Should Devs give Marty a night off?

njdss4

I don't think it's a lack of understanding that is the problem. Unless it's a blowout game like Saturday or we have a position locked up for that last game we are not seeing Weekes again this year. Marty is the MVP of this team this year and gives them the best chance to win.

I don't think it matters if its Marty or Weekes in the net. If the defense allows other teams to swarm around the net their gonna score. As great as Marty is, he can't stop every shot.

No way. Just watching even the first two periods, Pittsburgh was making these beautiful passes like our D wasn't even there. It worries me if we face them in the playoffs, but for now we definitely shouldn't put ourselves at a disadvantage and have our best player out. Let's secure home ice, then Weekes can do whatever he wants.

NO! The problem is not Brodeur. The problem is poor defense by the defensemen around and in front of Brodeur. Now is not the time to rest Brodeur when especially the Devils are now BEHIND Pittsburgh for the division. I don't see Weeks playing at all the rest of the 7-games unless it is another blowout. The other problem is the Devils offense is not scoring goals and Brodeur is far from the problem.

If you had asked me earlier in the season, I'd have given you an enthusiastic yes. Now, though, it's like everyone else has said: What's the point?

The only game you could realistically let Weekes start is 4/2 against Boston. It's the only non-divisional game left on the schedule. It's the second game of a back-to-back (at Isles the night before) with an off-day after that and then at Philly 4/4. And even then you might have to/want to start Marty based on where the Devils are in the standings (i.e. if they're gunning for a specific spot).

This week will be tough. Tomorrow's the Pens, then off Wednesday, at Rangers Thursday, vs. Flyers Friday, then three days off before the aforementioned Isles-Bruins two-fer. You can't keep Marty out of a Rangers game and it's pointless to keep him out on Friday given the Devs will be idle all weekend anyway.

EDIT: Oops, screwed something up. I'm not telling what. :giggle:

Edited by RowdyFan42

If i was a coach, I would never even touch the goaltender lineup, i would hand Marty the pen and let him decide every night. It baffles me that anyone here can question how "tired" he is when he has been playing 72+ games each season basically since his 3rd or 4th year here. He knows when he is tired and when he isn't, sometimes he is going to have bad games and by chance sometimes bad games will come in strings. I don't think Marty looked particularly awful in any of the 3 losses, he certainly wasn't great in the penguins game tho.

I also think it's ridiculous to think the team will try to step it up a notch without Broduer in net. Face it, we have a very mediocre team when it comes to scoring. Why put yourself behind the 8-ball, Marty has carried this team all year, all last year and he can do it again, have some faith.

NO! The problem is not Brodeur. The problem is poor defense by the defensemen around and in front of Brodeur. Now is not the time to rest Brodeur when especially the Devils are now BEHIND Pittsburgh for the division. I don't see Weeks playing at all the rest of the 7-games unless it is another blowout. The other problem is the Devils offense is not scoring goals and Brodeur is far from the problem.

My point was we signed an experienced Goalie in Weekes to give Marty an occassional rest so he would be fresh for the playoffs, and it looks like we are making the same mistake as we did last year and the year before.

I am not blaming Marty, I am blaming the coaching staff for not learning from previous years and for not allowing Weekes to be in shape if --Odin forbid-- Marty gets hurt.

Marty is in the best shape of his life and playing like it. He's our only chance to win every game. Three of the four goals on Saturday were deflections and the shorthanded one nobody could have stopped. I think every other team should just throw their backups in against us since a laundry basket in goal could basically give up the token goal.

Never happen.

Too close to the divison right now with Pittsburgh, NYR and now the Flyers.

If Weeks was going to play a game I would say the NYI game on 4/1, but think Brodeur will play the remaining 7-games. There will be plenty of rest in between games and the Devils need the points.