regarding the 'soft' goal tonight

metallidevils

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The first post:

It's a backbreaker because this team is so fvcking mentally fragile. They play better after they score, and worse after they get scored on, and they're totally fvcking weak which personally is why this is my least favourite devils team since I can remember watching them. They have NO fvcking spirit, they get despondent after shooting wide 20 times and they don't pick up the play.

It shouldn't be a backbreaker for the series, but it will be. If the Devils lose on Friday the series is over because this team has no resilience.

Yep. I just posted about that in the GDT. Chances don't mean sh!t unless you put them in the net. Doesn't matter how well the Devils played, they were never gonna win. All this did is show the Rags they don't have to play well to beat us.

And about whether or not this was a "back-breaker". It was. This Devils team is too fragile offensively to come back from a deficit, not to mention two one goal deficits. This series was over before it started, and now it's over for real.

If that's the case why don't the Devils forfeit the series and maybe get some good players in the off season? Are you going to watch the next three games to witness the Devils get elliminated in a sweep ?

Or do you hope the Devils come back in this series, win the series and move on to the next round ?

Do you see anything at all that is positive about this team? or do they all suck ?

and they're totally fvcking weak which personally is why this is my least favourite devils team since I can remember watching them.

love to hear when you started watching them. my guess is right around 1994 or so.

because this is the least talented team since then. might be why they're totally fvcking weak and have no resilience. what a bunch of nonsense.

I look at it this way...

I love Marty. I absolutely do.

But, on the other hand, I like butterscotch pudding.

Crap...I was going to draw a parallel of some sort...I just forget what it was...

Lemme think about it and get back to this thread later on.

:rofl: I'm glad at least one person around here has enough of a sense of reality to still crack jokes.

The fact of the matter is that you're not gonna win many games scoring one goal. It doesn't matter what your goalie does or doesn't do ... if he has to pitch a shutout every night, you aren't gonna win many games. Hit the net and score more goals and no one harps on one of Marty's few brain farts ever. We aren't even in the playoffs without his regular season heroics, so anyone who feels the need to blame Marty for this loss is painfully shortsighted.

We really are quite the spoiled fan base.

If that's the case why don't the Devils forfeit the series and maybe get some good players in the off season? Are you going to watch the next three games to witness the Devils get elliminated in a sweep ?

Or do you hope the Devils come back in this series, win the series and move on to the next round ?

Do you see anything at all that is positive about this team? or do they all suck ?

I will watch every game. As painful and depressing as it will be, I will watch.

I DO hope the Devils come back, win the series, and move on. Key word = hope not expect.

There are some positives. Like Marty. He may have given up the softy but I'd rather have him than any other goalie in the league. His loyalty and dedication is never in question. And the Devils' youth. Parise is always trying his hardest and it shows since he led the team in points. Clarkson is a hard-nosed player that can really get the team going and score a bit, too. Even Zajac will be better next season, as I think he'll be put on a better line and have time to create some chemistry with other players.

It's not the end of the Devils' franchise, just the end of this season. It will end here. How about this: If I'm wrong, and the Devils come back to win, I will happily ask for you to create a thread calling me out as a jackass. Feel better?

love to hear when you started watching them. my guess is right around 1994 or so.

because this is the least talented team since then. might be why they're totally fvcking weak and have no resilience. what a bunch of nonsense.

more like 89, but the details are fuzzy as I was five years old. That's as far back as I can remember. We've been blessed with the best or second-best team in hockey for over a decade, I knew it would end, but come on.

And my statements are valid. You can notice a drop-off in play after a bad goal. It's been noticeable all year. They also get frustrated and start screwing up. They don't play harder, they deflate. Tell me I'm wrong. Go ahead.

Edited by Cowutopia

more like 89, but the details are fuzzy as I was five years old. That's as far back as I can remember. We've been blessed with the best or second-best team in hockey for over a decade, I knew it would end, but come on.

And my statements are valid. You can notice a drop-off in play after a bad goal. It's been noticeable all year. They also get frustrated and start screwing up. They don't play harder, they deflate. Tell me I'm wrong. Go ahead.

I knew it would end, too, but I still hate that it happens now. In this exact series. I can handle any other playoff loss pretty well (not even that pissed when NJ lost to PHI in the first round a few years back or OTT last year), but the Rangers? That's just inexcusable at any time.

The Devils were worse back then, but there weren't many expectations back then. I liked hockey, and I rooted for the Devils because I was taken to games, and more importantly, they were from New Jersey. NEW JERSEY. Not fvcking New York. I'm proud to be from Jersey, I love it, and it gets too much sh!t. The Devils are a great outlet for my pride for the state. Losing to the Rangers won't be devastating, although I wish it would have happened any other way to any other team, or even just missing the playoffs. This team's lost so much talent to Free Agency, and the Rangers have loaded up. It's been said before, transition year, retooling, etc., whatever we shouldn't really be in it this year, which would make it all the more sweet if we do get anywhere.

What will really be devastating is if the Devils ever leave New Jersey.

Anyway I don't want any of you, including Triumph, to imply that I am a bandwagon fan of any kind. That is beyond insulting. I've been a Devils fan since I have been self-aware and I will be until either I die or they leave the state.

My playoff shrine is still set up, and I will still watch every excruciating minute of this series, and I will hope.

Ugh I'm so upset I can't sleep, and once I do fall asleep I think I'll sleep until Friday afternoon.

Edited by Cowutopia

As much as I've killed Marty for that goal one thing I didn't see during the heat of action was just how awful Greene was on that play. Not only with the initial giveaway but going to a side of the ice where there were already two Devils, allowing Callahan to be all by himself on the other side. Not only is Greene the dumbest sos since Lyle Odelein but he doesn't seem to care at all. No reaction, no emotion, nothing.

