Pens lost game 4 on purpose????

Devil Fan

IMO, it is hard to investigate whether the Pens plan this or not. However, if this is what the Pens truly want because of revenue, they lose all my respect.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08124/878763-194.stm

The Pens losing games on purpose is nothing new. They lost the last game of the season on purpose so they could draw the Senators... they lost the last game of the season so that we couldn't get Mario Lemieux. Losing on purpose in the playoffs wouldn't surprise me in the least. They toyed with the Rangers for the first three games and then get dominated in Game 4. Something smelled. Bot not as bad as the last game of the regular season when they put their fourth line out for all 7 powerplays.

I know the Pens have thrown games before but it would be really, really stupid to throw a playoff game because, as the Flyers found out in 2000, you never know (not that they threw a game, but they thought they had 3 games to close NJ out and they didn't play all that hard in Game 5 in Philly). It's unlikely that they will blow a 3-0 series lead, but it has happened before. They are guaranteed income from home games in Rd. 3. They just aren't that stupid. Really, they aren't. When they have thrown games before, it has been for reasons other than (directly, immediately) money. Saving the franchise is money, yes, but not as crass as just another home game in a playoff round. That's stupid.

I don't get why this was posted, it's just a speculative editorial. Nobody's dumb enough to even think of blowing a playoff game and as much as I don't like the Rangers they're not a trash team. You can't give them any extra life.

And if the Penguins were that concerned about money they would have tried to win the final game of the season and guaranteed home-ice throughout the East playoffs.

The goal in the early rounds of the playoffs is to the win the series in as few games as possible. So the team is fresher in the later rounds. Get to the next round rested. The ticket prices usually go up in the semifinal round. B ) The Penguins won 7 playoff games in a row they were bound to lose sometime.

BTW that was worst penalty shot attempt I've ever seen. Too slow and straight in on the goaltender with no dekes. Lundquist didn't even have to move! That had as much to do with deflating the Penguins and causing them to lose than any monetary conspiracy theory.

BTW that was worst penalty shot attempt I've ever seen. Too slow and straight in on the goaltender with no dekes. Lundquist didn't even have to move! That had as much to do with deflating the Penguins and causing them to lose than any monetary conspiracy theory.

TOTALLY!!!

I screamed and cursed that play out for an hour in the bar!!

I don't get for ONE second why players do the slow-down thing on the penalty shots, it really does nothing but help the goaltender and give him more time to be set and react.... go in full speed make the goalie think FAST

I'd rather face the walk in play EVERY time personally :P

TOTALLY!!!

I screamed and cursed that play out for an hour in the bar!!

I don't get for ONE second why players do the slow-down thing on the penalty shots, it really does nothing but help the goaltender and give him more time to be set and react.... go in full speed make the goalie think FAST

I'd rather face the walk in play EVERY time personally :P

Depends on what you plan on doing though. If you feel you can perfectly place your shot then going slow skating in will slow the goalies reaction time in most cases because he muscles will start to slowly tighten up. The goal in going in slow is actually to make the goalie start to think and give the goalie more time to overthink the situation and freeze himself out.

Depends on what you plan on doing though. If you feel you can perfectly place your shot then going slow skating in will slow the goalies reaction time in most cases because he muscles will start to slowly tighten up. The goal in going in slow is actually to make the goalie start to think and give the goalie more time to overthink the situation and freeze himself out.

Well I'm saying from goalie's point of view, I'd rather see slow motion then have to make the full-speed reaction EVERY time

More so when it comes at the level these guys are at... it's just not the best of approaches, from my opinon....

I don't believe they did, but I do believe NBC is VERY happy there is a game 5 to air :P

Absolutely, and why they SHOULD be happy is to showcase the BEST player on Pittsburgh is Malkin, but of course, Bettman will NOT allow us to think that way :rolleyes:

They did not lose on purpose. The players make the same amount of money whether the series is 4 games long or 5. They are not going to intentionally lose a game so the franchise can make extra money that they are not going to see a dime of.

Well I'm saying from goalie's point of view, I'd rather see slow motion then have to make the full-speed reaction EVERY time

More so when it comes at the level these guys are at... it's just not the best of approaches, from my opinon....

Oh I hear you, it's all personal preference. I'm sure some goalies love the guy coming in slow and some hate it. I was just saying the theory behind going in slow. When a goalie is reacting to a play his reflexes are going at their quickest, when he is thinking about the play the brain is getting in the way of the reflexes slightly. I was thinking it actually makes more sense to do at the highest level since goalie reflexes and positioning are so good at the NHL level while at lower levels goalies are more likely to make mistakes due to the lack of time.

What a ridiculously stupid thought. There is no way in hell they would intentionally lose the game on purpose. Even if the owners wanted them to so they could make a few more million, as mentioned before, the players and coaches make the same amount. So if the Penguins coaching staff was told to lose the game on purpose, I seriously doubt they and the players would just go, "Okay sounds good to me."

Seriouslly?

You break the "trade" bank for Hossa, your running undefeated with a shot at continuing that record of success - a possibility of running the table(remote), and throw it on purpose?

For real guys?

The Penguins did everything they possibly could to score but Henrik was just on for game 4.

And to defend Malkin, there was a very long break to review that goal before his attempt, he probably just had too much time to think about what he was going to do plus the it was at the end of the period and the ice was a mess, that is why he probably didn't come in fast and do any dekes.

Then why didn't they do that in the first round? Was Ottawa so bad that the Penguins still beat them even when they were trying not to?

Seriously they probably could have......