Things to bring in more fans

sammy32

Have more SGA at the Rock the fans will come. It's sad but true. People and fans love getting stuff for free at the games.

Also have some kind of family packages at the game like a Hot Dog or two and soda for a good price or some other food specials like I have seen in other arena's and stadiums.

Not gonna lie, signing Miroslav Satan would be the best publicity signing ever. The cost is a roster spot, but I was talking to some non-hockey fan friends who said they'd come to a few games and buy a Satan Devils jersey. That's all we really need.

There are a few things, but barring a massive boom in housing in Newark we won't be selling out every game.

Something that would help is lowering ticket prices and then actually advertising the fact that they lowered ticket prices. Hell, even if they let ordinary (read: not forum posting devils fans) know about the deals they offer online it would help a little. Seriously, I haven't paid full price for Devils tickets in years and, in all honesty, I would gladly pay full price to watch them when I'm home for a weekend.

They also have a lot working against them.

Strike one: the Rangers have a 56 year lead on hockey fans in the NJ area. The Flyers have a 15 year lead. To expect people to immediately turn on their team and root for the Devils is unrealistic. Even so, the Devils have a sizable fan base as evidenced by our many sellouts over the years.

Strike two: What doesn't help is that there are a countless (ie I'm not even going to try to count them all) number of Professional and Minor League teams in our area and New Jersey has no special connection to Hockey like those in the north. You know, where it actually snows.

Strike three: New Jersey has a high rate of migration to other states. A great number of native Jerseyans leave for greener, or cheaper, pastures. I know that I don't plan on living in NJ after I finish school. Evidence of the high number of Devils fan moving out of state may come from the fact that they are 9th in road attendance. Though it could just be incidental, as the Devils have been amazing for the last 15 years and have one of the greatest goaltenders of all time. But who can know for sure?

Also adding Satan can't hurt.

There are a few things, but barring a massive boom in housing in Newark we won't be selling out every game.

Something that would help is lowering ticket prices and then actually advertising the fact that they lowered ticket prices. Hell, even if they let ordinary (read: not forum posting devils fans) know about the deals they offer online it would help a little. Seriously, I haven't paid full price for Devils tickets in years and, in all honesty, I would gladly pay full price to watch them when I'm home for a weekend.

They also have a lot working against them.

Strike one: the Rangers have a 56 year lead on hockey fans in the NJ area. The Flyers have a 15 year lead. To expect people to immediately turn on their team and root for the Devils is unrealistic. Even so, the Devils have a sizable fan base as evidenced by our many sellouts over the years.

Strike two: What doesn't help is that there are a countless (ie I'm not even going to try to count them all) number of Professional and Minor League teams in our area and New Jersey has no special connection to Hockey like those in the north. You know, where it actually snows.

Strike three: New Jersey has a high rate of migration to other states. A great number of native Jerseyans leave for greener, or cheaper, pastures. I know that I don't plan on living in NJ after I finish school. Evidence of the high number of Devils fan moving out of state may come from the fact that they are 9th in road attendance. Though it could just be incidental, as the Devils have been amazing for the last 15 years and have one of the greatest goaltenders of all time. But who can know for sure?

Also adding Satan can't hurt.

I like you, your posts are often of a high quality.

As far as attracting more fans, marketing is the golden ticket that the Devils just don't possess. I understand the thinking as to why there aren't quite so many cheese, almost minor-league-ish promotions; but if you do them, and advertise the fact, you'll get people to come. I hope that they just assumed people would come for the new arena this year, and are planning on building the promotional schedule up a little bit next year, 'cause for the last two years they've been pretty sad.

Well I was talking with Jeff Vanderbeek and he said they are trying to make the upper deck have wider seats and I think he has already done that but he said he can't lower the prices until tthey start to fill the stadium because they need the $ because of the new stadium but we will see as more people start to go and they try to attract more people, I know Jeff would love to heard your suggestions

Not gonna lie, signing Miroslav Satan would be the best publicity signing ever. The cost is a roster spot, but I was talking to some non-hockey fan friends who said they'd come to a few games and buy a Satan Devils jersey. That's all we really need.

