Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundqvist finalists for Vezina

Z-Man

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=235376&amp...=headlines_main

Nice job on the spelling, TSN.

The National Hockey League has announced the finalists for the 2007-08 Vezina Trophy, awarded to the league's top goaltender.

The nominees include Marting Brouder of the New Jersey Devils, Evgeni Nabakov of the San Jose Sharks and Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers.

Edited by Z-Man

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: Wow! That is some really bad spelling there. The Vezina is Brodeur's once again but Nabakov will be a close 2nd place to Brodeur this season. Without Brodeur the Devils would have never made the playoffs. Brodeur had one of his best seasons this past year.

Since he will get passed by on the MVP, this BETTER be Marty. He is the only reason we made the playoffs this season. The Vezina is his.

Since he will get passed by on the MVP, this BETTER be Marty. He is the only reason we made the playoffs this season. The Vezina is his.

I also trully believe that the MVP (Hart Trophy) will also be Brodeur's. :koolaid: He was the MVP of the Devils and their run to the playoffs again for the 11th straight season. If Brodeur does not get the MVP it would be a crime.

I also trully believe that the MVP (Hart Trophy) will also be Brodeur's. :koolaid: He was the MVP of the Devils and their run to the playoffs again for the 11th straight season. If Brodeur does not get the MVP it would be a crime.

I think the Hart already has Ovechkins name etched into it for this season. As soon as the Caps made the playoffs, the choice was made.

I think it should be Marty, too. We all saw game in and game out what he means to this team.

And it's an absolute joke that Lundqvist is a finalist. I know he had a bunch of shutouts, but he also had a stretch where he was givin up 4 goals a game consistantly and Valiquette ended up getting a bunch of starts because he was slipping. Besides, any goalie could put up those numbers if his team plays the trap!!! :P (Man it feels good to throw that back after all the times I heard that in the last 10 years.)

I see Brodeur vs. Nabokov as a toss-up. Can't really argue against either.

Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked either way.

If Brodeur doesn't get it, I wouldn't call it a "crime" in anyway shape or form. Nabokov deserves just as much as Marty. It's definitely a coinflip.

Edited by Rangerfans

If it weren't for Ovechkin, I'd say Marty is MVP but the league will never choose Brodeur when Ovechkin is the face of the NHL (other than Sid the Kid). Unless you watched 50+ Devils games this year, you wouldn't appreciate Marty on an MVP level, and how many voters watched that many Devils games? Not many I'm sure but they ALL watched Ovie (as I did on numerous occasions). I agree that when they made the playoffs, it etched Ovie into the MVP slot.

Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked either way.

If Brodeur doesn't get it, I wouldn't call it a "crime" in anyway shape or form. Nabokov deserves just as much as Marty. It's definitely a coinflip.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Nabokov win it. He was amazing this year. I could see voters stick with Brodeur because of his history though, like when Hasek won in the 90's when other goalies had better years.

AO had a great season but Brodeur put his Devils team into the playoffs. There was other talent on the Capitals that put them into the playoffs and they were in a very weak division. The voting will be close on this one and do hope Brodeur wins as he deserves it this season. I am sure there will be other seasons where we will see AO in the running for the Hart trophy. This year IMO it really should go to Brodeur if any of these voters has seen Brodeur play the way he has played all season long.

so when did red get hired by TSN ?? :P

I'm pulling for Nabby personally.... he's had an amazing season and Marty needs to get his damned ego chopped down a few hundred pegs so maybe he can realize to actually be the best goalie in the league he has to PLAY SO ??

(not to mention Nabby had a better year)

AO had a great season but Brodeur put his Devils team into the playoffs. There was other talent on the Capitals that put them into the playoffs and they were in a very weak division. The voting will be close on this one and do hope Brodeur wins as he deserves it this season. I am sure there will be other seasons where we will see AO in the running for the Hart trophy. This year IMO it really should go to Brodeur if any of these voters has seen Brodeur play the way he has played all season long.

AO is the reason the Caps made the playoffs. You take away his 65 goals and than the Caps would have only scored 177 goals, which would be the fewest in the league by a lot.

if lundqvist somehow wins this then i will be embarrased

He's not. I am a little surprised that he's a finalist, but I guess his shutouts got him there. No way does he get it or deserve it. The Vezina is strictly a regular-season award and you can make very sound arguments about both goalies (Marty and Nabs).

It's a coinflip. Personally, I'm hoping Nabokov gets it. Marty has won it in the past and the way Nabokov stood on his head the last 20 or so games, it would be hard to pursuade me.

However, let the GMs discuss it and how they all love Gary Bettman.

AO is the reason the Caps made the playoffs. You take away his 65 goals and than the Caps would have only scored 177 goals, which would be the fewest in the league by a lot.

Superficial argument. If AO doesn't play, other players will get his 20-25minutes of icetime per night and will probably score at least half of AO's goals. Then they are far from fewest.

I think he will get it, but they should just clarify that the Hart trophy literally goes to the most valuable player (not a goalie) because 5-10 goalies this year were twice as important to their team as AO was to the caps in terms of importance.

Superficial argument. If AO doesn't play, other players will get his 20-25minutes of icetime per night and will probably score at least half of AO's goals. Then they are far from fewest.

I think he will get it, but they should just clarify that the Hart trophy literally goes to the most valuable player (not a goalie) because 5-10 goalies this year were twice as important to their team as AO was to the caps in terms of importance.

I think if you replaced AO with anyone else, they aren't in the playoffs, period. He has the most goals ever by a winger and some of those close 2-1 games, without his goals...they're not in the playoffs.

Brodeur? You can make the argument that if you put Nabokov, Giguere, etc. in net, they probably would have stilled made the playoffs. Maybe not a 4th seed, but the playoffs nonetheless.

Ok fine ill throw in some more stats... how about 11 game winning goals? 2 overtime goals? He had 112 points and was a +28. Your telling me with that roster someone else would have made up for AO not being there and that they would have won the division?