Sign in to follow this  
CMONPETEYD

Why Pandolfo should be let free

Exactly.

Take off the rose colored glasses and stop making excuses for White. Salvador was playing with a broken leg and he didnt look nearly as bad as White. He looked totally lost out there. We had 9 d-men. If he was going to be so ineffective then he should not have played. Like I said earlier, before the eye injury, I had no problems with White and was very happy with how he played. But he has been very bad this season and in the playoffs. Someone earlier said he is great and that is just silly. He is a bottom pairing d-man but if he can adjust better to the eye next season I will be fine with him being on the roster.

he isn't a bottom pairing defenseman.

salvador made his mistakes too, they just didn't end up in the back of the net.

it didn't help that white was paired with a guy who makes all his mistakes stand out, the AHL All-Star Mike Mottau.

If locker room chemistry means anything to anybody than Pandolfo should stay. This guy is loved in there.

I can't see Pandolfo getiing any more than 1.5 a year if that.

Take off the rose colored glasses and stop making excuses for White. Salvador was playing with a broken leg and he didnt look nearly as bad as White. He looked totally lost out there. We had 9 d-men. If he was going to be so ineffective then he should not have played. Like I said earlier, before the eye injury, I had no problems with White and was very happy with how he played. But he has been very bad this season and in the playoffs. Someone earlier said he is great and that is just silly. He is a bottom pairing d-man but if he can adjust better to the eye next season I will be fine with him being on the roster.

:hail:

it didn't help that white was paired with a guy who makes all his mistakes stand out, the AHL All-Star Mike Mottau.

Nail on the head.

Pando will either get the 2.2 or so a year from Lou (in which case, sarge is a gonner), or, his buddy across the river will convince rag management to pay $3 mil a year for him, Pando will go be gomer's locker buddy again, and we'll have sergei bryling signed to a 1.8 to 2.0 mil/year contract.

btw, not that gomer is worth quite what the rag's gave him, but, i do remember a lot of people on this board saying he wasn't worth 5 mil and good riddence to him etc. - so after a season withouth his 50 or so assists, how bad do elias and gionta look now? Think we could have used some of his playmaking? Well, after a season without Pando's penalty killing and top line shut down play - and him doing it with very few penalty minutes taken - we'll all be thinking about him in a different light too.

I don't think anyone would miss white if lou found a taker for him.

So wait, Pando is irreplaceable but White is no problem to lose? :lol: A solid defenseman like White is a lot harder to find than a hard working, finesse defensive winger. It would be great if the Rangers signed Pando for 3 million, let them be the fools to do that. And why would the Devils sign Brylin for that much money? He isn't even worth the 1.5 million option that he has so either Brylin exercises the option or the Devils extend his contract for less than that.

Edit: Also, the Devils should try to get rid of White at 3 million but would be crazy to let Pando walk somewhere to get 3 million? That is crazy in itself.

how bad do elias and gionta look now?

Elias had 21 goals last year and 20 goals this season, doesn't seem like a huge goal scoring change to me. The offensive missed Rafalski more than it missed Gomez, IMO.

Edited by Devils731

Colin White is signed to a much better deal than players like Jay McKee and Cory Sarich - and those are guys signed in offseasons past. Someone like Jason Smith and Mike Commodore will get crazy money compared to White.

This decline of White's is basically worst-case scenario and the contract is still not that bad - he's regressed from a passable #2 to a decent #4 with the eye injury. Still, he's not taking as many dumb penalties, either, which is what this board always killed him for. Hell, he and Pandolfo almost had the same PIM per game - who would've expected that?

also new jersey will not miss pandolfo. 'top line shutdown' is not irreplacable, and top penalty killer even less so. pandolfo is not worth that much to new jersey - you have to factor in all the goals he's taking off the board for new jersey. he's probably worth 1 win a year or so. he's a 4th line player just about everywhere else in the league.

Edited by Triumph

I fully expect someone to offer Pando more than 2 mil a year.

Then I would say congratulations Pando and I wish you the best with your new team. Rod Pelley you are the teams new checking winger.

be prepared for pandolfo at $2M/year for 3 years.

That's about right.

That's about right.

There is No Pandolfo I want for 6 Mill over 3 yrs.

I'd rather have an offensive guy for that.

Pando will either get the 2.2 or so a year from Lou (in which case, sarge is a gonner), or, his buddy across the river will convince rag management to pay $3 mil a year for him, Pando will go be gomer's locker buddy again, and we'll have sergei bryling signed to a 1.8 to 2.0 mil/year contract.

btw, not that gomer is worth quite what the rag's gave him, but, i do remember a lot of people on this board saying he wasn't worth 5 mil and good riddence to him etc. - so after a season withouth his 50 or so assists, how bad do elias and gionta look now? Think we could have used some of his playmaking? Well, after a season without Pando's penalty killing and top line shut down play - and him doing it with very few penalty minutes taken - we'll all be thinking about him in a different light too.