I'm still really hoping that this is a joke.

This board will fry Miro and the novelty will wear off in one or two games.

I agree w/SD, some better promotions would help. The Modell's kid jersey was great. How about more bobbleheads or some kind of cool collectaible other than a poster.

Even though they suck (and probably because of which), Kings management sells some discount packages to companies who resell in cool promotional vouchers. This year my voucher (COST: $50.00) contained 2 Free Tickets (any game), and 6 Buy One get One Free (regulated games) tickets. Sure works if it beefs up attendance at some of the less popular team franchise games.

I think a big signing this summer would help significantly. We can't expect: Rachunek, Zubrus, VV to pack seats. Fact is people have become spoiled w/talent like Brodeur. :noclue:

I think the Rock is in the wrong location for Devils fans. I believe more fans live in central/lower Jersey and for them to make a 7pm puck time from downstate on a weeknight is probably too much to ask. I think promotions is a great idea. I am a Devils collector and more stuff to add to my collection is always good. Marketing is also a good idea. MAybe get the players to appear at stores or malls in the area, signing autographs, handing out tshirts and such would drum up intrest in the team as well. Above all, a winning team will always bring out the fans.

I think the Rock is in the wrong location for Devils fans. I believe more fans live in central/lower Jersey and for them to make a 7pm puck time from downstate on a weeknight is probably too much to ask. I think promotions is a great idea. I am a Devils collector and more stuff to add to my collection is always good. Marketing is also a good idea. MAybe get the players to appear at stores or malls in the area, signing autographs, handing out tshirts and such would drum up intrest in the team as well. Above all, a winning team will always bring out the fans.

Funny you mention that since the majorty of people who use mass transit to games are from central NJ. South Jersey is mostly Philly territory. And if Freehold, NB, Edison, or Trenton was the largest city in the state with one of the largest mass transit hubs in the east coast, I would agree with you. They shoulda built it in one of those places. But they're not. Big deal.

To the OP, this ain't Canada or Minnesota. We're not selling out or fill the place out every night. The Stanley Cup champs didn't so what makes you think we will? But to improve the gate(although the team had the second highest jump in ticket revenue in case you people forgot), they need to:

Get a star player or someone with an offense threat

Market the team dangit.

Lower the upper deck/goalie prices

Finally, win a couple of Cups soon or at least compete for them.

but he said he can't lower the prices until tthey start to fill the stadium because they need the $ because of the new stadium

If they "filled" the stadium they would raise prices because there is a demand.

Edited by Marv4Life

Most people in south jersey aren't devils fans anyway. Sadly, changing the game to 7:30 won't change that and to be honest I don't blame them. If you live 20 minutes away from the Flyers arena there is no reason to drive over an hour to go to a Devils game.

I consider myself in Central Jersey (take the train from Fanwood to Newark) and I think its in a great location. Helluva lot easier than the CAA. I agree with the previous posters, most people in South Jersey from my experience visiting relatives down there are Flyer fans. I would like to see a 7:30 start time though. I mean, I can get there on time for the 7PM start, but I always miss the pre-game skate which I like to watch and I notice a lot of people walking in during the first period. I don't see how moving the start time back could hurt.

I consider myself in Central Jersey (take the train from Fanwood to Newark) and I think its in a great location. Helluva lot easier than the CAA. I agree with the previous posters, most people in South Jersey from my experience visiting relatives down there are Flyer fans. I would like to see a 7:30 start time though. I mean, I can get there on time for the 7PM start, but I always miss the pre-game skate which I like to watch and I notice a lot of people walking in during the first period. I don't see how moving the start time back could hurt.

It could hurt those who'd prefer to beout earlier. Honestly, I liked the 7:30 start times better, but on the same token, it was pretty nice to be home by 10:30 (or even 10 some nights) when I had work in the morning.

