Over the Years: MARKETING & PROMOTION THREAD

DevilinLA

IDK if this has been posted but I think that they should wear the Christmas Tree jerseys around Christmas and St.Patricks Day, and sell the apparel and give out promotions in those colors around those times of year. Then I think that they should give out red "Rock Your Red" t-shirts and towels.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay everyone - here is a summary list of everyone's suggestions so far. Once again, I'm sending this Friday, so if I've left anything out or you have more suggestions - please go ahead and add in.

Remember, this is just a summary list. I will post the actual letter on Friday.

Most Successful Promotions(Things We Really Liked Over the Years):

1.) Dollar Soda/Hot Dogs Deal. Great promotion and got a good turnout for a game against the PHX Coyotes

2.) Commemrative Prints for both Opening and Scott Stevens Night

3.) Stanley Cup Mini Banners

4.) Cup and Banner Raising Nights

5.) Ken Daneyko Bobblehead Night

6.) Life Size Chico Posters (circa 1984)

7.) Magnetic Schedule Night

8.) Free Rally Towels (no Thundersticks)

9.) Free Microwavable Mugs (sponsored w/ Campbells Soup)

10.) Devils Christmas Ornaments Night

11.) Devils Six-Pack Cooler Bag Night

12.) Devils Duffle Bag Night

13.) Devils Wig Night

14.) St. Patrick Day Cup Night (circa 2003 vs. Bruins)

15. ) Rock Your Red T-Shirts

16.) Modell's Kid Jersey Day

17.) STH Skate Time

Future Promotions Ideas (Things we would like to see):

1.) Throwback Devils Lineage night (Scouts, Rockies Christmas Jersies)

2.) Free Puck Giveaway Night

3.) More BOBBLEHEADS!!!

4.) Fair Ticket Pricing on Partial Plans vs. Single Ticket Seating (Reward Loyalty)

5.) Free/Discount Glenn "Chico" Resch Cheesteak Night Deals

6.) More frequent ice-girl T-shirt launches to crowd

7.) Foam Fingers

8.) Less Dancing Girls Time

9.) More Television Commercial Advertising Promoting the Team

10.) More Marketing utilizing Individual Player personalities to Market the Team (especially Marty)

11.) More giveaways in general to encourage consistent game attendance (ala NY Yankees)

12.) More BOBBLEHEADS - again! - especially the NJ Devil Mascot

13.) Devils History Night - Wear your Christmas Tree Jersey night during the Christmas season or St. Pats.(including Vintage Replica Merchandise on Sale for those nights)

14.) A DEFINATE "CELEBRATE DOC EMMERICK night" - ceremony and all - to commemorate his induction honor and team service over the years. (there is a boblehead ripe for the making right here!)

Have at it!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Edited by DevilinLA

Okay everyone - here is a summary list of everyone's suggestions so far. Once again, I'm sending this Friday, so if I've left anything out or you have more suggestions - please go ahead and add in.

1.) Dollar Soda/Hot Dogs Deal. Great promotion and got a good turnout for a game against the PHX Coyotes

13.) Devils Wig Night

17.) STH Skate Time

3.) More BOBBLEHEADS!!!

4.) Fair Ticket Pricing on Partial Plans vs. Single Ticket Seating (Reward Loyalty)

7.) Foam Fingers

10.) More Marketing utilizing Individual Player personalities to Market the Team (especially Marty)

11.) More giveaways in general to encourage consistent game attendance (ala NY Yankees)

13.) Devils History Night - Wear your Christmas Tree Jersey night during the Christmas season or St. Pats.(including Vintage Replica Merchandise on Sale for those nights)

14.) A DEFINATE "CELEBRATE DOC EMMERICK night" - ceremony and all - to commemorate his induction honor and team service over the years. (there is a boblehead ripe for the making right here!)

Great list LA! They also had a commemorative poster on Fan Appreciation Night (4-3 against Boston). And I liked the Fan Appreciation nights as well. Last year's was better than this years, though. How about a Prudential Center Replica Night? I'd like to see that.

Edited by The Rock 07

Here you go LA. Just in your email, could you please mention the D-Backs and that I got the ideas from them incase the Devils want to contact them.

