THE GARDEN VS. THE ROCK

MB3

GARDEN VS. ROCK  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which arena is better? Taking everything into account.

• Prudential Center
    • Madison Square Garden

Ok, read this first. Take EVERYTHING INTO ACCOUNT. Think about it all, the concourses, the sight-lines, the experience, the memories, the history. Streight up, you are given tickets to one game, and you're AREN'T A FAN OF EITHER TEAM, but you HAVE been to both arena's previously. Pick which arena is better, taking everything in.

Prudential Center. I haven't even been to it but I can tell it's so many light years ahead of CAA. I have been to MSG and I was not impressed. Everything in the building outside of the actual rink and seats is outdated and mediocre imo.

Pru Center. It was built overbudget to last, and it looks like it's going to last a while. It's big and open, made just for the Devils, with great sightlines and everything. Sure it doesn't have history, but history will be made there.

MSG is a rickety 50-year-old arena that they can't replace because of the history and the location...It doesn't compare to the Rock.

Do I have to sit in the seats at MSG where I can't see part of the ice?

For this reason alone I vote Pru Center. Paying to see the devils play at MSG and not being able to see if the puck went into the net was miserable. Those seats sucked!

I have not sat in the last row of the upper level at PRU but since there are not 200 level behind nets this would not be a problem. I have sat in 100 behind nets and able to see all, and have sat high up in 200's and could see all from sides.

My parents also had probs with seats for a springsteen concert at msg.. they said poor siteline from really high up.. they werent behind stage or anything like that.

Prudential Center is a state of the art facility with perfect sightlines and wide concourses. Madison Square Garden is a pathetic purple and teal dump that looks like Barney puked in it with horrible sightlines and concourses six feet wide.

MSG, miserable sightlines... obstructions and vendors in your damn face all game long

average food at best (not to mention where else does a combo not include a soda?!?!?)

even when I would go to WWE shows at MSG it was an un-fun experience

Prudential Center is a top 5 arena in the league with better food and sightlines

this really SHOULD be no contest, except in "name value"... and you can take the world's most arrogant arena and stuff it!

Why do you think there is such a Ranger fan presence in the Rock but not the same for Devils fans in MSG?

Tickets are half the price??

That was my annoyance comeback at them for game 2

... wow it must suck to not be able to afford or be WANTED in your own building for the playoffs :P

The Garden has the greatest location for a sporting venue possible. New York City is the greatest city on earth, and MSG is right smack dab in the middle of it with a MAJOR transportation hub right in the basement. That said, the Garden really doesn't have anything else going for it. The place itself sucks.

The Rock is the class of the NHL when it comes to arenas, and that area of Newark is a FAR FAR cry from central Manhattan, but it's also a hell of a lot better than the swamp. Since this isn't a "which is a better city" question, I had to vote Prudential. The arena is just freakin incredible.

Here's the way I look at it:

MSG is like the Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park of hockey. If asked on the street where I would rather go for a sporting event, I would go MSG, despite the Rock being so much nicer. All of that history just makes it for me. Like someone said above though, I can't wait til the Rock has some history to it and this would be a no-brainer for me.

Here's the way I look at it:

MSG is like the Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park of hockey. If asked on the street where I would rather go for a sporting event, I would go MSG, despite the Rock being so much nicer. All of that history just makes it for me. Like someone said above though, I can't wait til the Rock has some history to it and this would be a no-brainer for me.

Not much history for the sports teams in that building, though. Willis Reed, Messier and.... the history is kinda manufactured because it's been around that long in NYC, so it got "events". But as for the actual teams, not too much.

Not much history for the sports teams in that building, though. Willis Reed, Messier and.... the history is kinda manufactured because it's been around that long in NYC, so it got "events". But as for the actual teams, not too much.

Exactly. When people call the Knicks or Rangers "storied" franchises, they really only mean "old." Not much history worth remembering from those teams. Most of the history of the Garden stems from boxing or concerts or papal visits, etc.

Which reminds me ... if the quesion was re-worded a bit I might have to change my answer. I'd pick MSG over the Rock a million out of a million times for a boxing match. But for anything else, I'm stickin with Prudential.

I haven't gotten to go to the Rock yet, me living on Long Island makes it hard to find the perfect day, but I've visited Madison Square Garbage about 6 times in the past 3 years, and I can definitively say that just about any arena in the country is better than this.

(Warning: Some of the following aspects of MSG are compared to the Nassau Coliseum, the arena I know best)

The fans walking in are composed of two types: The idiot bandwagon fans that chant how Henrik is the best goalie and Avery is a saint; and the business men in suits that have no clue what sport they're watching or which team is which, just that they were given the tickets by business associates.

Hearing the pathetic losers chant every 2 minutes about how a HOF defensemen sucks really gives you an insight on the fans' class and intelligence.

Entering the concourses, you'd think that having a concourse for each level would give relief from the crowds and lines found in the single concourse of the Coliseum. However, either the lines are longer, or the workers slower at MSG, because getting a snapple still requires a 5 minute line. Although you'd think bathroom lines would SURELY be shorter due to the many concourses, the waiting time at the Garden can be nearly twice then at NVMC.

Entering the actual inside, you can clearly notice that this arena does NOT have a hockey atmosphere AT ALL. You can picture a concert, maybe a basketball game, but it does not feel a hockey atmosphere.

Sitting in your seats confirms that feeling, since the seats are designed for a concert, and therefore have TERRIBLE sightlines for hockey. You have to lean half out of your seats just to see the ice, but not too much to anger the Rag fans behind you. Even a Rag fan friend I got tickets with got yelled at by above fans when attempting to see his own team's home ice.

Again, I've never been to the Rock, but the Coliseum must be 10x better than MSG, and the Rock being brand new gives it the sure fire top spot on the list. (Until the Lighthouse comes, of course)

PS What history? Three of the four Raggy cups came in the first buildings, not this Garden.

Edited by matcat1116