White leaves with "upper body soreness"

devils26

Is there some rule in the NHL about ripping your opponents helmet off while you are fighting? I don't understand why that would not be the first thing any smart fighter would do. Every time I see someone land a punch to the helmet, I cringe. BTW. Rupp must have landed 10 punches into the guys helmet the day he got his finger messed up. Thats why I love Cam, btw, he was always happy to put his helmet in the way of an opponents fist. It was quite hilarious to watch...

Sometimes players take off their helmets themselves when they fight, but trying to rip off an opponents helmet would mean that you have to use your hand to take it off which means that you have one less hand to punch with or hold the other guys jersey with so he'll probably beat the sh!t out of you while you're tying to take his helmet off.

Exactly. Depends on the player. I remember watching Rich Pilon, who wore a visor, fight with the Isles. Before every fight, he'd take his helmet off and lay it on the ice. Very classy move, if you ask me. Most visor-less guys will keep their helmet on in a fight, which just lends to strategy. Domi used to have a good move where he'd intentionally miss the first punch, and rip the dude's helmet off in one quick motion as he's bringing his fist back to his body.
Edited by squishyx

People who think hockey fighters are mindless goons need to catch wind of this kind of stuff. There's a code to it, and it's good to see it still gets abided by. Classy move on Wade's part.

Coincidentally, I recently purchased a book called The Code thats all about this. Haven't started it yet, but should be very interesting.

By the way, anyone see that fight a few weeks back where the guys threw down their gloves and helmets and circled each other, and one guy warned the other guy to look out because he was about totrip over a stick while they were squaring off? Thought it was a good example that these guys are just doing their job and for the most part, don't wish harm on each other.

I can't seem to find it on Youtube right now, but there was a video of a guy asking Laraque, who was mic'd for the game, to fight him. Laraque says, 'next faceoff,' and then right before it he says 'good luck'.

i'm surprised to hear about wade doing that because i though he was wrong going after rupp since it looked like mike was dazed from the check and not really able to defend himself regardless. good to hear that wade did that.

i remember watching a devils-maple leafs game years ago. it may have been a playoff game. there was a scrum going on and pando grabbed domi and domi turned around and had his arm cocked and ready to go. then he realized it was jay, who was at this point just covering up, and domi looked at the ref and kinda told him to come over and break it up. even though i never liked domi i always thought that was a class move considering this was the guy who ended beukebooms career.

also remember a story about how oliwa was like one fight away from breaking some devils record in either fights or penalty minutes. he fought stu grimson and at the end of the scrap stu patted him on the back and congratulated him.

i'm surprised to hear about wade doing that because i though he was wrong going after rupp since it looked like mike was dazed from the check and not really able to defend himself regardless. good to hear that wade did that.

i remember watching a devils-maple leafs game years ago. it may have been a playoff game. there was a scrum going on and pando grabbed domi and domi turned around and had his arm cocked and ready to go. then he realized it was jay, who was at this point just covering up, and domi looked at the ref and kinda told him to come over and break it up. even though i never liked domi i always thought that was a class move considering this was the guy who ended beukebooms career.

also remember a story about how oliwa was like one fight away from breaking some devils record in either fights or penalty minutes. he fought stu grimson and at the end of the scrap stu patted him on the back and congratulated him.

Another good story is in Marty's book, when he describes being the backup to Terreri during the huge bench clearing brawl with the Rangers in the 1992 Playoffs. Terreri and Beezer (Ranger backup) were just standing on the ice during the brawl, Richter had left the ice, and Terreri told Marty he had to go help out in the fight.

Marty skated over and grabbed Joey Kocur's (of all people) jersey. Kocur turned to him and said very calmly, 'Let go.' Marty listened.

Here's the video... about a minute in, you can hear the announcer (Doc?) mention Kocur and Marty side by side. Devils Ranger Game 6 1992 Brawl.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Sometimes players take off their helmets themselves when they fight, but trying to rip off an opponents helmet would mean that you have to use your hand to take it off which means that you have one less hand to punch with or hold the other guys jersey with so he'll probably beat the sh!t out of you while you're tying to take his helmet off.