Good News for NHL

Beezer34

To be honest, I wasn't saying ESPN was the way to go, I was just saying Versus just doesn't have the coverage that other networks have. The NHL knows it, but the money they took in keeps them quiet. Just look at the TV records from the last All-Star game. I think the stat was something like 10% TV viewership from the previous all-star game?

I don't know if this is feasable, but what about more network coverage? I'll be honest, the only thing I like about NBC's coverage is Doc.

Edited by njdevils_info

The NHL should make an arrangement with both ESPN and VS similar to the NBA's with ESPN and TNT.

Like it or not Sportcenter leads the way in terms of US sports coverage and ESPN has famously whored out SportsCenter to the NBA, college basketball, and Monday Night Football specifically to suit its own needs. ESPN didn't pay attention to UFC until it signed a contract. If the NHL were to even get a single game every week on ESPN2 it would mean more coverage on SportsCenter and a return of normal hockey highlights to mainstream American audiences.

One of the complaints I have the most about hockey coverage is its the same 6 announcers no matter what network you may be watching. The NHL desperately needs new blood in the announcing booth. Get Keith Jones out of the studio and doing color, get Roenick to retire and doing color, get cameos by other sports stars in the booth not for 2 minutes but instead for a whole period. They showed Ben Rothlesberger in Lemieux's box last night. I'm sure a graduate of Miami of Ohio knows a little something about hockey.

Edited by mdsieve

We should be on the USA network, I don't know why the NHL doesn't look into this further. MLB's on TBS, NBA's on TNT, it just makes sence. NBC owns USA. The NHL should request an extension to go on their sister station, say at least 12 games a season.

*Also: I wonder if it's the NBC deal that's keeping us from ESPN. Maybe NBC frowns on the league going to a rival. (ESPN = ABC) From what I've seen, it looks like ESPN wants us back big time, they've done alot of hockey coverage on many of their shows. (Around the Horn, PTI, Sportscenter, etc..)

Never in a million years would I have considered NY to be the biggest tv market in the NHL. NYC is a baseball town, then there is a massive dropoff to football and basketball, hockey is dead last.

And lets leave college sports out of this equation, there are no big colleges in the tri-state area, the closest being Penn State.

Rutgers, my friend.

Rutgers, my friend.

he said BIG colleges (in the context of sports :P)

and no matter what they think or try to act like (and I'D KNOW THIS after the last 3 years)... Rutgers is NOT a big time college sports haven!

Never in a million years would I have considered NY to be the biggest tv market in the NHL. NYC is a baseball town, then there is a massive dropoff to football and basketball, hockey is dead last.

I think the biggest tv market for the NHL would be Ontario..the GTA!