Now that it's all said and done...are you disappointed?

Are you disappointed?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Are you disappointed with the outcome of today?

• Yes -- Salvador is not the answer.
    • No -- team is fine the way it is
    • Eh -- I don't really care

I don't see why people are complaining. We got rid of a guy who didn't help us get to first place one bit, not a single game. In return we gained an experienced stay at home defenseman who is a plus 12 on crappy team, we got him without losing a draft pick. The same people complaining about this are the same people who complain about our D sucking and not having enough experience. Well now we have a veteran and just because his name isn't Campbell and he hasn't been to an all star game and he isn't on your NHL 08 dynasty team doesn't mean he is going to suck, so just shut up enjoy being in first place and watch the game.

Edited by Devs4LIFE
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying if you aren't first in the conference you aren't a contender? They haven't been in first for that long but they've been up near the top for a while.

If the first place team isn't a contender then who is?

A team whose sole destiny isn't tied to a superhuman performance of their goalie each night.

2cnd round exit would be overachieving...sorry.

+/- can be deceptive. Just look who he went for. Cam Janssen.

When you go for Janssen, you're not worth much.

Extenuating circumstances. Janssen's a hometown boy in St. Louis - a team that's never had a city native play for them, much less be a super-likable player. It's one thing to have Jim Dowd around - but Janssen's a guy whom the fans love.

My guess is Salvador was worth about a 4th.

+/- can be deceptive. Just look who he went for. Cam Janssen.

When you go for Janssen, you're not worth much.

Yes it can be deceptive and consider this trade for Salvador a PLUS considering Janssen did nothing for the Devils and this season. Nothing really to lose and the teams chemistry is still there unlike the Penguins.

I don't see why people are complaining. We got rid of a guy who didn't help us get to first place one bit, not a single game. In return we gained an experienced stay at home defenseman who is a plus 12 on crappy team, we got him without losing a draft pick. The same people complaining about this are the same people who complain about our D sucking and not having enough experience. Well now we have a veteran and just because his name isn't Campbell and he hasn't been to an all star game and he isn't on your NHL 08 dynasty team doesn't mean he is going to suck, so just shut up enjoy being in first place and watch the game.

scoring help?

I agree. It's the same thing every year. Everybody expects some huge monster acquisitions every deadline and free agency period. Then it doesn't happen, everyone goes oh now we will struggle to make the playoffs blah blah blah and then we end up winning the division at the very least.

Let's face it: when it comes to making deals, Lou almost always does so on his terms. Clearly he didn't see something that he thought was going to appreciably improve his team at the right price, so he didn't do anything significant.

What was really out there that was going to make such a big difference anyway on this team? I didn't think Lou was going to be a player for Hossa, and I'm glad he wasn't...that guy was front-and-center of many of Ottawa's early-round exits, and he's not known for lighting it up in the playoffs. No interest in Havlat either...or the vastly overpaid Richards. Campbell would've been nice, but the Devils didn't really have the chips to make that happen. I wasn't into seeing Lang and his $4 million for next season coming here.

Besides, the Devils have tried the blockbuster deal before with Gilmour. It makes for some initial excitement and banter, but we've all seen plenty of big deadline deals that don't pan out. So I'm fine with Lou not doing a hell of a lot...and if anything, Lou's going to have a hell of a lot of flexiblity with that D-corp.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
A team whose sole destiny isn't tied to a superhuman performance of their goalie each night.

As opposed to other teams in the conference that need superhuman offensive shows from their first line to win each night?

You really are negative, if you don't think the Devils are the favorite that's one thing but to say they have NO chance at all when they're in first in the conference 3/4 of the way through the season is ridiculous.

Edited by Hasan4978
As opposed to other teams in the conference that need superhuman offensive shows from their first line to win each night?

You really are negative, if you don't think the Devils are the favorite that's one thing but to say they have NO chance at all when they're in first in the conference 3/4 of the way through the season is ridiculous.

I'm not meaning to come off that negative.

I just hate to see a lot of people interpreting deceptive results from the recent wins.

In addition to hard work - we've had a lot of luck with health and other teams IR.