Here are some of my ideas. Play off of the Devils Legion and have a Devils Legion fanclub with ticket offers and a fan package with a t-shirt and hat or what ever. Also, the Devils need a theme song. Last year the D-Backs (My team) made a theme song by a local Phoenix band (Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers) that has been a hit around The Valley. D-Backs Swing It also gets stuck in peoples' heads and then they think of the D-Backs. Just off the top of my head...

"We are New Jersey. We are New Jersey. We win the games, we win the cups; that's the Devils' Duty! The Devils' Duty!" and then have another strand of lines. Then "Let's Go New Jer-sey! Let's Go New Jer-sey! We are the Jersey Devils!"

Then I would have commercials and promotions playing off of current events. Like in November play off of the New James Bond Movie and in another month, have NJ Devil's birthday.

Also, we have to make some traditions that we can get the kids into. Like the D-Backs play this one organ song then everybody sticks their arms in the air and one goes up and the other goes down and they alternate them and on the scoreboard it says "Do Da Dance!" with the D-Backs logo as the "D".

Also, the Diamond-Backs also have a family plan pricing where they have inexpensive tickets, (19,000 seats priced at $15 or less), less expensive concession items for kids (hot dogs, corn dogs, popcorn, a small soda or milk for $1.50 each) and inexpensive team shop items (selected D-backs T-shirts are only $8, hats are $7, baseballs and mini-bats are $5 and lapel pins are $3). Then they also have Kids Sundays and Family Fridays. Then they have Sutt and Gracie's Redheads where on Thursday nights, they have a few sections of the middle deck by the foul pole set at a discount price and they give out Redheads T-Shirts and they say that only the craziest fans can sit there. All of the proceeds go to the Diamondbacks Foundation. This is a good way to get fans in the seats on weeknights. (Sutt and Gracie are the D-Backs' Doc and Chico).

I feel that you have to target the families and make the kids say "Dad, I want to see the Devils ice game". Thats what the Diamond-Backs have done, and their attendence has gone up 30% since last year. Now since they are ten years old, the kids from when they first became a team are now getting out of college and are buying season tickets.

Tier pricing would work too. Then the families that can't afford going to normal games can go to games against Florida and weeknight games but still enjoy the excitement of Devils hockey.

One last thing that I'm taking from the Diamond-Backs is that their team president (Derrick Hall) has a chat online with the fans once a month and asks for their suggestions and to just talk about the team. I think that this is good because Mr.Hall listens to peoples' suggestion. Last year, somebody suggested that they should have a kids zone with a playground and wiffleball field, and this year they have one.

Edited by The Rock 07

BTW, DevilinLA:

IMO, you and Martysb3tt3r and all the other newbies who were nominated (or could've been nominated) for the 2008 Hobey Baker Award this year got jobbed! ... But hey, I guess (cough, cough) it's all for fun! :koolaid:

I forgot about another one of my favorite giveaways. In maybe 1990 or 91 they had a license plate bracket giveaway. It said "Next stop Meadowlands Arena" on top and New Jersey Devils on the bottom and had the Devils logo on all four corners. I had that thing as long as I could before it totally faded to oblivion. Something like that would be great, just replace it with "Next stop Prudential Center".

I really agree with some type of Devils Legion ticket package that would include maybe 6-8 games in reasonably priced seats, and throw in a newly created Devils Legion shirt and hat for each ticket in the plan, along with some food vouchers for the Rock for each game. Make it something like $199 per ticket or some other attractive sounding price.

Hey Everyone - Great Feedback!:

Rock07 - I'll be sure to reference the M&P Dept for the D-Backs as amodel!

Skeeter - thanks!

GUYS - 48 Hours Left here to add to this thread and to MAKE YOUR VOICES (or bitching or whatever - he,he) HEARD! :dance::dance::dance:

Keep 'em coming!

-This sounds like a silly one but the souvenir soda cups from the inaugural season were lame. I didn't like the holograms. Believe it or not, cups are a great revenue stream. Soda is very cheap on their end and they can mark the drinks way up. I suggest a series of 4-5 that honor the team's history. One could be captains, one could be All-Stars, one could be SC Champs, one could be retired numbers, one could be Hall of Famers (at least 7 now including Doc, Robinson and Lemaire), one could be uniforms (including KC and Colorado), one could honor Dr. Mac, they could honor memorable moments like the Blackhawks game, Marty's goal, the drafting/signing of Soviet players or Sundstrom's 8 point night. There is a lot of potential here.

