TIME FOR DEVILS AND LAMORIELLO TO OPEN WALLET

SC Devs Fan

TIME FOR DEVILS AND LAMORIELLO TO OPEN WALLET

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04202008/sport...en_w_107268.htm

One of the Devils' apparent strategies under the new collective bargaining agreement was to become management-heavy, since coaches and staffers are not cap costs. An example is that he paid so much for Brent Sutter, believed to be $15 million over five years. Sutter's task was wring every last bit out of the players provided, and they looked fully wrung by late March and through their five-game loss to the Rangers, outscored 25-4 in their final 15 third periods.

Lamoriello will have to go great lengths to convince the top unrestricted free agents that Newark is a destination of choice, particularly with a team that has won only two playoff rounds since its 2003 Stanley Cup. A team whose franchise player, Martin Brodeur, turns 36 next month and looked "tired mentally," according to his coach.

Money is no longer an excuse, not with the Mint Sharpe James built them at Mulberry and Lafayette. They are handed most of an annual payroll from the entertainment group that bought the concert rights to the rink - from them.

Seriously, what if the Devils signed Avery? He is an unrestricted free agent, and the rangers top forwards. the Rangers signed our top forward last year. Lets do the same to them this year. Sign him for 4 million a year. 4 years.

I hate Avery's guts more than any other devils fan but it might be a good move to sign him. plus rangers fans have grown to love him and it would kill them to see him in red and black.

Sign him and a offensive defensman like cambell and we're good to go.

Seriously, what if the Devils signed Avery? He is an unrestricted free agent, and the rangers top forwards. the Rangers signed our top forward last year. Lets do the same to them this year. Sign him for 4 million a year. 4 years.

I hate Avery's guts more than any other devils fan but it might be a good move to sign him. plus rangers fans have grown to love him and it would kill them to see him in red and black.

You clearly don't hate this guy more then any other Devil fan if you want to sign him or "might be a good move".

I noted in another thread but I won't cheer for the Devils if Avery is part of the team. He is a disgrace to the game and shame on any general manager for keeping this guy employed.

Edited by squishyx

You clearly don't hate this guy more then any other Devil fan if you want to sign him or "might be a good move".

I noted in another thread but I won't cheer for the Devils if Avery is part of the team. He is a disgrace to the game and shame on any general manager for keeping this guy employed.

I really don't think we're in any danger of signing Avery.

We should have traded forhim in the first place.

That being said, I personally feel there is no way Marty would allow Lou to sign him, no matter what.

I agree. If he was here, like Claude, we'd embrace him but no way Lou disrespects Marty and signs him.

I'm sorry, but folks need to start showing up at the freaking games. I mean there were more Ranger fans in Newark than Devils fans for game 5. They needed fan support and didn't get it....bottom line. They were heckling Marty in our own building....the crowd went wild when the Rags scored. Now that is bullsh!t! I'll be honest and say I live way out of state and haven't even seen the Rock. However, before I moved out of state I would attend about 20 games a year.

Scoring is exciting and brings in the fans, so I truly hope Lou does pick up some serious offensive talent.

Some more info that has been discussed here:

"Jay Pandolfo said he will not require surgery for the groin ligament injury that has hampered him since November. He will take a summertime rest cure as he becomes an unrestricted free agent. . . . Karel Rachunek denied that he already has signed for next season in Russia, but it is believed he enraged management by speaking with a Russian team rep in December, angered at not returned to the lineup immediately after missing a game to attend his child's birth. . . . Jamie Langenbrunner said he wasn't suffering any ill effects from his training camp hernia surgery."

Signing Avery? Fat chance. Never mind what Marty would say, Avery doesn't fit into the mold of the prototypical "Devil. He is a child and should be looked upon as a cancer to a team's integrity. As far as having an agitator...isn't that what we have Clarkson for?

the Rachunek thing stinks to high hell....it's possible that he could've helped us this season and he didn't play why? because he might have signed with another team in his home county to play NEXT SEASON?? it's just childish to not play him for that reason...you are putting your feelings before the betterment of the team...

If we sign Avery I will cancel my season tickets until he is gone. I am not kidding and I will back up my statement if it happens.

Thankfully I think I have a better chance at winning the lottery before seeing the Devils sign Avery.

...you have a better chance waking up tomorrow morning and hearing Big Foot is president, let alone the lottery.

That being said, I personally feel there is no way Marty would allow Lou to sign him, no matter what.

Then Marty's ego is truly beyond all levels of control and someone needs to tell him to shut the fvck up and do what is best for the team... If signing Hitler, Stalin, and Saddam Hussein to this team makes them a better and more effective team next year... YOU DO IT

We all work with people we can't stand and would not deal with otherwise... time to grow up and accept the same

(I have to admit that press conference between them would be hilarious :P)

and no I am not saying "sign him"

I'm sorry, but folks need to start showing up at the freaking games. I mean there were more Ranger fans in Newark than Devils fans for game 5. They needed fan support and didn't get it....bottom line. They were heckling Marty in our own building....the crowd went wild when the Rags scored. Now that is bullsh!t! I'll be honest and say I live way out of state and haven't even seen the Rock. However, before I moved out of state I would attend about 20 games a year.

You realize that Devils playoff tickets were HALF the price of the same seats in MSG right?

As much as I hate it... I can't blame Ranger fans for showing up... the Devils need to do something like offer extra seats to the STH when it's announced a local rival is playing them in the playoffs as a pre-release so we can fill the building up RIGHT

We broke 15,000 a night I believe in the new place... attendance is not an issue

Scoring is exciting and brings in the fans, so I truly hope Lou does pick up some serious offensive talent.

Is there any way that this could be posted in a new thread? Or in one of the more recent attendance threads? It's an issue that -- while it has been discussed many times before -- still deserves to be discussed again, IMO.

Devils signing Avery would be the last player Lou would go after in the UFA market. That would just be insane considering there is bad blood between him and Brodeur and the Devils. Just won't happen.

Lou does need to go out and spend the money in the off season. I would like to see Campbell be first priority and then getting any of these players like Sundin, Rolston, Malone, Hossa and I am sure there are plenty others Lou will see available to sign. The Devils will have plenty to spend under the new salary cap for next season.

No. It wouldnt be a good move, and most Rangers fans that I talk to cant stand him. Im sure him and Marty will never be friends let alone teamates.

Great point, squishyx. Avery is a black mark on the league and I would stop rooting for the Devils if he were signed here.

Lou just isn't used to "opening his wallet". I don't know if he's capable of changing. If the rumor that Brent Sutter will be taking over as GM is true, then maybe it should happen sooner rather than later.

How about David Clarkson get his head out of his you-know-what and become that kind of player (without the nonsense)? Where was he this series anyway?