Is it time yet Lou?

Jerzey

Lou didn't pull out all the stops this season, he's not expecting this to be the year for Cup #4. If it happens, great, but likelihood is that it won't. Sutter has had a full season to get accustomed to a few things: NHL style of play, the players on this team and their capabilities, and the overall grind of the season as it wears and tears on the players. Next season should be his true test. Parise has come out as a star player with his second consistent seasonwide effort. Elias is starting to regain a little of what made him a top line player. The two of them round out a fairly decent threat of a line in this league. The test for next year will be to create a second scoring line to compliment them and make this a more complete team.

I'm not sure if there is anything else he can do at this point it is up to the players. Only good thing is that when the playoffs start it is a brand new season and everyone has the same record 0-0 that is the mentality this team needs to have going foward. Do what you need to do to clinch a spot and then forget about the regular season it doesen't matter anymore because the playoffs are a whole new ball game and anything can happen. :koolaid:

I would like to think that we'd get at least an 8th seed. If this current streak continues though...who knows?

And for those who do this every time we lose, for the love of Holy fvck, stop blaming Sutter and Lou. Last I checked they aren't the ones skating against the other team.

Edited by theamazingtiny

He's gotten them to play hard and above their capabilities 95% of the time.

Has he installed all the changes he said he would? No. I don't know if that's because he's not the "big dog", or if it's because his changes aren't plausible with the roster they have. Trying to take a page from the Lightning isn't going to work if no one can score and the defense cracks under pressure.

So, then you get passive hockey.

I would like to see Sutter's influence grow in the organization. I think his ideas are right for what the league is right now. I would like him to have input in the draft (since his prior experience is invaluable) and I would like him to have say in what changes are made to the team to mold it more in his image.

I would not like to see him sh!tcanned because it becomes totally rudderless, the players rule the room, and no coach with more than 10 braincells would work for us. It is a great way to spiral into nothingness. I was okay with Julien getting canned, because frankly, I didn't like him, I thought the team was underperforming and his "style" stunk.

I see the devils playing pretty much exactly the same as they played last year though I havn't seen some huge change in them since getting Sutter I wish I could catch a glimpse into his brilliance as a coach but I have yet to see it. BUT I will say that this is his first year as a pro coach and I would give him another season or two to see how he does.

I didn't blame Sutter or Lou. All I asked was what has Sutter done this season to show he is competant as a coach? I had high hopes for him and I havn't seen him do much.

For most of the year he has been involved in Jack Adams talk but that's only the people who cover hockey and hockey is their living, I'm sure he is much more concerned about the internet fan base.

Do we really want to kill Larry by putting him behind the bench? Shoot, he's had health issues this year as it is and did two years ago when he was coach.

Besides, it's not Sutter's fault - though it would be nice to dig Rachunek out of witness protection and actually replace some of these useless grinders with a couple of the Lowell kids that MIGHT be able to score more than a goal every five games. This team just doesn't have the talent or creativity to break out of this offensive slump.

For most of the year he has been involved in Jack Adams talk but that's only the people who cover hockey and hockey is their living, I'm sure he is much more concerned about the internet fan base.

That was when the devils we're fighting for the top of the conference who will be saying it as we limp into the playoffs? And besides "Other people say he's good" doesn't give me a instance where you saw Sutter make a brilliant coaching move. Besides playing musical chairs with the lineup (largely unsuccessful in doing so) what has he done to prove to you he's a competent coach? I'm sure he doesn't care what we have to say if he did I'm sure he'd comment on it or post here himself. But then again I'm not really taking a shot at him just asking a simple question try not to get all butthurt over it.

That was when the devils we're fighting for the top of the conference who will be saying it as we limp into the playoffs? And besides "Other people say he's good" doesn't give me a instance where you saw Sutter make a brilliant coaching move. Besides playing musical chairs with the lineup (largely unsuccessful in doing so) what has he done to prove to you he's a competent coach? I'm sure he doesn't care what we have to say if he did I'm sure he'd comment on it or post here himself. But then again I'm not really taking a shot at him just asking a simple question try not to get all butthurt over it.

You say mixing up lines has been largely unsuccessful but he has taken a team most thought wouldn't compete for the playoffs and has them in the mix with the top teams in the eastern conference, what else do you want a coach to do? I see the Devils forwards going down into the offensive zone much deeper and with multiple players on the forecheck which is different than the last few seasons and I see the defenseman having the option to hold their point to try and keep pucks in which is different than the last few years.

Edited by Devils731

I see the devils playing pretty much exactly the same as they played last year though I havn't seen some huge change in them since getting Sutter I wish I could catch a glimpse into his brilliance as a coach but I have yet to see it. BUT I will say that this is his first year as a pro coach and I would give him another season or two to see how he does.

Re-watch the beginning of the season. There was a huge difference. The results were ugly. Sutter came in with guns blazing but went away from pretty much everything he was changing up, like I said, I dunno if it was necessity or if he was told to. If they were playing the style of hockey he wants, they'd be a forecheck puck-possession team, an offensive team that rolls and doesn't match up.

This is all reminding me of a few years ago when the Devils went on a losing streak then pulled off 11-straight regular season games to come all the way back to win the division on the last game of the season and in dramatic form being down to Montreal to comeback and win that game and the division. Now the Devils need to win 5 in a row here to finish the season and anything can happen with all the division matchups coming up in the next two weeks of the rest of the season.

Re-watch the beginning of the season. There was a huge difference. The results were ugly. Sutter came in with guns blazing but went away from pretty much everything he was changing up, like I said, I dunno if it was necessity or if he was told to. If they were playing the style of hockey he wants, they'd be a forecheck puck-possession team, an offensive team that rolls and doesn't match up.

Yeah he came in with this whole "LOOK OUT WE FORECHECK STYLE!" and then abondoned it when it didn't work. Went back to the trap and we started winning. Yeah I see the defense pinch in more aggresively but this has led to more odd-man breaks the other way Callahan got a breakaway because of it today. Our offense when they are playing well go in deep and are physical with the other teams D but that hasn't been happening as of late don't know if I can really give Sutter credit for it it's really just what all good offense does. But maybe your right maybe I"m overreacting maybe he IS coach of the year. But people didn't see us making the playoffs, then we're the team to beat when we we're number 1 a couple of times if you finish the season barely limping into the playoffs that just means the original naysayers were right imo. Frankly I didn't want us trip fall and stumble into the playoffs last time I saw the Rangers do that they got swept by us. I try to believe that anything can happen in the playoffs but man hard to be believe that about the devils right now...

I didn't blame Sutter or Lou. All I asked was what has Sutter done this season to show he is competant as a coach? I had high hopes for him and I havn't seen him do much.

LOL!

You honestly think the amount of talent in this years team is relevant to our record?

LOL!

It's a slump. Every team has one. Even the ones at the top right now. Unfortunately ours happened now.

The first part is true but I don't know about that last part. I think some of the pre-season talk about what he was going to do was exaggerated a bit because he needed to establish himself as the boss instead of the players. I think the Devils will continue to match lines however the checking line will be able to go more for offensive chances as they have done at times this year. If you watch the Super Series Sutter coached in a week before he came to training camp he was constantly matching lines against Russia getting Brandon Sutter out there against Chereponov.