Jaromir Jagr

oconnellrules

While I should have more hate for him than I do; I can do nothing but respect the career that Jags has put together. I watched a lot of Ranger games this year (for whatever reason, just a hockey fan I guess) and while he has definitely lost a step he is still a marquee player. I have no doubt in my mind he can be productive for 4 more years (like he said he intends to do) in the right situation. He still handles/protects the puck as good as anyone in the NHL and maybe has the most hockey sense. And we all saw how he can play when he really turns it on and is hungry; 15 pts in 10 playoff games when you are the only consistent player on your team is very impressive.

On the other hand you saw this year that his style of play may have worn itself out. The Rags were loaded with weapons and had a terrible PP. Now from what I heard this is direct result of Jagrs stubborn "do it my way" attitude that he has always had. Well Jaromir, it didnt work all season and it got you ousted from the playoffs in embarassing fashion after higher expectations got even higher when you beat your cross river rivals in a neat 5 game series.

All in all, much respect to Jagr. Good luck playing for Omsk because at age 36 big money will make you happy.

I thought this thread was going to rationalize why Lou might make an effort to sign him. Pens put Hal fricken Gill & he did a great job to contain him. Colin White sure as hell didn't do it. I doubt the rag$ will sign him, and they will be a more pedestrian team because of it. If he can't play on broadway, he won't play in the nhl.

Actually, I would not be surprised if both Straka and Jagr signed with the Cap to have one last go-around with Nylander.

Caps fans hate Jagr more than anyone else in nhl,so I don't think he'll go there again

Jagr's biggest knock for years (and the reason he's never won after Mario faded) is because he's way too soft for his size. The clear game plan to take Jagr out of any series is to hit him. Yes he can take the hits but after 1-2 games of it he starts to turn away from being hit and eventually refuses to go into corners. Then since he's usually the "leader" of the team he tries to play the European style of play and that NEVER works in the Stanley Cup playoffs on a smaller rink.

Rags will most def find a way to sign him. Guarantee it.

Most of the hockey "experts" are predicting Jagr to Russia and the captaincy to Drury to start a new era in NY.

The Rags no longer have the luxury of having Washington pay a portion of his salary and they can't afford him at the $8.3 million he got last year.

Jagr has most certainly played his last game in NY. There's no way they will pay the $$ he wants especially with the big signings they have had this past year.

More importantly, Jagr does not fit into their style any more. He is a half-court player on a team that is attempting to remake itself into a end-to-end speed team. He doesn't have the wheels to keep up.

Look for someone to have interest in him (Toronto? Boston?) but he will not earn more than his current contract.

I for one will be happy as hell if he signs somewhere other than the rags. He's not the totally dominant player he once was, but there's not many guys in NHL history that could change a game with one shift like he could. And 15 points in 10 playoff games is no accident...he's still an elite player.

Jagr's biggest knock for years (and the reason he's never won after Mario faded) is because he's way too soft for his size. The clear game plan to take Jagr out of any series is to hit him. Yes he can take the hits but after 1-2 games of it he starts to turn away from being hit and eventually refuses to go into corners. Then since he's usually the "leader" of the team he tries to play the European style of play and that NEVER works in the Stanley Cup playoffs on a smaller rink.

...and it didn't work this year, and hasn't worked in previous years. he was excellent in this year's playoffs.

jagr isn't going to get 8 million dollars from anyone, omsk or otherwise. he'll get like 5-6.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Red and Black for 2y @ $5 per, but that is not realistic.

...nor would I. The Devils seem perfect for him. No burden of being captain, no NY spotlight, no expectations, (come here, get your 24-27 goals, we're cool with that) no real pressure what-so-ever.

I can't believe I am reading this. The Rags invested about $20 million last season picking up Drury and Gomez to help his production and he was awful. We have NO ONE that will compliment him upfront, so for $5 million this would be a bad investment.

I can't believe I am reading this. The Rags invested about $20 million last season picking up Drury and Gomez to help his production and he was awful. We have NO ONE that will compliment him upfront, so for $5 million this would be a bad investment.

I don't think player complement Jagr but he can complement others. Jagr doesn't need guys to set him up really, he sets himself up, and draws opponents to him. Possible good combinations with Jagr on the Devils would be Langs, Zubrus, Parise, and Gionta. Zubrus especially would probably mesh well since he has a good shot, wins battles on the board, but has problems getting open which a player like Jagr would help with.

I don't think player complement Jagr but he can complement others. Jagr doesn't need guys to set him up really, he sets himself up, and draws opponents to him. Possible good combinations with Jagr on the Devils would be Langs, Zubrus, Parise, and Gionta. Zubrus especially would probably mesh well since he has a good shot, wins battles on the board, but has problems getting open which a player like Jagr would help with.

His best years have been with Nylander and Straka, without them he has sulked and saw a drop in production.

I can't beleive I'm about to say this but, Dev731 is 100% right. Jagr on the Devils instantly takes the bulls'eye(s) off guys like Zubrus, Elias, Parise, Gio, etc. and gives them more room to be themselves. The thing this team is missing is a vet leader. (and it wouldn't hurt to stick it to the Rags & pluck away their captain in the proccess either) :kill:

Edited by Beezer34

I can't beleive I'm about to say this but, Dev731 is 100% right. Jagr on the Devils instantly takes the bulls'eye(s) off guys like Zubrus, Elias, Parise, Gio, etc. and gives them more room to be themselves. The thing this team is missing is a vet leader. (and it wouldn't hurt to stick it to the Rags & pluck away their captain in the proccess either) :kill:

...all as long as the price is right, which it probably wont be. At the right price, any team would benefit from Jagr, but I highly doubt his asking price, in dollars or in years, will be worth the investment.

Then again, I am conditioned, as a Devils fan, to know we will never sign the big free agents...fine...I'll admit it :D

He scored 71 points.....sure that is under par for Jagr, but it is better than anyone on the Devils. Plus we pretty much shut him down every game we played the Rags. I think he had points in only two games he played against the Devils.

I still don't agree with keeping Patti at Center, but imagine a line like Parise/Patti/Jagr. For $5 a season that would create a sick line!