Bettman backs stripes

eaglejelly

Calgary Sun

Bettman and the league have a new fire to deal with after yesterday's game between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils.

Rangers pest Sean Avery screened goalie Martin Brodeur during a five-on-three powerplay by staring at him face-to-face akin to a defender in basketball.

Technically, it's not really a penalty, seeing as Avery didn't interfere with Brodeur or make contact, but Bettman said the league didn't approve.

"It's something we're going to address in the realm of probably goaltender interference or unsportsmanlike conduct," he said.

"We'll put the clubs on notice before we make that interpretation.

"The ingenuity and creativity of things we've never seen before never ceases to amaze us but we'll deal with it."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could tell Bettman was a little annoyed by it too....

guess I can't blame him... I love a good a$$hole moment, but that kinds takes the attention away from the game where it SHOULD BE

Not to mention flopping your stick around in the air and pretending it's your mutil-thousand dollar spending pecker... yeah .... um not good for the NHL :P

Sutter was great in the postgame. Somebody asked about the incident and Sutter said the Ref came right over to him and said that if Avery did that again it would be a penalty. A follow up questions then asked how Sutter felt about it then and Sutter said that the ref couldn't come over until after Avery had scored so he didn't feel too good about it. :lol:

which is why they have a nice vague penalty on the books called unsportsmanlike conduct...

though I have to wonder if it's going to be a penalty if it's done again, why ISN'T it the first time?? :noclue:

Someone's gonna do this to me in goal this week I KNOW it... and they'll get murdered for it :P

The cretin will do it again. Jeez, Marty told the media he couldn't see the puck when he did it. The refs can't make up a penalty if it's not in the books.

If he does it again, maybe he'll take a one-timer square in the back, since he'll never see it coming.

Because, ya know...that would be absolutely...horrible...

*ahem*

After the replay was shown on CBC's feed of the Boston-Montreal game they brought up that vague "misconduct" penalty. The feeling was Avery should have been put in the box for a 10 minute player misconduct meaning no PP for the Devils.

After the replay was shown on CBC's feed of the Boston-Montreal game they brought up that vague "misconduct" penalty. The feeling was Avery should have been put in the box for a 10 minute player misconduct meaning no PP for the Devils.

unsportsmanlike conduct can also be a 2 minute minor so it's up to the refs on what penalty they want to give Avery. I believe it will be a 2 minute minor if it comes up again in the future.

unsportsmanlike conduct can also be a 2 minute minor so it's up to the refs on what penalty they want to give Avery. I believe it will be a 2 minute minor if it comes up again in the future.

No, that's not what he's referring to. A 10 minute misconduct (there are also game misconducts) only remove the player from the ice. Unless a 2 minute penalty is added, like an unsportsmanlike, no player sits in the box and there is no manpower change.

Misconducts and unsportsmanlike conducts are two different things.

Edited by SegaDevil

Can Bettman change the rules at this point in the season? Or is this a "we're looking into it for next year" thing?

He is not changing the rules, he is just clarifying that the interpretation of certain rules, rightfully so. Even Rangers fans are saying they don

even though it wasn't in the rule book, with what he was doing the refs should've been looking for any excuse to give him a penalty. especially since there's two of them on the ice. and there was a point when he hit Marty with his stick. they should've called it then. On the other hand, everyone keeps saying they've never seen anything like that, but i remember the Bruins being on a 5 on 3 and sticking Chara in front of Marty and he had his hands up in front of him :whoknows:

No, that's not what he's referring to. A 10 minute misconduct (there are also game misconducts) only remove the player from the ice. Unless a 2 minute penalty is added, like an unsportsmanlike, no player sits in the box and there is no manpower change.

Misconducts and unsportsmanlike conducts are two different things.

I understand there is difference between a 10 minute or game misconduct and a 2 minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

"It's something we're going to address in the realm of probably goaltender interference or unsportsmanlike conduct," he said.

The league appears to be giving 2 minute minors for this behavoir going forward and I believe they will assess it as unsportsmanlike conduct. I was saying it does not appear the league will be saying to give them a 10 minute misconduct penalty but will be giving out 2 minute minors and I believe it will be in the form of unsportsmanlike conduct.

Penalty or not -- strictly *bush league*

I can assure you the first time a Devs would do that, Lou would be addressing it shortly so it never happens again ... :rolleyes:

That guy got runned out of LA .. yet he's msgs' darling.. thats all you need to know about that fanbase.

even though it wasn't in the rule book, with what he was doing the refs should've been looking for any excuse to give him a penalty. especially since there's two of them on the ice. and there was a point when he hit Marty with his stick. they should've called it then. On the other hand, everyone keeps saying they've never seen anything like that, but i remember the Bruins being on a 5 on 3 and sticking Chara in front of Marty and he had his hands up in front of him :whoknows:

Yeah, like Chara needs to do anything but stand there :rolleyes:

It's a real minor league move.

The best part of that whole situation was when Drury skated over and told him to knock it off.

Avery's antics get under the skin of even his own teammates. Even though they are his teammates, they are also hockey players, and I'm sure some of the more upstanding ones are sickened by his little act.

It's the reason he was run out of Detroit and LA.

Sutter was great in the postgame. Somebody asked about the incident and Sutter said the Ref came right over to him and said that if Avery did that again it would be a penalty. A follow up questions then asked how Sutter felt about it then and Sutter said that the ref couldn't come over until after Avery had scored so he didn't feel too good about it. :lol:

So the NYR and Avery got away with it for now and it was a good thing the Devils have won Game 3. IMO, that goal should have never happened as Avery should have been in the penalty box for goaltending interference. Glad to see Bettman wasn't too happy about Avery circus antics and it won't happen again. Good for Sutter too.

The cretin will do it again. Jeez, Marty told the media he couldn't see the puck when he did it. The refs can't make up a penalty if it's not in the books.

Rule 41 Abuse of Officials and other Misconduct Section G

A misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.

unsportsmanlike.gif

http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule41.html