Do you live in Fanwood? I've a friend who works there...nice place.

I don't know if this would be an incentive for fans...but the Atlanta Thrashers held a genius promotion a few years back where anyone coming in to watch a game could trade in an opposing team's jersey for a new (replica) Thrashers home or away jersey.

This was a great way to convert the "transplants" from other states and also help with creating a friendly looking atmosphere inside Blueland. Maybe the Devils could look into doing something like this. At least we would get more red in the seats during games.

On a side note, a friend of mine took advantage of the Thrashers jersey promotion and traded in his rags one. I applauded his decision.

It could hurt those who'd prefer to beout earlier. Honestly, I liked the 7:30 start times better, but on the same token, it was pretty nice to be home by 10:30 (or even 10 some nights) when I had work in the morning.

Do you live in Fanwood? I've a friend who works there...nice place.

Thats true.

I live in Watchung and work in Scotch Plains, so what I normally do is just drive 1 minute from work and I'm at the train station. It's a pretty sweet deal.

On a side note, a friend of mine took advantage of the Thrashers jersey promotion and traded in his rags one. I applauded his decision.

I applaude his decision as well.

I'm still really hoping that this is a joke.

This board will fry Miro and the novelty will wear off in one or two games.

I agree w/SD, some better promotions would help. The Modell's kid jersey was great. How about more bobbleheads or some kind of cool collectaible other than a poster.

Even though they suck (and probably because of which), Kings management sells some discount packages to companies who resell in cool promotional vouchers. This year my voucher (COST: $50.00) contained 2 Free Tickets (any game), and 6 Buy One get One Free (regulated games) tickets. Sure works if it beefs up attendance at some of the less popular team franchise games.

I think a big signing this summer would help significantly. We can't expect: Rachunek, Zubrus, VV to pack seats. Fact is people have become spoiled w/talent like Brodeur. :noclue:

Promotions are a big draw no matter what the SGA is. More giveaways the more the fans will come out and buy tickets to the games. It is sad but true.

Devils and Lou also need to go out and get a bigtime player once and for all and that will bring attention to the fans to fill the seats. Marian Hossa would be a good one along with Malone, Satan (believe it or not), Liles, Campbell, Rolston etc. Players like Hossa do not come around this often. He was Pittsburgh in these playoffs leading them with 12 goals in the playoffs. He is a bigtime player and at the right time which is in the playoffs. I want to see Lou and the Devils go out and get Hossa at ANY cost! This is a type player the Devils and the fans need to draw the crowds. It has been a longtime and overdue here for Lou and the Devils and they have the money to spend in this off season.

Most people in south jersey aren't devils fans anyway. Sadly, changing the game to 7:30 won't change that and to be honest I don't blame them. If you live 20 minutes away from the Flyers arena there is no reason to drive over an hour to go to a Devils game.

While you are probably right, I feel I have to object just on principle. I deal with the Phailure dillweed fans constantly and it sucks. We need more Devs fans in SJ.

While you are probably right, I feel I have to object just on principle. I deal with the Phailure dillweed fans constantly and it sucks. We need more Devs fans in SJ.

I think no matter where they put The Rock in NJ we would still be the (oft overlooked) little brother of the 2 huge markets. Unfortunately we will always have to compete with Philly and NYC in the area of sports. If its any consolation though...NJ technically has two NFL teams right along with the Devils. I mean, its where you play, not what it says your name is right? Anyone? Hello?

:whistling:

Because, y'know, no one's ever heard of that Martin Brodeur guy.

Obviously Rowdy we all know Brodeur is an attraction but I was meaning a top flight goal scorer with that big name in the NHL.

Brodeur I am sure puts fans in the seats but people and fans like to see SCORING since that is what the "new" NHL is all about now. I myself like the low scoring goaltending duels especially the way Brodeur played this season. That is not what the NHL wants though. :noclue: It is all about scoring now.