Thoughts on the Rock's opening season?

NJDevs4978

Now that we're having retrospective threads, here's a more positive one. Discuss good memories from this season, what you like about the Rock, and what the Devils can improve for next year. Our nice new home deserves a proper send-off for the season!

Edited by Hasan4978

I went to 4 games.

I went to the second home game, Pando Hat Trick, etc... was nice.

Dallas game, nice comeback win.

Islanders game... Mottau trippping, Isles win 1-0... poor Mikey :<

Habs game... this one was bad. Up and then letting the Habs comeback and win...

I loved the Rock. Great improvement over the old Contintental Cave.

I made it to two games, both times scored free tickets thanks to a friend. Like the arena, never any lines for bathrooms or concessions. Nice variety of food, nothing spectacular though.

The building has the potential to be very loud. Next year, if we face a team in the playoffs without a huge away fan base, that building has the potential to rock. This year was a dud in the playoffs. Not the way you want to open a new era.

I love the staff and security. They are light years ahead of the trash we had at the Meadowlands.

Does anyone remember one of the games where they picked two ushers and played a song over the speakers, as the ushers danced? And they showed both ushers on the jumbo-tron dancing and the fans had to cheer for whichever one they liked better? It was great; it was almost like an 80's dance-off. I though that was hilarious, and the staff at CAA would never do that.

Does anyone remember one of the games where they picked two ushers and played a song over the speakers, as the ushers danced? And they showed both ushers on the jumbo-tron dancing and the fans had to cheer for whichever one they liked better? It was great; it was almost like an 80's dance-off. I though that was hilarious, and the staff at CAA would never do that.

I sprung for season tix and loved every game. I almost got a divorce over it!

But I made the trek from Toms River. Loved the Jimmy Buffs hot dogs and the friendly staff...everyone trying to make it a success.

I hated everytime the Rangers fans came to the building.. made me feel like puking. They always have to compare everything to the "garden"..Who gives a sh!t!!!

Yup they did it at 2 games this year. The staff and everyone else who works there just looks like they are happy to be working there and I love that the ushers cheer when the Devils score.

Well I love the fact that I am now a loud and proud part of the 209 dysfunctional family....

it was great to have my first full season and make friends with those around me

not to mention being a part of the noise (well more so past Feburary :whistling: :whistling: )

the food was 5-stars (well compared to the CAA a dumpster is 5-stars)

and just being there for 37 games plus playoffs!!

Bring on October!!!!!!

I managed to get myself into just about every seating arrangement in the building save for luxury suite over the course of the year. 200s, 100s, lower level, Clubs, handicap, restuarant, Goal Bar, terrace tables. Not a single time was I in a bad seat. That in and of itself is amazing.

The staffers for the most part are excellent. I loved the ushers in particular. You can tell that hockey in general was new to most of them this year, and so many seem genuinely into it that it gives this place a much more home-y feel than CAA could ever have.

There were opening-season issues (the roof leaking, the fire in the concession stand, pretty much the entire crowd control portion of the first Devils/Rangers game, Doc & Chico's location in the first few games), but they learned from all of the issues quickly and everything seemed to be pretty smooth by the end of the year and probably only smoother in coming years.

I can't wait for October now. Seriously. I hate summer. It was sad thinking that I was probably walking out of that building tonight, not to return for six months. I miss it already.

i believe my grand total was 15 games this season.

the only game i didnt have a blast at was the 4-0 loss to the Caps on the 29th. i sat in my seat and wasnt given a reason to cheer the whole game. when I was sick and it hurt to sit on Jan 2nd, it was more exciting...plus I won NHL 2K8 for the xbox that's not in my house

My birthday gift this year (yeah it's a big one) was to fly into NJ (I live in northern CA) to see the new arena and my beloved Devs. Saw the Pitts game on March 25 (yes our guys lost) but the new arena was great. What a difference from Continental arena. Everyone who worked there was great, very friendly. Got to see Dano in the goal bar, and the bartender gave me a free drink when I told him I flew in from CA to see the game. Wish I could get there more often, but I have Center Ice so I can see the games. Hope to get to the Rock next year when I visit the family in NJ.

To all local Devils fans in the NJ area: BUY TICKETS NEXT SEASON AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM :boogie:

I'm really jealous, I didn't get to go to the Rock this year. Both times I was in New Jersey this year for a stop over the Devils were on the road. Next year I'm going to get on a plane for the 6 hours and take three days of work if I have to just to see one game in the new building.

My favorite memory this year? Watching the team annihilate the Hurricanes and Flyers. I expect Parise and Oduya to turn it up another notch next season.

I went to 11 games total this season, and while every one was a blast, there were two moments that stick out.

1) Meeting Daneyko in the Ice Lounge on opening night. Words can't describe how awesome that was.

2) Taking part in the tricycle race on the ice with my buddy. He whooped me good since my legs were too long to work the damned thing, but it was a blast and I'll never forget it.

Vanderbeek did a great job with this place. Here's looking forward to countless new memories.

I also love the staff and security. On the way out, the usher gave me a big hug and told me that she was so disappointed, but she knew the Devils would kick ass next year. Who at the CAA would say that?

I love the food too. Pricey, but a good selection. I like all the bars around the arena, and I love having an actual team store. Taking the train up is so much more convenient, too.

As for memorable games...the Halloween game against the Flyers (which I still consider our real "opening night"), the first Montreal game where Marty got a shutout and Zach had his first career hat trick...and of course, the nine-game streak.