Goalie interference threatens to ruin playoffs

njdss4

The NHL needs to protect the goalie a little bit better than they are doing now especially with Brodeur getting run over in almost every game this season and especially the playoffs. The NHL needs the "Brodeur" rule now where a goaltender should not be run into or it will be a 2-minute penalty. The NHL needs to enforce the goaltending interference rule/penalty a lot more next season or there will be hurt goalies from this.

Perhaps an idea would be to make goalie interference a penalty with severity levels. You have the unintentional contact which is no penalty but can disallow goals like we currently have. You have contact where the player did not due enough to avoid the goalie and faces a 2 minute minor. You have a 4 minute minor where it appears the player made a decision not to avoid the goalie and puts the goalie body at harm. This would never happen though because the NHL refs do not like having discretion, they like black and white rules like the stupid stick breaking is a 2 minute slashing minor.

I think a 4 minute minor is a little much for an interference call. Personally, I think they should call it every time it can be avoided and isn't. Like when Jagr drove the net and took of Marty's helmet. Superficially at least, the point of the play was not to hurt him. But could it have been avoided? Absolutely.

I think a 4 minute minor is a little much for an interference call. Personally, I think they should call it every time it can be avoided and isn't. Like when Jagr drove the net and took of Marty's helmet. Superficially at least, the point of the play was not to hurt him. But could it have been avoided? Absolutely.

Ya, I was saying that would still be a 2 minute minor. 4 minutes would be the play where a player is putting the goalie in serious danger through reckless play.

It could be progressive kind of like high sticking...2 or 4 or a major...I really miss 70's - 80's hockey...this wouldn't even be an issue...players would have taken care of the problem pronto :)

Exactly. Once upon a time, these matters had a way of sorting them selves out, so to speak. You didn't have idiots like Avery running around pulling his stunts.

It could be progressive kind of like high sticking...2 or 4 or a major...I really miss 70's - 80's hockey...this wouldn't even be an issue...players would have taken care of the problem pronto :)

The Golden Age of hockey. Long gone.

Umm, it's the fans and NHL brass that don't like giving refs discretion.

No way, the refs hate discretion. Discretion gets them yelled at so they much prefer black and white rules over rules that make sense. For example, the flipping the puck out of play rule was originally up to the refs discretion whether the player did it on purpose to avoid the other teams offense. It rapidly changed to any time a player flips the puck out of play in the defensive zone only because the refs didn't want to have ot make a judgement call on every puck going out of play. The refs are like people with other jobs, the more black and white the rules are the more they are CYAing themselves.

i think the best way to protect the goaltenders is to create a rule that says that a player can't score if he's in the crease. that way, forwards will have to steer clear and really won't be able to touch the goalies. i bet if the devils and rangers played again, this would really be in the devils favor.

for those of you that can't see that i'm channeling 96-97, my point is that the rule is fine as it is as long as refs use their fvcking heads and their fvcking eyes. falling on a guy when there's no one near you - penalty. running a goaltender w/o the puck - penalty.

flopping like brodeur did when jagr hit his helmet - penalty on marty.

you'd think its easy to call these games, but its obviously much different when you're down there on the ice.

I just don't want a "foot-in-the-crease" rule...I'm just not sure what they can do.

Basically, they can't do a freaking thing about it.

The NHL was forever changed the day that Brett Hull was allowed to score a Stanley Cup winning goal standing IN DOM HASEK'S CREASE and all Osama Bin Laden and the Mullah Omar did was change the rule book to make it legal.

The NHL was forever changed the day that John Leclair was allowed to score a goal THROUGH THE SIDE of Buffalo's goal in the playoffs. Not the legal way through the front, over the goal line, and between the pipes, THROUGH THE SIDE OF BUFFALO'S GOAL.

Goalies are now fair game in their own creases or out of them.

THIS my friends is the NEW NHL brought to you by the Iraqi Information Minister.

:dance:

Umm, it's the fans and NHL brass that don't like giving refs discretion.

Just my own opinion....but Ref discretion is a joke! I know I am bias, but it seems like the Devils get screwed

more often than not. I like the Delay of Game automatic minor. That's the easiest penalty to call and it goes both ways.