-I second the mini-Prudential Center idea. I got the Shea and Yankee Stadium giveaways from this year and they are very cool. They would not be that hard to do.

-However, giveaways cost serious money. I would emphasize quality over quantity. I think 2-3 really nice giveaways (mini arena, bobbleheads) a year is a good start. The pucks, cards, pins and other trinkets could fill up the other days.

-Another pin series like the SC series from a few years back would be cool. They could give out a pin depicting each of the 17 Devils banners. They could stagger it over a few years.

-My suggestions for bobbleheads would be Sarge, Doc, Parise, and the entire coaching staff (think of the ears on the Sutter doll!).

-Finally, I was told by an inside source in Lowell this year that the front office there really wanted to follow up the mascot bobblehead given out the first year with a player doll this past season (Clarkson, Greene, Gionta were the suggestions). Management in NJ said no because they did not want to emphasize any players over the team. Somehow, the S.Gionta mini-bobblehead was added mid-season so I guess Lou could be convinced to bend the rules.

Edited by BCdevil

Thanks LA.

I was at the Alicia Keys concert (suprised the girlfriend) last night at The Rock and I thought of an idea. At Carvel stands in the arena, they should have an option on the menu for "The Stanley Cup". Have it be a jumbo sized or just a souvenir cup of ice cream. Or have the souvenir cups for soda shaped as the Stanley Cup. So the common fan can say that (s)he drank out of the 'Stanley Cup'.

13.) Devils Wig Night

17.) STH Skate Time

3.) More BOBBLEHEADS!!!

7.) Foam Fingers

Best would have to be the Midlantic Bank duffle bag (still in use) or the Sportschannel six pack cooler (also still in use). Worst would be the fan appreciation day mug with the Stroh's logo but NO Devils mention / logo to be found...What were they thinking back then?

I'm all for the cool SGAs, but they won't help bring in more fans unless the Devs do a better job of promoting them.

I know you already know that, DevilinLA. I'm just throwing it out there again so you can somehow work it into the letter -- which is awesome of you to do, by the way! B ):thumbsup:

Edit: Promotion

"Predict the Score" Contest, can be done for away games via Devils website. Can be done at the Rock on a computer/kiosk

Fans pick the score of the game with the complete scoring of the GWG (Goal and assists) or Goalie shootout save, or shootout GWG scorer.

Tiebreak is shots FOR.

Points assinged for correct team score, total score, any of the scoring possibilties.

Per Game

Highest point total gets something. (Ex: 1 game access to Fire/Ice Lounge, Goal Bar)

A 100% including Tiebreak score gets something REAL nice. (Ex: 1 Game Free Restaurant, Club Seating)

Season Winner (points accrued over # games) gets Team Autographed Jersey. With EVERY player that was in the lineup for the course of the season and coaches.

EDIT: Original Post - your choice to include or not

Season Ticket Holder Choice

2 free ROUND TRIP train voucher per seat

or

2 free parking passes

2 people can go in 1 car, but two people need separate passes for the train. so value is about equivalent.

Edited by njdevsfn95

More Great Ideas All Around Guys!!! - Thanks

I'm getting real excited about this, they may choose to ignore it, but if I were in their shoes and got some free feedback from a lot of my diehard audience, I'd at least review it.

1.) Anyone NOT planning on renewing Season Tickets or Partials for any specific reason?

2.) Also curious as to how far back some of you go in season as STH's (for the letter)?

If we can even change ONE THING we've made a difference....jeezs, now I'm starting to sound like a polititian!

GUYS - A little under 48 Hours Left here to add to this thread and to MAKE YOUR VOICES (or bitching or whatever - he,he) HEARD! (I've decided to let this run until 6pm Fri. (P.S.T)

Keep 'em coming!

:dance::dance::dance:

Edited by DevilinLA

$10 tickets are an awesome idea that definitely gets people interested in going to a lot of games. You should list that in the Most Successful Promotions to let them know how good of an idea cheaper tickets are and how much they help in promoting the place.