I don't think anyone would miss white if lou found a taker for him.

You think the Rags will have enough cap space to sign Pando? I think they have higher priority signings then Pando for $3mill per.

I will believe that statement if he gets rid of Colin White.

Dude, I love your signatures and really respect you for them, but (sorry CMONBRENT) CMON AND STOP THE WHITE BASHING.

Dude, I love your signatures and really respect you for them, but (sorry CMONBRENT) CMON AND STOP THE WHITE BASHING.

I am not sitting here just saying"OOOH HE SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH". I am simply stating how I feel he performed this year and because of the eye injury took a major step back this season. A major step back that he may never recover from. For someone to say that he is "great" is just a little silly to me. He was very good and possibly on his way to greatness but he was a shell of his former self this season. I wan't more than anything for him to make me look like a complete idiot next season. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

If Pando gets signed for that kinda crazy money Sergei Brylin HAS to go

it sucks to say, but it's the damn truth

the money needs to be made up somewhere, or it's gonna be the same sub-par team all over again

Brylin is as good as GONE here. No more need for him and his roster spot.

Pandolfo gets re-signed and he is a lot better than Ott IMO.

Pandolfo > Ott.

In Pando's defense, he's been seriously underpaid for years...considering what he would have received in the open market.

I wouldn't be all that heart broken if he and the team moved in different directions. He's lost a step and really doesn't bring anything the table offensively. Forget about the injury as well, because he would have finished with roughly the same numbers anyways. If he takes a home town discount, fine, but I don't think he's worth his true market value.

he isn't a bottom pairing defenseman.

salvador made his mistakes too, they just didn't end up in the back of the net.

Any opportunity huh?

Or could you say that poor Mike had to learn his first NHL season with a guy w/ half his vision and a neew found fear for the puck. I actually like them both, especially for the price tag, but its a circular argument.

Colin White is signed to a much better deal than players like Jay McKee and Cory Sarich - and those are guys signed in offseasons past. Someone like Jason Smith and Mike Commodore will get crazy money compared to White.

This decline of White's is basically worst-case scenario and the contract is still not that bad - he's regressed from a passable #2 to a decent #4 with the eye injury. Still, he's not taking as many dumb penalties, either, which is what this board always killed him for. Hell, he and Pandolfo almost had the same PIM per game - who would've expected that?

also new jersey will not miss pandolfo. 'top line shutdown' is not irreplacable, and top penalty killer even less so. pandolfo is not worth that much to new jersey - you have to factor in all the goals he's taking off the board for new jersey. he's probably worth 1 win a year or so. he's a 4th line player just about everywhere else in the league.

Here, I 100% agree, he may not be a top pair anymore, but he's still worth more of what it will cost to replace him.

A lot of folks here want to boot aplayer out without realizing how much its gonna cost to replace that player in the open market. We do enough of that, and you'll never see another UFA above $2Mil come to NJ again.

Not really big on Steve Ott.I believe alot of the success he's having today are due to the great role players and offcourse team chemistry Dallas has.Giving the chance Dallas struggle and burst into this huge hump Ott will be nowhere to find

Hey just for you guys that were wondering. Steve Ott had 15 mins of Ice time in a 4 OT game last night. When most of your fwds are averaging 40 mins for the game, being on the 4th line and getting 15 mins is hardly worth 1.5 mil.

For the playoffs he avged 6 mins 43 sec per game

No matter how you slice it... Pandolfo again.. avg 17 mins a game under Sutter this season and 19:39 in the playoffs

SOURCE: www.hockey-reference.com

Pando will get a nice raise this year from the Devils. 2 Million per season seems about right. Pando is not a goal scorer (not matter what he did in college), that is not his role on this team.

Let's be realistic here, dont tell me the Rangers wouldnt love to gobble him up. It would serve 2 purposes, splits up Pando and Madden, and Pando would fit in nicely with Drury.

Loyalty is a funny thing when your in the sunset of your career.

If the Rags can guarentee Pando playing with Drury all season can the Devils pay for Pando to play for the Rags?

If the Rags can guarentee Pando playing with Drury all season can the Devils pay for Pando to play for the Rags?

Haha.

Jay Pandolfo averages a ton of ice time. He doesn't do very much with that ice time. He is at once one of the best defensive players and worst offensive players in the league.

Steve Ott isn't going to play a lot in an overtime game but he's valuable too.

Pandolfo had 12 goals and 12 assists in 54 games this year. Before the injury he was leading the Devils in goal scoring. I think with Sutter's de-emphasis of line matching and promotion of a more offensive mentality, Pandolfo can be a successful offensive player in addition to being a defensive stalwart. It would be silly to ditch a Selke-caliber defensive forward who is capable of 15/15/30, perhaps more. There won't be any better bargains in UFA and the Devils don't have many players to fill Pandolfo's role. Vrana might fit, but beyond that there isn't much (Pelley is no more than a fourth liner/spare). As long as his contract runs no higher than $2M, I have no problem with keeping him around.