then that would just be a pipe dream imo. They have trouble scoring and our defense is not anything to write home about.

This will be a cool thread to revisit after the trade deadline. It doesn't look likely but if Lou could swindle some players for us, you never know what can happen. There are some good pieces here, you know, the makings of a good team. It's still a work in progress though. Make it happen Lou :koolaid:

Edited by SickMan

The East?...well, with this lineup , I'm just hoping we will be lucky enought to still make the playoffs....

I agree with this. With the inconsistency in goal scoring, the current defense and their recent lack of success at home....let's just make the playoffs at this point.

I just realized their could be major problem with the question. The question I am asking is Do you think the Devils win the East...as in can they represent the East in the Finals and not can they finish first in the East. Damn, this could change a lot of people's answers. I should have been more clear in the question but I think if anyone read my opinion, it would be clear what I was asking.

I really couldn't care less if they finished first or not.

Edited by devilsrule33

With the current roster - no. It would take extreme doses of luck to make it to the Finals, especially that we would probably meet Ottawa on our way, or maybe Montreal, which has become a very good team (despite their last two losses), or even the Rangers, who we suck against.

But if Lou brings a quality D-man and a 1st line center, it may be a different story. The question is, will he do it at the deadline, or rather wait til the free agency.