2.) Also curious as to how far back some of you go in season as STH's (for the letter)?

Well, this past season was my first partial plan. I had the Flex Plan for eight games. Then I bought tickets to eight more additionally. Next year, it depends on the cost on what plans are out there. But I will get a partial plan again.

While some of these are things that the Devils haven't previously done, here are some ones that I found interesting that other teams do:

10% discount on food and beverage.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/rush.htm

Columbus does this as well:

Jackets Night Out

Every Wednesday and Thursday get a buddy and have a Jackets Night Out! Get 2 tickets 2 beers and 2 Donatos pizzas for just $55. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/tickets/jacketsnightout.htm

Nashville Predators Family Four Pack

Starts at only $99 -All packages include

4 tickets, 4 food vouchers good for a jumbo hot dog and a soft drink (4 food passes @ $4.50, 4 drink tickets @ $3.25 = $31), 4 ice skating passes at Centennial Sports Plex (4 @ $6 = $24)

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?service...ge&id=19666

Family Fun Zone: Introducing the Predators' new $19 Family Fun Zone. It's the place to go for family-sized action and entertainment. A $19 Family Fun Zone ticket puts you as close as 75 feet from the ice, getting you close to the action and even closer to your kids. http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?service...esFamilyFunZone

http://predators.nhl.com/team/CaptainsPack.htm (This is from last year, but you'll get the point).

BTW - I've had my tickets for 8 seasons, and some of these I've suggested to them already and nothing has been done about it.

Edited by cj241

They could give away gas, like the Nets: :rimshot:

THE NETS WANT TO GIVE YOU UP TO $17,500 IN FREE GAS!*

Purchase Nets full season tickets by June 26 and get up to $17,500 in free gas!*

As an unprecedented 'thank you' to anyone who commits to buying season tickets for the 2008-09 season from now through Thursday, June 26

I'm getting real excited about this, they may choose to ignore it, but if I were in their shoes and got some free feedback from a lot of my diehard audience, I'd at least review it.

1.) Anyone NOT planning on renewing Season Tickets or Partials for any specific reason?

If we can even change ONE THING we've made a difference....jeezs, now I'm starting to sound like a polititian!

GUYS - A little under 48 Hours Left here to add to this thread and to MAKE YOUR VOICES (or bitching or whatever - he,he) HEARD! (I've decided to let this run until 6pm Fri. (P.S.T)

Keep 'em coming!

I've been a partial season holder since 1987. Either in my friends name or in mine. (Mostly mine.) As I pointed out earlier in this thread, I got a $2.00 discount per ticket for my seats in section 101. I had tickets for 18 games. It was a major disappointment to me that most of the games in my plan were available a few weeks before game time for half price. It is not worth it to me to renew my partial plan. I'll just get them for half price when the discounts come out. I feel I got nothing for my loyalty other than the same seat location.

I'll also go to less games this year.

I've been a partial season holder since 1987. Either in my friends name or in mine. (Mostly mine.) As I pointed out earlier in this thread, I got a $2.00 discount per ticket for my seats in section 101. I had tickets for 18 games. It was a major disappointment to me that most of the games in my plan were available a few weeks before game time for half price. It is not worth it to me to renew my partial plan. I'll just get them for half price when the discounts come out. I feel I got nothing for my loyalty other than the same seat location.

I'll also go to less games this year.

I heard that they lowered some seat prices in or around that area -- balcony behind the goal. Not yours?

I heard that they lowered some seat prices in or around that area -- balcony behind the goal. Not yours?

Maybe they lowered it for full season ticket holders. Partial season ticket holders get generally a small discount per ticket. I think the max was $5.00 a ticket many years ago. I've never gotten my partial season ticket invoice before late July.

Edited by Rock

Maybe they lowered it for full season ticket holders. Partial season ticket holders get generally a small discount per ticket. I think the max was $5.00 a ticket many years ago. I've never gotten my partial season ticket invoice before late July.

Gotcha. ... It was my understanding, just from reading one of the threads in here, that the team was lowering seat prices for everyone in or around your section. I could be wrong, though.