I'm not saying that they have NO chance at all. What I am saying is that we are better off setting our expectations lower an dbeing pleasantly surprised than the opposite. Everyone thought that this year would be scrapped as a rebuilding year and look at our overperformance.

I just get a little frustrated with those that just see the points scheme, and don't take into account how the actual game was played, and start predicting and proclaiming greatness based upon that. IHaving said that -- 'd love to see them go all the way.

I agree with the first part, not so much with the second part. Depending on how the matchups play out, a first- or second-round exit is right about where I've expected them to end up all along this year. This Salvador acquisition kinda makes me think they might surprise us, but I'm not going to sit here and count on that.

If you look at most of the moves made today, teams had to give up a fair amount in order to get their rentals. Our organization isn't very deep right now, so Lou did the right thing. Not only did he get a servicable defenseman for a guy who hasn't played a game for us all season, but he sent Cam home, which is a classy move on Lou's part. We didn't sacrifice the team's future for a run at the Cup, which, really, rarely end up working anyway. For every Doug Weight to Carolina, there are dozens of Ryan Smyth to Long Island and Todd Bertuzzi to Detroit kind of deals that just don't work.

I'm glad Lou stuck to his guns. I'm sure he had other deals on the table where he was unwilling to give up too much without getting enough in return. The fact of the matter is that we're a first place team and we still have all the players that made us a first place team. We'll also have a good chunk of cap room this offseason when all of these rentals hit the market (and we won't have to give up any of our players, picks, or prospects to get them). Not to mention the fact that we still have all of our draft picks.

Did we get better today? Personally, I'll take Salvadore over Brookbank and I'll take just about anyone with a pulse over Rachunek, so while the jury is still out for a final verdict, I'd say we made a minor improvement. But we did not get worse, we didn't sacrifice the future for a rental, and we've left ourselves in a VERY good position to improve during the offseason.

I agree. I think it's crazy how seemingly nobody on this site thinks the Devils have a chance at the Cup, regardless of the fact that they are 1st in the Eastern Conference and 3rd in the whole league.

The Devs are built well to play a season, where you meet different teams. I still worry that this team is NOT built for a seven game series VS one team .

I'm glad nothing drastic was done. Can this team win the cup this year...who knows, they are a good core team that will not make things easy for any team they face.

But to make a deal to win this year is not worth ruining that fact that this team can be a contender for the next 3-4 seasons after this one.

I still think the Devils will win another cup within the next 3 seasons.

I agree with the first part, not so much with the second part. Depending on how the matchups play out, a first- or second-round exit is right about where I've expected them to end up all along this year. This Salvador acquisition kinda makes me think they might surprise us, but I'm not going to sit here and count on that.

This years Devils could be the SC Champions Carolina and TB of their years. Some of the negativity here is ridiculious. You just never know. As long as Brodeur is on playing his game the Devils have a good chance to win as anyone else in the NHL.

If you look at most of the moves made today, teams had to give up a fair amount in order to get their rentals. Our organization isn't very deep right now, so Lou did the right thing. Not only did he get a servicable defenseman for a guy who hasn't played a game for us all season, but he sent Cam home, which is a classy move on Lou's part. We didn't sacrifice the team's future for a run at the Cup, which, really, rarely end up working anyway. For every Doug Weight to Carolina, there are dozens of Ryan Smyth to Long Island and Todd Bertuzzi to Detroit kind of deals that just don't work.

I'm glad Lou stuck to his guns. I'm sure he had other deals on the table where he was unwilling to give up too much without getting enough in return. The fact of the matter is that we're a first place team and we still have all the players that made us a first place team. We'll also have a good chunk of cap room this offseason when all of these rentals hit the market (and we won't have to give up any of our players, picks, or prospects to get them). Not to mention the fact that we still have all of our draft picks.

Did we get better today? Personally, I'll take Salvadore over Brookbank and I'll take just about anyone with a pulse over Rachunek, so while the jury is still out for a final verdict, I'd say we made a minor improvement. But we did not get worse, we didn't sacrifice the future for a rental, and we've left ourselves in a VERY good position to improve during the offseason.

Agreed.

