New York Mets Thread

Devils Pride 26

Bah guess Eddie C's gotta get better sources :P

Funny thing was I could see the logic of the trade for both sides, the Red Sox need to unload Crisp and there isn't much of a market for him, oh well. Having Pagan platoon early on isn't the worst thing in the world but if he falters the Mets will have to make some deal and probably need to address first base as well.

Xavier Nady would fit nicely on all counts but I doubt we could pry him back from the Pirates, though we do have a couple of chips left (Gotay, Joe Smith) we could trade I guess.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go back further, how about the catching duel in '97 between Tim Spehr and Todd Pratt? That's the most memorable example of an illusory spring. Spehr was like a .200 career hitter but came to Mets camp, had a hot spring and not only won his way onto the team but into a starting job over Pratt (who wasn't BV's favorite back then), then he proceeded to hit his career average when the games counted again :P

Butch Huskey was a big spring performer as well. He'd then spend the next 4 months trying to get his stroke back, and would have solid Septembers against everyone else's call-ups.

And this is going waaaaaaaaay back...anybody remember Darren Reed? He was another guy who's tear it up during the spring, then quickly disappear.

Edited by nmigliore

The Mets have some guy hitting over 500 in 22 spring at bats or something like that. He is probably a superstar in the making and should be starting over anyone from last years lineup if he is going to hit .500. (/sarcasm)
Edited by nmigliore

Like Endy Chavez has done anything special? :rolleyes:

If Pagan keeps playing well until the end of ST and endy plays 'decent' i dont see why Pagan shouldn't be given the start over Endy for a series to see how he will do.

Why not the guy hitting over 500 then if we're basing it on spring training numbers? What does one series show either way? Even Arod will go some series with no base hits. Using 12-15 ABs to judge who should play is as silly as using spring training.

We'll see what happens.. If he struggles from now on until ST ends then I dont think he'll be be on the main roster, but I would be shocked if he continues to play well and doesn't start for at least the first game of the season..

so we'll see what happens

Pagan really isnt anything special. If the sox were even willing to talk Coco Crisp for Pagan, they would be stupid. Endy Chavez really isnt good enough to be an everyday starter either. If the Mets manage to do well until Alou comes back until he hurts himself again, they should be alright. As much as im a Met fan, i ahve to admit having Alou dosent do anything for me, because he is never healthy.

Alou was important to the club last year.. and when everyone was sucking in late August-September he was putting together the longest Mets' hitting streak.. too bad he missed part of the season (I think it was July/parts of August..?), he really could've made the difference in winning the division

And for the outfield, its possible that Chavez/Pagan would platoon until Alou comes back.. or Chavez/Brady Clark (SNY announcers keep mentioning him but he hasn't impressed me).. You also have the option of Marlon Anderson but i dunno maybe they'll use him as a backup to Delgado at 1B? Or will Easley get that job? Hell even Jose Valentin could get that job.. so many options..

And speaking of Jose Valentin he made some funny gesture on camera (camera happen to be showing him talking to one of the coaches) and he was laughing and made the funny gesture .. the video of it was on youtube but they removed it i think.. anyone know what im talking about? it occured during one of the spring training games a week or 2 ago

Edited by nmigliore

When Alou is in the lineup, the team is significantly better. Without him the team is missing a key component. The Mets dont have a middle lineup guy who just hits, Delgado strikes out most times then not and the Washington duo is a solid 270 average but thats not what is needed.

When Alou is in the lineup, the team is significantly better. Without him the team is missing a key component. The Mets dont have a middle lineup guy who just hits, Delgado strikes out most times then not and the Washington duo is a solid 270 average but thats not what is needed.

Delgado chased EVERYTHING last year.. Seriously a damn little league pitcher could've struck him out :P

1st pitch - jam him inside

2nd pitch - give him a change up low or a breaking ball low

3rd pitch - breaking ball away or high fastball

= SO

Edited by nmigliore

my prediction on the season is that JOHN MAINE throws a no hitter. that is all.

John Maine was my fantasy baseball secret weapon last season. I think he'll be my dirty little secret this season. In seriousness I could see a scenario where he is worse than last year and also see one where he is better than last season. From what I've read his changeup and working much better so far this season and as 26/27 year old it isn't crazy to think he improved a pitch in the offseason. If he has more command of the change up this season he will be hard to beat a lot of games.

Hernandez should be released or put to the minors, you must be retarded to think he even deserves to be in the 'pen.. give that 'pen spot to someone like Ricardo Rincon or Nelson Figeuroa.. Pelfrey wasn't impressive either..

I dunno if its just me but I dont like how that 5th spot is gonna be this year.. Whomever gets it between Pelf and Duque will not be anything special.. I'd expect another outing for Pelf and Duque before Willie and Rick Peterson decide who will get that spot

Theres always Patterson who was released by the Nats.. I think this team should've picked up Kyle Losche or Livan Hernandez to be that 5th starter, but who knows maybe (if Pelfrey gets the starter job) he will do a fair job.. But that would mean that Pedro/Johan/Maine/Ollie all need to be on their game.. I think Johan and Maine are gonna have a great season.. I can see Ollie having a below .500 season, Pedro probably a game or two above .500 record..

Edited by nmigliore

6 man? how..? We cant even develop a 5-man.

6-man is just a bad idea, Santana is just too damn good, to deny him the ball for rest is ridiculous. Duque is not gonna be a starter.. I'd say its down to Sosa and Pelfrey, most likely Sosa getting that 5th spot. Because then that would allow Joe Smith to get in the bullpen, who Omar Minaya has been happy with this spring.

>> Plus your also taking the ball away from John Maine, who IMO, is much better than Perez. I have a feeling Ollie is gonna have an off year, he might be looking too much towards next year when he wants a big contract $$$

edit: nevermind perez is starting, ESPN originally had Duque listed as the starter for some reason...

Edited by nmigliore