They made more mistakes, we couldn't capitalize. That's the killer.

Exactly. The number of defensive mistakes by the Rangers should have put at least two goals on the board for NJ, but instead it's zero. It's funny because I never really thought they would score on any of them, I just didn't see the players who got the puck to be able to finish.

Yada Yada Yada. Everybody tell me that they aren't waiting for Marty to let up a soft goal at a crucial moment in the game. This is the THIRD straight year that that's happened and unless this team starts to bury its chances, he will continue to be the string that snaps when all the tension is on it. It has nothing to do with rest.

it's sure nice to know the least talented devils team in 15 years only needs 1 or 2 B-level players to actually be talented.

it's sure nice to know the least talented devils team in 15 years only needs 1 or 2 B-level players to actually be talented.

considering that the talent level in the league has evened out a great deal since then, and due to expansion, the talent pool has thinned somewhat, yes.

but go ahead and mischaracterize. i'm sure lou's just about to build that team that has no defensive breakdowns and scores 3 goals a game. you have always been characterizing things absolutely instead of relatively.

Edited by Triumph

We all love Marty, and know he's our backbone, so there's no argument there. However, if we go down 2-0 to the Rags, do you guys think a Kevin Weekes start could help turn the tide in the series? Just shooting out ideas....

I look at it this way...

I love Marty. I absolutely do.

But, on the other hand, I like butterscotch pudding.

Crap...I was going to draw a parallel of some sort...I just forget what it was...

Lemme think about it and get back to this thread later on.

OK -- so here it is..

I love Marty and I love butterscotch pudding... a LOT of it... and if there's a LOT of pudding in front of the net -- nothing is getting by - it'll all just get sucked up. but you know.. some nights -- a LOT of pudding just seems like too much sooo, you know Marty is like a snack pack cup of pudding. Lundy was you know one of those huge warehouse foods tin cans - like cafeteria sized... there was no getting through him. but our snack pack cup - while more dexterous and fun to watch - well - a puck got by him. We just needed a LOT of pudding this one night - but who knew when we placed the dessert order, right?

Man -- that was NOT easy... OK -- your turn cromag

I'm still waiting for NJCroMag to complete his butterscotch pudding analogy. That was a great post. :smilegah:

hey -- I was forming mine when you posted! I :wub: analogies :giggle: So cromag -- GO!

Edited by Pepperkorn

I will watch every game. As painful and depressing as it will be, I will watch.

I DO hope the Devils come back, win the series, and move on. Key word = hope not expect.

There are some positives. Like Marty. He may have given up the softy but I'd rather have him than any other goalie in the league. His loyalty and dedication is never in question. And the Devils' youth. Parise is always trying his hardest and it shows since he led the team in points. Clarkson is a hard-nosed player that can really get the team going and score a bit, too. Even Zajac will be better next season, as I think he'll be put on a better line and have time to create some chemistry with other players.

It's not the end of the Devils' franchise, just the end of this season. It will end here. How about this: If I'm wrong, and the Devils come back to win, I will happily ask for you to create a thread calling me out as a jackass. Feel better?

No, I won't be asking for a thread calling people out, it's just that you seem to believe that we have no chance, and while things may point to this, anything can happen, what happens if Lundqvist gets hurt by some freak play ? what happens if Jagr tears an acl ? not that I wish that on the Rangers, if we are to beat them I'd like us to beat them with them being at full strength.

From the posts I've read from you, you have thrown the towel in, if you were a player with that attitude not only would you be benched, you'd be traded.

Adversity reveals character, it does not build it.

I think the Devils played very well last night, and a bounce here or there and the score would have been reversed, this Rangers team reminds so much of the Giants last season, a lot of good fortune and bounces went their way, helped them make the playoffs and helped them win the SB.

IMO, the Devils work ethic is not in question, if they play the rest of the series like they did game one, the Devils will prevail, because as far as the Rangers are concerned, brains will only take you so far and luck always runs out.

I've never been the type of fan to jump ship in the face of adversity, to me, adversity reveals real fans from fair weather fans, like in the GDT last night.

I'm not calling you a fair weather fan, but I think you need to see that the glass isn't always half empty, sometimes it's half full.

The next game could decide the series, if the Devils go down 0-2 it will be tough to come back, but not impossible.

From what I've seen and learned, the series isn't over until one team wins four games.

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

OK -- so here it is..

I love Marty and I love butterscotch pudding... a LOT of it... and if there's a LOT of pudding in front of the net -- nothing is getting by - it'll all just get sucked up. but you know.. some nights -- a LOT of pudding just seems like too much sooo, you know Marty is like a snack pack cup of pudding. Lundy was you know one of those huge warehouse foods tin cans - like cafeteria sized... there was no getting through him. but our snack pack cup - while more dexterous and fun to watch - well - a puck got by him. We just needed a LOT of pudding this one night - but who knew when we placed the dessert order, right?

Man -- that was NOT easy... OK -- your turn cromag

That whole thing reminds me of the "coach" on the NHL Network ads who just rambles on and after he runs out of steam just says 'let's play some hockey' or 'lets hit the showers'.

Thanks for the laugh :)

I was thinking NJCroMag might have wanted to say this:

I like butterscotch pudding. But if the butterscotch pudding is spoiled/rotten, I don't have to pretend that it tastes as good as it usually does.

Wow...that's better than anything I could come up with, to be honest. I like it. Let's go with it, and add one thing...

If the pudding's spoiled/rotten in one instance, it doesn't mean I abandon it forever. I expect a return to form the next time I try it.

Ultimately, my faith will always be in butterscotch pudding.

And the Lord. Can't forget about Him.