Lets be honest here folks. Marty played subpar hockey vs. the Rangers. He was way out of the net and out of position and let in a lot of soft goals. Most notably to Marc Staal and completely let him off the hook for his Madden OT GWG gaffe.

I counted a couple of soft goals, but for the most part his D left him high and dry. Poor passing, turn overs and not clearing the front of the net will kill a GAA.

Speaking of Goalie interference. Anyone see Huet laying in the trapezoid crying while the Flyhers scored their 2nd in their decisive game 7?

WOW WOW WOW!! He was in the crease and got RUN OVER and knocked 4 feet out of the crease while the Flyhers put there 2nd goal into the abandoned net.

WOW! Guess the puck was there, and the Flyher used a D-man as padding for the collision, so it wasn't a penalty. :D

Edited by Masked Fan

Speaking of Goalie interference. Anyone see Huet laying in the trapezoid crying while the Flyhers scored their 2nd in their decisive game 7?

WOW WOW WOW!! He was in the crease and got RUN OVER and knocked 4 feet out of the crease while the Flyhers put there 2nd goal into the abandoned net.

WOW! Guess the puck was there, and the Flyher used a D-man as padding for the collision, so it wasn't a penalty. :D

Yeah it costed the Capitals Game 7 and a trip to Round 2. Devorski should be castrated by making no interference call. It was a bad non call and it costed the Capitals the game. It should have been 2-1 Capitals win in regulation. :angry:

That was awful. I would think that at the very least, they would have waived off the goal.

Yeah it costed the Capitals Game 7 and a trip to Round 2. Devorski should be castrated by making no interference call. It was a bad non call and it costed the Capitals the game. It should have been 2-1 Capitals win in regulation. :angry:

Indeed. I think that was probably the worst call I've seen in this whole first round. I forget which game it was but Kozlov got pushed into Biron and they called it a penalty there. Here the Caps got screwed again.

Indeed. I think that was probably the worst call I've seen in this whole first round. I forget which game it was but Kozlov got pushed into Biron and they called it a penalty there. Here the Caps got screwed again.

Here's my 2 cents, because I just have to share...

Mkae the crease 6 inches bigger. If the goalie has so much as an eyelash in the crease and someone touches them, goalie interference. There should be the usual stipulations, like if a player pushed them in to the goal, but if a player is standing at the crease and someone comes flying in and bumps the goalie because they had no other choice since the player was standing there, 2 mins for interference.

Outside of that crease, the goalie is fair game.

My next rule change as acting commish would be to get rid of the freaking tyrapizoid because it serves no legit purpose whatsoever and nix the instigator rule. You take a run at my goalie, I take a run at your head. This would be the end-all be-all of guys like Sean Avery and his idiotic ways.

Incidentally, I don't remember the article, but I just read somewhere that Avery was called in to principal Bettmen's office after Round1 to discuss his behavior while in school... :rofl:

It was just terrible and I am sure the Capitals fans are not happy right now as their team should have wom last night 2-1. Capitals got screwed and their season is over by a bad non call on the ice. Just a shame that Devorski went on and ruined a good run by the Capitals and to lose on that play is just embarrassing and it needs to be called more now than ever.

Outside of that crease, the goalie is fair game.

I've ALWAYS felt that if the goalie comes out of the crease he should expect to get hit. I hate forecheckers having to ease up to avoid a goalie. If you can't get to the puck w/o getting hit, stay in yer crease!!

The new NHL should be all for it, since it would keep the goalie from playing the puck more than the trapizoid does, and it would probably lead to more goals while the Goalie picked himself up after being checked.

BTW I went back and looked at the Huet leveling again. It was Patrick Thoresen running into Shaone Morrisonn who inturn fell into Huet. Tough noncall there, but smart hit by Thoresen, you could see him calculate the hit too. smart ... brains...

Edited by Masked Fan

That's too black-and-white to work. Goons would be deliberately running the goalie once he stepped out of the crease an inch.

ok, .... but the normal checking rules would apply. puck better be near by.