Gas Prices V

sammyk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been traveling the last week and a half. In Orange Co CA it was about 4.75 and in LA I saw up to 4.99. We were able to get it for 4.49 in Costa Mesa and had seen it as low as 4.40 nearby.

In La Vegas it was 4.27 where we got it and that seemed to be the general area near the strip.

In CT Monday it was 4.29 on the way.. on the Merritt Parkway and Rt 95,.... and then on the way home Weds morning all those stations were more like 4.43-4.49. We were bummed we had not stopped on the way... as a 20 cent raise in 2 days was a tad ridiculous. Still getting it for under 4 in Northern NJ

It was not... but I wish I had researched a bit more as I was told by my uncle you get tax break on it and some other perks. Plus the gas thing....obviously lol.

It was not... but I wish I had researched a bit more as I was told by my uncle you get tax break on it and some other perks. Plus the gas thing....obviously lol.

Tax break is done it expired a yr or two ago.

Altima hybrid seem to be 33,500 for the ones I saw, so even with the tax break that would take a lot of money to make up the difference in cost.

How long would it have taken to make up the cost from gas savings.

Depends or the cost of the gas the higher the gas price the faster you make up the difference(Also miles per year driven)

Maybe not, unless Nissan has sold 60,000 Altima Hybrids.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=166067,00.html

I thought the program was over but it appears that they extended it for certain vehicles

Hybrid cost is 33500(it's actually much lower base but I only saw ones with the optional 6500 or so technology pacakage) - 2500 = 31,000 lets assume and MPG is, averaging the two, 34 MPG

Most of the basic Altima's are around 22-23k so we'll use 23k. Average MPG is 27 MPG.

So it's an 8k difference or so in price. We have a 7 MPG or so difference in effeciency. So that leaves us with.

$4/gallon = it costs about 11.76 cents a mile for hybrid and 14.81 cents a mile for the regular. So it would take about 262,000 miles to make up the difference in price.

$3/gallon = ~350,000 miles

---------------------------

If we use the supposed base cost for both models(although good luck finding them) of the altima the difference is only about 2500 dollars so then the miles would be about 82,000 miles until you made up the difference at 4 dollars.