Simple poll

SC Devs Fan

Is this team good enough?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is this team good enough, as is, to win the Cup?

• Yes
    • No

Simple question... now that we have passed the deadline, is this team as is good enough to win it all? Not asking if you want us to win or if you hope we will, and as we all know we'll have a chance, but do you give the Devils a realistic chance to win it all?

Edited by SC Devs Fan

Any team can do it.. Look at Edmonton/Carolina in 2006.. Anaheim in '03.. all flukey teams. We have the advantage of having a great veteran team behind players and a goalie who have won Cups.

>> Just talking getting to the Finals.

Edited by nmigliore

Yes, this team (and about 20 other teams right now) can win the cup.

I think we're overlooking hwo strong this team has been lately. We've failed to gain points in TWO games in the month of February. TWO GAMES. It might not look pretty every night, and we might see the flaws more obviously because we watch every night, but this team is a very solid team and despite the no-nameness of the defense and the hot-and-coldness of the offense, this team could very well go all the way.

Or at least that's what the :koolaid: tells me.

Yes [ 17 ] [42.50%]

No [ 23 ] [57.50%]

Total Votes: 40

for me-"Not Sure" [ 1 ]

1. - Sometimes this team looks great and sometimes that defense in front of Brodeur is just flat out brutal.

2. - If Sutter can get this team to play consistant and have all the chemistry as they are saying and can score goals in the playoffs they could go far as Brodeur can take them. Brodeur right now is on his game and wasn't his fault tonight vs. Carolina. I just hope Brodeur will continue this play right into the playoffs.

3. - The Devils have to win the division and being the #1 seed in the EC would be a plus for them to play at home.

They could. Do I think they will? That's another story. I just think that the way it's going, we're seeing a lot of teams going on streaks where they look like the best in the league, and almost every team has its weaknesses (see: Detroit). So I think it's going to be one of those years where it's really hard to judge until the playoffs actually start.

Even assuming every team that makes the playoffs has the same chance of winning the cup the Devils would only have a little over 6% chance to win it. So could they win it? Yes. Will they? I don't know. Is every team that makes the playoffs more likely to lose than win the cup by a wide margin? Yes

Wow, dead even at this point.

I think if you asked this question before the deadline the majority would say yes. Yes, the team has soon off nights, but by in large have been playing very well. And we all know what Marty can do. Without Marty, absolutely not, they are too big of over achievers. But as long as he doesnt get too tired, this team is a legitimate contender.

I said NO, but I like the direction they're going in. If they continue to move, they can play with anyone. When they stand still they're horrible. Only thing left is to work on the scramble in front of Marty. If they clear that problem up, we can see a champion. Maybe as soon as next year (or 2). :rolleyes:

Any team has a "chance" to win the Stanley Cup, the more pertinent question, however, is how likely is it? I don't see us as the front runners for the Cup for a few reasons, most of which I am sure have been elaborated by scholars of this board. First and foremost, our offensive line is mediocre and inconsistent. I see games where we play brilliantly but I also see games where I cringe at the complete lack of speed, creativity, and passing abilities that are displayed. It would certainly be a huge boost to our chances if we had another play maker. Defensively we are better, but still leave much to be desired. I think Salvador is a fantastic addition in terms of his size and his ability to clear men away from Brodeur and prevent easy rebounds. Marty, as of late, has been playing in God Mode, but I fear that if he sees too many games in the playoffs like last night versus the Canes and the previous game versus the Caps he will be gassed. This will come regardless of how many games Weekes plays during the regular season. In conclusion, I think we do have a "chance" to win but in light of our light artillery and the trades that teams like Pitsburgh made, those chances are not in our favor. If we can pick up a few more guys up in the offseason, I think we will have a solid chance of winning a cup within 1-3 years.

The End....