It all about chemistry too. Look how bad Ottawa has been as of late with that recent trade. Pittsburgh has no chemistry now. The Devils still have their chemistry plus one more defenseman that will help them. The same chemistry the Devils are 7-0-1 in their last 8 games and 30-11-2 in thir last 43 games. :koolaid:

Agreed.

It all about chemistry too. Look how bad Ottawa has been as of late with that recent trade. Pittsburgh has no chemistry now. The Devils still have their chemistry plus one more defenseman that will help them. The same chemistry the Devils are 7-0-1 in their last 8 games and 30-11-2 in thir last 43 games. :koolaid:

How can you state so absolutely that "Pittsburg has no chemistry now"...when you haven't even seen these guys play together yet? Much less with a healthy Crosby? :blink:

Are you psychic like the Great Karnac or Lady Cleo ?

Edited by DevilinLA

Thats what I've been thinking.. people want too much done at the TDL.. Lou was smart to not go after a rental and save ALL of the cash for the offseason. If you guys want a big day just wait for July 1st.

How can you state so absolutely the "Pittsburg has no chemistry now"...when you haven't even seen these guys play together yet? Much less with a healthy Crosby? :blink:

Are you psychic like the Great Karnac or Lady Cleo ?

Just like you being negative on the Devils here.

Not psychic at all. At least I am positive about the Devils.

Its called an OPINION DevilsLA. :doh1: I am sure you know that.

Anyway I am not the only one here who thinks the chemistry is broken now in Pittsburgh. It also has been said on the NHL Network and heard it on XM radio when I was out earlier.

You lose three players that play almost EVERY game and you pick up three new players you are telling me the chemistry is still there or there is chemistry? NO. Comon sense here.

Well if their goalie can get them to the top of the conference, on what basis are you making your claim that he will not help the team win more than one playoff series?

I'm not meaning to come off that negative.

I just hate to see a lot of people interpreting deceptive results from the recent wins.

In addition to hard work - we've had a lot of luck with health and other teams IR.

I'm not saying that they have NO chance at all. What I am saying is that we are better off setting our expectations lower an dbeing pleasantly surprised than the opposite. Everyone thought that this year would be scrapped as a rebuilding year and look at our overperformance.

I just get a little frustrated with those that just see the points scheme, and don't take into account how the actual game was played, and start predicting and proclaiming greatness based upon that. IHaving said that -- 'd love to see them go all the way.

Well standings are based on the entire season, not just "recent wins."

Just like you being negative on the Devils here.

Not psychic at all. At least I am positive about the Devils.

Its called an OPINION DevilsLA. :doh1: I am sure you know that.

Anyway I am not the only one here who thinks the chemistry is broken now in Pittsburgh. It also has been said on the NHL Network and heard it on XM radio when I was out earlier.

You lose three players that play almost EVERY game and you pick up three new players you are telling me the chemistry is still there or there is chemistry? NO. Comon sense here.

Well if their goalie can get them to the top of the conference, on what basis are you making your claim that he will not help the team win more than one playoff series?

Guys, I respect your opinions, for one post can we not speak in ABSOLUTES????

1.) Can we at least be somewhat fair and give PIT a period or two before just blindly following (the same sports broadcasters who tells us that the Devils are done each year) people and pronouncing PIT done with ZERO chemistry?

2.)For the last time, I'm not trying to be negative about our team, or our superhuman goalie. ALL I am saying is lets be a little cautious and not yet plan the ticker-tape Stanley Cup Parade until after we win a round or two. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM SUCCEED and I support them all the way....and I think that they could have a shot with the right luck, continued superior coaching, health, and bounces. But, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon with the rest here, based on a month or three.

Lets be smart and be cautious in our optomism.

We've been healthy, and lucky....lets hope it continues...if so I'll be standing right beside you at the parade. :dance:

Edited by DevilinLA

I don't think anyone's planning a parade and if they are, well this board could use a little dose of blind positivity since there's MORE than enough blind negativity to go around :P

I certainly don't think the Devils are better than the big three out West but they're about on par with anyone in the East and can beat anyone in the conference (inversely, they can lose to most if not all of the playoff teams as well) and when you get to the Finals anything can happen, we'd only have to beat one of the West teams.

Edited by Hasan4978